RE: [SACC-L] Archaeology Field Schools at Community Colleges

  • Wenzel, Jason
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
      Thanks to everybody who provided feedback to me regarding field schools. I am compiling all of this information into a folder to reference for our own program development.

      We are fortunate at Brevard Community College to be able to conduct our archaeology field school literally in our own backyard along the Indian River at the Titusville Campus. Our Spring field school will require students to participate at least every two weeks for three hours looking for a site believed to be "Paces Landing"- a 19th Century Seminole Indian trading post. We are not sure if the site has been demolished by rail and utilities projects but that is certianly something we will investigate.

      Our students will be working along with Indian River Anthropological Society, a very active avocational group led by an RPA. IRAS website: http://www.nbbd.com/npr/archaeology-iras/

      In addition to the Paces Landing site, our county (Brevard) is developing a Heritage Park in back of our campus with restored historic structures that students will have the opportunity to work on (for photographs: http://www.nbbd.com/npr/preservation/index.html). In addition to the historic trail and a living history garden (with citrus, pineapples, cotton, etc), accross a bridge on to a minor island we will reconstruct a pre-historic village with shell middens, thatched huts and possibly a pottery kiln where students can get involved in experimental archaeology!

      Our campus is also applying to become a regional host center for the new Florida Public Archaeology Network, where if we are approved we would become the only community college in our state to be involved in such a project (other regional centers in Florida are predominately state universities or their affiliated museums). Site: http://www.flpublicarchaeology.org/ We are hoping that one of the reconstructed homes on the historic trail will serve as an FPAN office and archaeology/history museum.

      While many of these projects have been discussed and planned for quite some time, everything is suddenly coming full steam ahead! I am really exited about the opportunities for archaeology at our community college and I hope, through educational outreach, we may be able to provide opportunities to you all and your students someday in the future to experience history and archaeology first hand, right at a communty college!

      Jason

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
        Okay...I've got a few requests off-list for more information on the
        archaeology field school I direct, so I'll just open it up here once
        again. If you aren't interested in archaeology field schools....delete
        now.

        I think I've got a pretty successful archaeology field school program
        going, at least judging by the numbers...where we get far more
        applicants than we can accomodate every year. Other colleges in my
        region also offer field schools, but are often cancelled due to low
        enrolments. I think the keys are this:

        PROPOSING A ZERO BUDGET. When I proposed the current incarnation of the
        field school back in 1999, the deal was that it wouldn't cost the
        college anything, except in reduced total tuition fees (our regular
        class size is 35, but the field school is 15). Because we didn't have
        any excavation equipment, the first field season was all survey. Over
        the years I've been able to accumulate quite a bit of field and lab
        equipment by borrowing from other departments (eg. geography), making
        annual capital purchase requests, and burying expenses in departmental
        and divisional budgets. I borrow a van to transport equipment from one
        of the very few areas of the college with a vehicle (ie. horticulture),
        which doesn't happen to need it during the weeks of the field school.
        I've now gone through three deans, and the current one just decided to
        provide an extra several hundred dollars a year for the field school
        (without me even asking).

        KEEPING IT LOCAL. When I say local, I mean really local, close to the
        college. My students are required to get to the site of the fieldwork on
        their own. For the past couple of field seasons, this has meant that
        once they get as far as they can by car or public transit, they still
        have a one-hour walk each way. This keeps the transportation costs way
        down. Keeping it local also plays to local media. I've got plenty of
        local media coverage without asking. If you are doing archaeology
        locally, the media will find you. Of course, the college administration
        always loves this. Keeping it local also makes it easy for public
        outreach and participation.
        Keeping it local also means that students can often maintain jobs. Over
        the past seven field seasons, about half of my students have been able
        to keep their jobs as long as they were in the evenings and on weekends.

        This fits well with the typical college demographic of non-traditional
        students. More by coincidence than design, six out of the past seven
        years my field school has been able to include mothers recently
        returned to college, and more than half have been single moms.

        KEEPING IT HISTORIC. I've found that historic archaeology works really
        well for a college field school. For starters, you don't have to budget
        for things like radiocarbon dating. At least in my region, keeping the
        focus on the late 19th and early 20th century means I don't have to get
        government permits, write reports for the goverment, or get permission
        from the local First Nations. I think historic also works really well
        for the students and visitors. It is usually much easier to identify and
        interpret historic artifacts and features.

