Archaeology Field Schools at Community Colleges

  • Wenzel, Jason
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
      Greetings,

      I am currently involved in setting up a new archaeology field school slated for the Spring 2007 term at Brevard Community College in Florida.

      Does anybody work for a community college that offers an archaeology field school to students? If so, please contact me; I am very interested in learning about the program offered at your school.

      Thanks,

      Jason Wenzel
      wenzelj@...
    • rob edwards
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
        Hi Jason, Welcome to the pits. A number of us do such classes, some on
        weekends ans some during the Summer. We have a session scheduled for the
        AAA meetings on Community Archaeology, if you are able to attend. You
        can check the Cabrillo College Archaeological Technology Program (we
        have a vocational training program) web site.
        see /http://www.cabrillo.edu/academics/archtech /and we have organized
        a Consortium of area colleges to use the Summer Program for those
        interested students from different schools. see
        /pathwaystoarchaeology.org /Also let me plug a new intro text by Rob't
        Muckle /"Introducing Archaeology" /from Broadview Press. Bob is a SACC
        stalwart and does do his own field school near Vancouver, BC. I look
        forward to discussing this at future SACC fests. Cheers
        Wenzel, Jason wrote:

        >Greetings,
        >
        >I am currently involved in setting up a new archaeology field school slated for the Spring 2007 term at Brevard Community College in Florida.
        >
        >Does anybody work for a community college that offers an archaeology field school to students? If so, please contact me; I am very interested in learning about the program offered at your school.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Jason Wenzel
        >wenzelj@...
        >

        >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW ADDRESS!!) for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bob Muckle
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
          Jason,

          My college offers an archaeology field school each year. There have
          been a couple of articles on it in 'Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes'
          (one by me and one by three of the students). If you have back issues of
          'Teaching Anthropology' check out the issues for 2002 and 2003.
          Alternatively, if you have access to AnthroSource then I suggest you
          just search for 'Capilano College Archaeology Field School.' If you
          don't have access to AnthroSource or back issues of of 'Teaching
          Anthropology' let me know your mailing address and I'll put some hard
          copies in the mail to you.

          I, and others, will also be talking about field schools in the
          SACC-sponsored session on community archaeology at the AAA meetings this
          November. So, if you are going to the AAA's you don't want to give this
          a miss.

          I believe the key to a successful college field school, at least in my
          neck of the woods, is to keep the focus on historic period activities
          and to seek local community involvement. I can expand off list if you so
          desire.

          Bob

          >>> wenzelj@... 09/29/06 7:47 AM >>>

        • cjminar@ix.netcom.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
            Hi Bob and all..

            I, for one, would like to keep this thread going on the list. For a variety of reasons our Arch Tech program has been sending students to other field schools the last year or so but are trying to figure a way to keep our own going. There are many issues about field work in a community college setting including everything from time to do research and writing to persuading the school to provide sufficient vehicles and drivers.... I'd love to hear more about what issues / solutions have been worked out in various programs.
            To Jason... Mari Pritchard-Parker, an adjunct at Pasadena City College, is running a field school during the summer in Utah. I don't know if she is on this list but you might want to talk with her.

            Jill

            Jill Minar, Ph.d.
            Chair, Department of Anthropology, Economics, and Geography
            Fresno City College
            1101 E. University Avenue
            Fresno, CA 93741

            >My college offers an archaeology field school each year. There have
            >been a couple of articles on it in 'Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes'
            >(one by me and one by three of the students). If you have back issues of
            >'Teaching Anthropology' check out the issues for 2002 and 2003.
            >Alternatively, if you have access to AnthroSource then I suggest you
            >just search for 'Capilano College Archaeology Field School.' If you
            >don't have access to AnthroSource or back issues of of 'Teaching
            >Anthropology' let me know your mailing address and I'll put some hard
            >copies in the mail to you.
            >
            >I, and others, will also be talking about field schools in the
            >SACC-sponsored session on community archaeology at the AAA meetings this
            >November. So, if you are going to the AAA's you don't want to give this
            >a miss.
            >
            >I believe the key to a successful college field school, at least in my
            >neck of the woods, is to keep the focus on historic period activities
            >and to seek local community involvement. I can expand off list if you so
            >desire.
            >
            >Bob