        WILLINGNESS TO SPEND THE EXTRA TIME AND ENERGY. I don't think there is
        an easy way to get around the extra time and energy it takes to run a
        field school. At least for me, the trade-off is that I get to do field
        archaeology, real dirt archaeology. It does take more time and energy
        than teaching a regular course, but the trade-off can be worth it. It
        seems that for the past few years, around January and Februrary when I
        start working out the details of the upcoming field season, I start to
        grumble a bit about all the work involved, but one of my colleagues
        invariably reminds me that once I'm in the field I enjoy it so, so much.
        Then I stop grumbling and realize that I'm pretty darned lucky to be
        able to teach and do field archaeology.

        COLLABORATIONS. Collaborate, Collaborate, Collaborate. I think college
        administrators love to see collaborations and it makes it easier for the
        archaeologists as well. In my own case, I collaborate with a
        quasi-governmental organization that provides some logistical support,
        including letting me just plug into their existing public education
        programming (eg. public lectures, K-12 school activities, kids summer
        day camps, and public excavation days). Collaborating with college
        colleagues can work as well. For example, two different physical
        geographers collaborate on the mapping and soils analysis. I've also had
        a historian give a lecture on local history on the site where we were
        excavating. I've also been collaborating with an archaeology Ph.D
        student doing local historic archaeology. Dozens of artifacts and
        photographs from our excavations are currently on exhibit at a local
        museum.

        DON'T TRY TO COMPETE WITH THE UNIVERSITIES, BUT GIVE THEM VALUE-ADDED
        EXPERIENCE. There are two universities in my region with quite strong
        archaeology programs, including field schools. I don't try to compete
        with them. I promote the college field school more as a 'sampler' in
        field archaeology. It is still real archaeology, but with basic
        equipment like compasses and tape measures. As I've learned from Mark
        Lewine, who directs an archaeology program at Cuhayoga Community College
        in Ohio, I alway try to give the college students some 'value-added'
        experience, something they are probably not going to get in the first
        two years at a university. The field experience fits this well.
        Sometimes this can be even further enhanced with volunteer opportunities
        associated with the project. Something I've learned from Rob Edwards and
        his archaeology program at Cabrillo in California is to teach the
        students a good work ethic. I may not be able to teach them how to use a
        $15,000 'total station', but I can let them know the importance of
        showing up on time and ready to excavate. I've had many field school
        students who are now making their careers in archaeology. Those I've
        kept in touch with tell me that the value-added experience of having
        completed field work before transferring to unviversity has served them
        very well in their academic studies, as has the reputation of the field
        school requiring an excellent work ethic in gaining paid and volunteer
        work on other field projects.

        Bob Muckle

        >>> cjminar@... 09/29/06 5:39 PM >>>

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
          Bob, I'm not particularly interested in archaeology field schools but
          read it anyway and enjoyed the hell out of it! How 'bout I save this
          for some time when an AN column is due and I have nothing else...?
          Lloyd

          On Oct 4, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

          > Okay...I've got a few requests off-list for more information on the
          > archaeology field school I direct, so I'll just open it up here once
          > again. If you aren't interested in archaeology field schools....delete
          > now.

        • Bob Muckle
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
            Wow...that is some project you've got going there. I wish you every
            success with it and hope to get a first-hand view some day (maybe the
            next time SACC meets in Florida?). I think you certainly have all the
            right ingredients (eg. local, historic, collaboration, and a passionate
            archaeologist). I'm almost salivating at the idea that the heritage park
            will include a prehistoric village with a shell midden, huts, and kiln,
            providing an excellent opportunity for experimental archaeology.

            Bob

            >>> wenzelj@... 10/04/06 12:18 PM >>>

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
              I have loved reading about the growing depth and number of
              community-linked student research programs that we in SACC at community
              colleges are offering. Remember, there will be a session at AAA this
              Nov. chaired by SACC's Pres.-elect Rob Edwards on such programs. We
              should add an extended session at the next SACC meeting...below is a
              summary of the 'field research' program we offer at CCC. Sorry about
              the length, but attachments cannot be sent and there is something in
              there for people with different interests.

              Overview of the Center for Community Research at Cuyahoga Community
              College

              The Center for Community Research (CCR) at Cuyahoga Community
              College (Tri-C), with laboratory at Metro Campus of Tri-C, and two field
              research sites in the central area of Cleveland, Ohio, carried out its
              mission for the twelfth consecutive year of collaborative,
              interdisciplinary, urban community-linked research. The following CCR
              staff provided the leadership in project, lab, camp, and outreach
              activities with the collaboration of a large faculty and
              inter-institutional network of regional support:
              * Dr. Mark Lewine, CCR Director, oversees all CCR activities
              locally and provides regional and national linkages as Anthropology
              Program Coordinator, Tri-C; V.P., Society for Anthropology in Community
              Colleges; national member, Anthropology Education Committee,
              representative for community colleges;
              * Alfred Lee, CCR Director of Research, formerly of the Cleveland
              Museum of Natural History, is the senior archaeologist and directs all
              field and lab research projects; Mr. Lee has taught students at all
              levels in Cleveland, including serving as faculty at both the Metro and
              Western Campuses of Tri-C, presenting research findings to students,
              faculty, administration at Tri-C Eastern Campus
              * Elizabeth Hoag, CCR Research Coordinator, recently joined the
              CCR and Tri-C with expertise in Historical Archaeology, Meso-American
              Archaeology, and Historical Educational Outreach as the former Vice
              President of the Connecticut Historical Society; Elizabeth Hoag,
              Research Coordinator, was approved with stipend as a participant in the
              NEH/OHS seminar for community college educators, "Mounds, Earthworks,
              and Pre-History of the Ohio Valley", 2006.
              * B. Monika Zsigmond, CCR Supervisor of Lab and Field Research;
              shares her time now with the CCR, National Park Service as field
              research project supervisor, and recently was hired as Project
              Supervisor for a large local engineering firm needing her expertise in
              field research projects;
              * Antoinette Swanson, CCR Coordinator of Lab and Field Research
              Collaborative Projects, was recently brought in to the CCR from Levin
              College of Urban Affairs where she is a graduate student and project
              intern; she works with Alfred Lee and Elizabeth Hoag on collaborative
              research projects such as the East High School Urban Archaeology and
              Community Museum Project, the Cozad-Bates Project, and the Shaker Lakes
              Field Research Education Project.

              Collaborative Partnerships

              The following organizations and institutions continue to be our most
              significant collaborative partners in providing underserved urban
              students with stimulating research opportunities in urban communities:
              1. Cuyahoga Community College: our host and central partner with
              whom we share our mission and which provides the community agency
              authority, laboratory for research and oversight for CCR project
              relationships and grants; Tri-C land purchased in our urban
              neighborhoods has provided us with a rich source of undeveloped and
              historically significant land use for our research project sites,
              particularly the Burkhart Site on the former St. Joseph Church property
              at E. 23rd and Woodland Ave., and the Long-Severance Site, at 34th and
              Woodland.
              2. Cleveland Municipal School District: along with Tri-C is our
              core partner for student and faculty project participation in urban
              student research; key partners within CMSD have been the High Tech
              Academy housed at Tri-C and led by Ken Hale; John Marshall High School
              with core CCR high school faculty partner, Jach Schmoll; East High
              School partner for the current two year project discussed below; Camille
              Papagiannis, former Director of Social Studies at the CMSD
              3. Cleveland State University, Levin College of Urban Affairs:
              collaboration with the East High School project; research collaboration
              with faculty member Richard Klein, graduate student intern, Antoinette
              Swanson, undergraduate research intern, Edie Buchanan; Anthropology
              Department faculty member Peter Dunham
              4. Western Reserve Historical Society: collaboration on East High
              School project and for student research projects
              5. Cuyahoga County Archives: collaboration on student research
              projects
              6. Shaker Historical Society (SHS): CCR Director Lewine assisted
              the SHS in developing a new ten year Strategic Plan to include an
              interdisciplinary field research outreach program at the Shaker Lakes
              area for urban and eastern inner ring suburban high school and college
              students as well as citizen volunteers; Drs. Lewine and Bernatowicz
              presented educational programs for the SHS on CCR and other projects
              relating to local history; CCR Research Coordinator Hoag volunteered as
              Education Committee Chair for the SHS Board of Trustees; Lewine, Hoag
              and Bernatowicz were elected to the Board of Trustees for three year
              terms
              7. Kent State University: collaboration with oral history projects
              8. American Anthropological Society (AAA): continuing support for
              national network of community educational outreach projects through
              placement of CCR as national model on AAA website
              9. Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges (SACC): provides
              network of community field research programs with CCR at Tri-C, CCR at
              Capilano College in Vancouver and Archaeology Field School at Cabrillo
              College in California as core programs; publishes CCR research papers in
              journal, "Teaching Anthropology".
              10. Smithsonian Institute: publishes and disseminates CCR project
              work as model in "Anthro Notes", journal for K-12 outreach to K-12
              faculty.