            >Greetings,
            >
            >I am currently involved in setting up a new archaeology field school
            >slated for the Spring 2007 term at Brevard Community College in
            >Florida.
            >
            >Does anybody work for a community college that offers an archaeology
            >field school to students? If so, please contact me; I am very
            >interested in learning about the program offered at your school.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Jason Wenzel
            >wenzelj@...
            >

            >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW ADDRESS!!) for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Wenzel, Jason
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
              Thanks to everybody who provided feedback to me regarding field schools. I am compiling all of this information into a folder to reference for our own program development.

              We are fortunate at Brevard Community College to be able to conduct our archaeology field school literally in our own backyard along the Indian River at the Titusville Campus. Our Spring field school will require students to participate at least every two weeks for three hours looking for a site believed to be "Paces Landing"- a 19th Century Seminole Indian trading post. We are not sure if the site has been demolished by rail and utilities projects but that is certianly something we will investigate.

              Our students will be working along with Indian River Anthropological Society, a very active avocational group led by an RPA. IRAS website: http://www.nbbd.com/npr/archaeology-iras/

              In addition to the Paces Landing site, our county (Brevard) is developing a Heritage Park in back of our campus with restored historic structures that students will have the opportunity to work on (for photographs: http://www.nbbd.com/npr/preservation/index.html). In addition to the historic trail and a living history garden (with citrus, pineapples, cotton, etc), accross a bridge on to a minor island we will reconstruct a pre-historic village with shell middens, thatched huts and possibly a pottery kiln where students can get involved in experimental archaeology!

              Our campus is also applying to become a regional host center for the new Florida Public Archaeology Network, where if we are approved we would become the only community college in our state to be involved in such a project (other regional centers in Florida are predominately state universities or their affiliated museums). Site: http://www.flpublicarchaeology.org/ We are hoping that one of the reconstructed homes on the historic trail will serve as an FPAN office and archaeology/history museum.

              While many of these projects have been discussed and planned for quite some time, everything is suddenly coming full steam ahead! I am really exited about the opportunities for archaeology at our community college and I hope, through educational outreach, we may be able to provide opportunities to you all and your students someday in the future to experience history and archaeology first hand, right at a communty college!

              Jason

              ________________________________

              I, for one, would like to keep this thread going on the list. For a variety of reasons our Arch Tech program has been sending students to other field schools the last year or so but are trying to figure a way to keep our own going. There are many issues about field work in a community college setting including everything from time to do research and writing to persuading the school to provide sufficient vehicles and drivers.... I'd love to hear more about what issues / solutions have been worked out in various programs.
              To Jason... Mari Pritchard-Parker, an adjunct at Pasadena City College, is running a field school during the summer in Utah. I don't know if she is on this list but you might want to talk with her.

              Jill

              Jill Minar, Ph.d.
              Chair, Department of Anthropology, Economics, and Geography
              Fresno City College
              1101 E. University Avenue
              Fresno, CA 93741

              >My college offers an archaeology field school each year. There have
              >been a couple of articles on it in 'Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes'
              >(one by me and one by three of the students). If you have back issues of
              >'Teaching Anthropology' check out the issues for 2002 and 2003.
              >Alternatively, if you have access to AnthroSource then I suggest you
              >just search for 'Capilano College Archaeology Field School.' If you
              >don't have access to AnthroSource or back issues of of 'Teaching
              >Anthropology' let me know your mailing address and I'll put some hard
              >copies in the mail to you.
              >
              >I, and others, will also be talking about field schools in the
              >SACC-sponsored session on community archaeology at the AAA meetings this
              >November. So, if you are going to the AAA's you don't want to give this
              >a miss.
              >
              >I believe the key to a successful college field school, at least in my
              >neck of the woods, is to keep the focus on historic period activities
              >and to seek local community involvement. I can expand off list if you so
              >desire.
              >
              >Bob

              >Greetings,
              >
              >I am currently involved in setting up a new archaeology field school
              >slated for the Spring 2007 term at Brevard Community College in
              >Florida.
              >
              >Does anybody work for a community college that offers an archaeology
              >field school to students? If so, please contact me; I am very
              >interested in learning about the program offered at your school.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >
              >Jason Wenzel
              >wenzelj@...
              >

              >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW ADDRESS!!) for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.
              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bob Muckle
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                Okay...I've got a few requests off-list for more information on the
                archaeology field school I direct, so I'll just open it up here once
                again. If you aren't interested in archaeology field schools....delete
                now.