              Community Research Projects

              1. The "Community Linked Historical Research Project", funded by a
              grant from the Ohio Humanities Council (OHC), provided funds to support
              our core project work, urban student research projects with student
              participants and interns, and to support public dissemination through
              display of our project work to students and the community. This
              project, though granted a needed extension because of staff illness and
              the sudden hiring of our CCR Research Director as full-time lecturer at
              the Tri-C Western Campus along with the hiring of our Lab and Field
              Supervisor as Project Director for a regional CRM engineering firm, is
              now on schedule and nearing completion. As published on the OHC website,
              the following is an accurate concise summary of the work:
              * CCR faculty and staff continuously engage in archaeological
              research in our urban Cleveland community by overseeing hands-on work by
              CCC students, student interns and Cleveland area high school students.
              CCC have designed and are building a visual exhibit to share the
              information with area schools, in community agencies and on each of the
              three CCC branch campuses.
              * The new 'visual exhibit, or historical research display for the
              CCR, is designed so that it can be easily portable, and updated as
              information about the Center and its projects changes. Outreach plans
              for the display include setting it up at a number of different local
              venues, including local high schools, colleges, museums, historical
              societies, fairs and markets, Tri-C functions like open registration and
              convocation, and other locations in the community. This will allow us to
              increase our visibility in the community, and to promote our Center's
              student and civic educational programs and the research outcomes
              produced. Physically, it consists of two stackable folding panels
              (each 3' tall and 6' long, broken into three sections). When put
              together, they are folded into a 6' tall triangle. Information on the
              Center is displayed n this triangle through the use of plastic frames
              that adhere to the panels with Velcro fasteners. In addition to the
              display itself, there are also 7 Riker Mount display cases of varying
              size that will be used to house real historic and prehistoric artifacts
              that help the viewer visualize and understand the information in the
              display. The display content is broken down into three subjects areas:
              o First, we highlight the Center and its members, with a
              statement of our mission, the work that we do, and bios of the Tri-C
              staff and faculty that are involved with various projects.
              o Second, we show specific information on some of our recent CCR
              archaeological projects. We specifically focus on some of the Early
              Burkhart occupation materials, showing how archaeology is carried out,
              and how we learn and make inferences about the past based on
              archaeological materials. We focus on how we learned that soap making
              was taking place at the site, and how that related to early settlement
              and urbanization of Cleveland. This section of the display will be
              updated frequently as we undertake more projects and have new things to
              report.
              o Finally, we highlight some of the programming and opportunities
              that the center is offering, including relevant course offerings, field
              schools, internships, volunteer work, and research.
              o We have developed a CCR program outreach schedule to include the
              visual display for the latter part of 2006 and early 2007. Initially we
              will be demonstrating the work of the CCR first to the Tri-C community,
              including the Board of Trustees, central administration, then students,
              faculty, administrations and staff at all 3 campuses of the college. We
              then plan to include programs with the new display at our collaborating
              regional educational and research institutions: Western Reserve
              Historical Society, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland State
              College of Urban Affairs, Cuyahoga County Archives, Kent State
              University, Cleveland Public Library, and others to be named later.

              2. "John Brown, the Barber", an archival and document research
              project, shows great promise for further work by a research team
              following the initial investigations by two of our student research
              interns. A current student research intern, with the help of a former
              student research intern, completed an archival and document research
              project on Brown and found that he was a little-known but highly
              significant contributor to Cleveland history in the early nineteenth
              century. Supervised by CCR/Tri-C historian and Urban Social Scientist
              Nina Turner and CCR/Tri-C historian David Bernatowicz, intern Edie
              Buchanan uncovered evidence of the contribution of Mr. Brown to public
              education for African-American children, to integrated education in
              Cleveland more than one hundred years before Brown vs. Board of
              education, to the earliest civil rights movement in the area, and began
              documentation of the significant role of the barber and the barber shop
              in civic culture in African-American and American society. As we
              disseminate her work, as well as the work of her student research
              mentor, Ray Videc, we are finding many students interested in further
              work on this project. Mr. Videc, in a letter to the CCR and to his Law
              School Admissions Office, cited his work with the CCR on this project as
              the seminal experience that has resulted in his progress as a student
              and his current acceptance to Law School following cum laude
              undergraduate work at the Levin School of Urban Affairs. We are
              currently looking for an appropriate student in a regional graduate
              school in History to conduct a dissertation research project on this
              subject with our CCR student interns and student researchers
              participating in the research team process.

              3. Our core research projects, lab and field historical archaeology
              research studies of our two current sites: the Burkhart Site at E. 23rd
              and Woodland, and the Long-Severance Site at E. 34th and Woodland, have
              involved many urban students from local junior and senior high schools
              as well as Tri-C and local area colleges and universities in their first
              experience with primary and secondary research, with actual field and
              lab research techniques and methods through hands-on, supervised
              activities on site and in our lab. The Burkhart Site, through mainly lab
              processing and analyzing of artifacts by students with research interns
              supervised by CCR professional staff, has yielded two occupations in our
              preliminary findings (see attached) . An earlier occupation (circa
              1830), which included a significant finding of soap manufacturing from
              primary materials on site. The larger finding of a documented
              habitation by a Prussian immigrant family from the 1850's through the
              end of the nineteenth century, the Burkharts, demonstrated domestic
              living patterns with diagnostic social significance through analysis of
              material artifacts indicating social strata, ethnicity, level of
              urbanization, diet, transportation patterns, drug use, commercial
              enterprise, and more. Students exposed to this project over the year
              included twenty eight high school students from one class at John
              Marshall High School in September, 2005, nineteen students from another
              class at John Marshall High School in January 2006. Both classes were
              not only exposed to our historical archaeology projects, but had both
              Research Director Lee and Marshall H.S. social science teacher Jach
              Schmoll gav the students their first exposure to other field research
              sites and a variety of research methods. Our students, volunteers f rom
              the community and selected Tri-C student research interns worked with
              our lab and field research supervisor, Monika Zsigmond to prepare the
              lab materials and assist Research Director Lee in artifact analysis and
              presentation of materials analyzed so that student groups could learn
              effectively in the lab. The high quality of their work was proven not
              only by the student participants and faculty reactions, but by the
              hiring of Ms. Zsigmond by both the National Park Service and the CRM
              Engineering firm.

              * One-to-two day exposures to both lab and field project work were
              experienced by large numbers of anthropology, history and urban study
              students from classes taught by Professors Lewine, Bernatowicz and Hoag
              at Tri-C Metro Campus. Dr. Salem, Case Professor of 2004 in Ohio in
              History and Womens' Studies, who ordinarily would have added her
              students, was on sabbatical leave. All told, two hundred and seventy six
              students from Dr. Lewine's classes were exposed to CCR research projects
              and the research process conducted for them, as well as eighty three
              students from Prof. Berntowicz history classes. Professor Lee involved
              his three hundred and thirty seven students in anthropology and
              archaeology classes at Western Campus in the CCR research projects
              through integration of them in his classes. Few, however, were able to
              be on-site or actually visit the lab due to scheduling and travel
              issues. We hope in the future to provide sites of a similar era in
              Cleveland history in Berea, Ohio, very near the Western Campus. Eastern
              Campus students have not participated often, a few a year sent by
              colleagues after presentations by CCR staff on their campus, but we plan
              to involve them in our future work with the Shaker Historical Society
              near that campus, also in the same time frame.

              * The CCR provided critical lab facilities and professional
              archaeological research leadership by CCR staff for the "Urban
              Archaeology Dig Project", a collaborative project involving East High
              School in Cleveland, Levin College of Urban Affairs of Cleveland State
              University, the Western Reserve Historical Society, and the Cuyahoga
              County Archives. Support for this two year project was provided
              initially by the Discovery Channel then by the Cleveland Municipal
              School District. In both years, the primary project lead was East High
              School and its dynamic social studies teacher along with the Director of
              Education of the Western Reserve Historical Society. As in all these
              projects, collaboration is necessary among many agencies and the CCR
              provided the professional archaeological expertise, supervision, and
              instruction. Our research staff also provided leadership in the
              development of the service learning project, "Bringing Our Neighborhood
              Together", as they helped the students and faculty of East High produce
              the local historical neighborhood museum project. Our CCR lab
              facilities were essential to the second year of the program. We are
              looking forward to adapting this successful model project to other high
              schools in the region. Planning for this has begun with the new John
              Hay High School administration and with the Director of Social Studies
              in the CMSD.