                I think I've got a pretty successful archaeology field school program
                going, at least judging by the numbers...where we get far more
                applicants than we can accomodate every year. Other colleges in my
                region also offer field schools, but are often cancelled due to low
                enrolments. I think the keys are this:

                PROPOSING A ZERO BUDGET. When I proposed the current incarnation of the
                field school back in 1999, the deal was that it wouldn't cost the
                college anything, except in reduced total tuition fees (our regular
                class size is 35, but the field school is 15). Because we didn't have
                any excavation equipment, the first field season was all survey. Over
                the years I've been able to accumulate quite a bit of field and lab
                equipment by borrowing from other departments (eg. geography), making
                annual capital purchase requests, and burying expenses in departmental
                and divisional budgets. I borrow a van to transport equipment from one
                of the very few areas of the college with a vehicle (ie. horticulture),
                which doesn't happen to need it during the weeks of the field school.
                I've now gone through three deans, and the current one just decided to
                provide an extra several hundred dollars a year for the field school
                (without me even asking).

                KEEPING IT LOCAL. When I say local, I mean really local, close to the
                college. My students are required to get to the site of the fieldwork on
                their own. For the past couple of field seasons, this has meant that
                once they get as far as they can by car or public transit, they still
                have a one-hour walk each way. This keeps the transportation costs way
                down. Keeping it local also plays to local media. I've got plenty of
                local media coverage without asking. If you are doing archaeology
                locally, the media will find you. Of course, the college administration
                always loves this. Keeping it local also makes it easy for public
                outreach and participation.
                Keeping it local also means that students can often maintain jobs. Over
                the past seven field seasons, about half of my students have been able
                to keep their jobs as long as they were in the evenings and on weekends.

                This fits well with the typical college demographic of non-traditional
                students. More by coincidence than design, six out of the past seven
                years my field school has been able to include mothers recently
                returned to college, and more than half have been single moms.

                KEEPING IT HISTORIC. I've found that historic archaeology works really
                well for a college field school. For starters, you don't have to budget
                for things like radiocarbon dating. At least in my region, keeping the
                focus on the late 19th and early 20th century means I don't have to get
                government permits, write reports for the goverment, or get permission
                from the local First Nations. I think historic also works really well
                for the students and visitors. It is usually much easier to identify and
                interpret historic artifacts and features.

                WILLINGNESS TO SPEND THE EXTRA TIME AND ENERGY. I don't think there is
                an easy way to get around the extra time and energy it takes to run a
                field school. At least for me, the trade-off is that I get to do field
                archaeology, real dirt archaeology. It does take more time and energy
                than teaching a regular course, but the trade-off can be worth it. It
                seems that for the past few years, around January and Februrary when I
                start working out the details of the upcoming field season, I start to
                grumble a bit about all the work involved, but one of my colleagues
                invariably reminds me that once I'm in the field I enjoy it so, so much.
                Then I stop grumbling and realize that I'm pretty darned lucky to be
                able to teach and do field archaeology.

                COLLABORATIONS. Collaborate, Collaborate, Collaborate. I think college
                administrators love to see collaborations and it makes it easier for the
                archaeologists as well. In my own case, I collaborate with a
                quasi-governmental organization that provides some logistical support,
                including letting me just plug into their existing public education
                programming (eg. public lectures, K-12 school activities, kids summer
                day camps, and public excavation days). Collaborating with college
                colleagues can work as well. For example, two different physical
                geographers collaborate on the mapping and soils analysis. I've also had
                a historian give a lecture on local history on the site where we were
                excavating. I've also been collaborating with an archaeology Ph.D
                student doing local historic archaeology. Dozens of artifacts and
                photographs from our excavations are currently on exhibit at a local
                museum.

                DON'T TRY TO COMPETE WITH THE UNIVERSITIES, BUT GIVE THEM VALUE-ADDED
                EXPERIENCE. There are two universities in my region with quite strong
                archaeology programs, including field schools. I don't try to compete
                with them. I promote the college field school more as a 'sampler' in
                field archaeology. It is still real archaeology, but with basic
                equipment like compasses and tape measures. As I've learned from Mark
                Lewine, who directs an archaeology program at Cuhayoga Community College
                in Ohio, I alway try to give the college students some 'value-added'
                experience, something they are probably not going to get in the first
                two years at a university. The field experience fits this well.
                Sometimes this can be even further enhanced with volunteer opportunities
                associated with the project. Something I've learned from Rob Edwards and
                his archaeology program at Cabrillo in California is to teach the
                students a good work ethic. I may not be able to teach them how to use a
                $15,000 'total station', but I can let them know the importance of
                showing up on time and ready to excavate. I've had many field school
                students who are now making their careers in archaeology. Those I've
                kept in touch with tell me that the value-added experience of having
                completed field work before transferring to unviversity has served them
                very well in their academic studies, as has the reputation of the field
                school requiring an excellent work ethic in gaining paid and volunteer
                work on other field projects.

                Bob Muckle

                >>> cjminar@... 09/29/06 5:39 PM >>>

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
                  Bob, I'm not particularly interested in archaeology field schools but
                  read it anyway and enjoyed the hell out of it! How 'bout I save this
                  for some time when an AN column is due and I have nothing else...?
                  Lloyd

                  On Oct 4, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Bob Muckle wrote:

                  > Okay...I've got a few requests off-list for more information on the
                  > archaeology field school I direct, so I'll just open it up here once
                  > again. If you aren't interested in archaeology field schools....delete
                  > now.

                • Bob Muckle
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
                    Wow...that is some project you've got going there. I wish you every
                    success with it and hope to get a first-hand view some day (maybe the
                    next time SACC meets in Florida?). I think you certainly have all the
                    right ingredients (eg. local, historic, collaboration, and a passionate
                    archaeologist). I'm almost salivating at the idea that the heritage park
                    will include a prehistoric village with a shell midden, huts, and kiln,
                    providing an excellent opportunity for experimental archaeology.

                    Bob

                    >>> wenzelj@... 10/04/06 12:18 PM >>>

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 5, 2006
                      I have loved reading about the growing depth and number of
                      community-linked student research programs that we in SACC at community
                      colleges are offering. Remember, there will be a session at AAA this
                      Nov. chaired by SACC's Pres.-elect Rob Edwards on such programs. We
                      should add an extended session at the next SACC meeting...below is a
                      summary of the 'field research' program we offer at CCC. Sorry about
                      the length, but attachments cannot be sent and there is something in
                      there for people with different interests.

                      Overview of the Center for Community Research at Cuyahoga Community
                      College

                      The Center for Community Research (CCR) at Cuyahoga Community
                      College (Tri-C), with laboratory at Metro Campus of Tri-C, and two field
                      research sites in the central area of Cleveland, Ohio, carried out its
                      mission for the twelfth consecutive year of collaborative,
                      interdisciplinary, urban community-linked research. The following CCR
                      staff provided the leadership in project, lab, camp, and outreach
                      activities with the collaboration of a large faculty and
                      inter-institutional network of regional support:
                      * Dr. Mark Lewine, CCR Director, oversees all CCR activities
                      locally and provides regional and national linkages as Anthropology
                      Program Coordinator, Tri-C; V.P., Society for Anthropology in Community
                      Colleges; national member, Anthropology Education Committee,
                      representative for community colleges;
                      * Alfred Lee, CCR Director of Research, formerly of the Cleveland
                      Museum of Natural History, is the senior archaeologist and directs all
                      field and lab research projects; Mr. Lee has taught students at all
                      levels in Cleveland, including serving as faculty at both the Metro and
                      Western Campuses of Tri