              4. The "Cozad-Bates House Project" is a new and exciting historic
              restoration and educational project involving new partnerships in the
              University Circle area. Our main participation will be the educational
              program and field school development for students and citizens as well
              as involvement by our students and interns in collaborating with the
              community agencies involved with the restoration. This house is one of
              the oldest pre-Civil War structures in the area and the CCR has been
              doing collaborative planning on keeping the structure as a site of
              educational and historical worth for our region. The CCR Research
              Coordinator, Elizabeth Hoag, has taken the lead on this effort and has
              established strong collaborative ties with the community organizational
              leadership, particularly with Joan Southgate of Restore Cleveland Hope.
              University CircleInc., will be a central partner in this effort. Anne
              Swanson, our CCR/CSU Urban Affairs field research supervisor has been
              working on the planning team with Ms. Hoag on this project.

              Community Outreach

              1. The eighth annual Youth Outreach Archaeology Summer Camp in 2006
              involved the usual two sessions during July. For the first time,
              advanced marketing yielded an overflow of participants from all over
              Cuyahoga County and two international visitors, in total, almost twice
              as many youth as ever before. Fifteen students attended the first week,
              directed toward High School aged pupils. All fifteen continued their
              work through the entire week, despite interruptions from heavy rains on
              the first day and occasionally thereafter and the need to do the hard
              work of opening new test units as a maintenance crew had filled in our
              prepared test units. Lab and computer research methods were taught
              during the bad weather periods, thus giving the participants a broader
              educational experience which they appreciated. Two of the participants,
              visitors from Jordan, expressed the desire to continue their field
              experience in the future, both with the CCR and back in Jordan. The
              second session enrolled twelve though six were absent from the first
              day. The remaining six were highly enthusiastic and willing
              participants in all the research activities. They reaped the benefits
              of the cleared units from the first week, and were delighted to make
              discoveries of historic materials in their units.

              2.
              With a surprise discovery of flint tool fragments from prehistoric
              habitation, we submitted a press release on behalf of the CCR and Tri-C
              to the media, and contacted Jeff Maynor, an NBC television news anchor
              who has expressed interest in our activities in the past. We received
              prime time evening news coverage by Channel 3, highlighting the unique
              nature of our Center's research work and our current prehistoric find on
              the site. Four regional newspapers also published very positive stories
              highlighting our students efforts and the Center's program which offers
              this unique opportunity to students.

              I, for one, would like to keep this thread going on the list. For
              a variety of reasons our Arch Tech program has been sending students to
              other field schools the last year or so but are trying to figure a way
              to keep our own going. There are many issues about field work in a
              community college setting including everything from time to do research
              and writing to persuading the school to provide sufficient vehicles and
              drivers.... I'd love to hear more about what issues / solutions have
              been worked out in various programs.
              To Jason... Mari Pritchard-Parker, an adjunct at Pasadena City
              College, is running a field school during the summer in Utah. I don't
              know if she is on this list but you might want to talk with her.

              Jill

              Jill Minar, Ph.d.
              Chair, Department of Anthropology, Economics, and Geography Fresno City
              College
              1101 E. University Avenue
              Fresno, CA 93741

              >My college offers an archaeology field school each year. There have
              >been a couple of articles on it in 'Teaching Anthropology: SACC
              Notes'
              >(one by me and one by three of the students). If you have back issues
              of
              >'Teaching Anthropology' check out the issues for 2002 and 2003.
              >Alternatively, if you have access to AnthroSource then I suggest you
              >just search for 'Capilano College Archaeology Field School.' If you
              >don't have access to AnthroSource or back issues of of 'Teaching
              >Anthropology' let me know your mailing address and I'll put some hard
              >copies in the mail to you.
              >
              >I, and others, will also be talking about field schools in the
              >SACC-sponsored session on community archaeology at the AAA meetings
              this
              >November. So, if you are going to the AAA's you don't want to give
              this
              >a miss.
              >
              >I believe the key to a successful college field school, at least in
              my
              >neck of the woods, is to keep the focus on historic period activities
              >and to seek local community involvement. I can expand off list if you
              so
              >desire.
              >
              >Bob

              >Greetings,
              >
              >I am currently involved in setting up a new archaeology field school
              >slated for the Spring 2007 term at Brevard Community College in
              >Florida.
              >
              >Does anybody work for a community college that offers an archaeology
              >field school to students? If so, please contact me; I am very
              >interested in learning about the program offered at your school.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >
              >Jason Wenzel
              >wenzelj@...
              >

              >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW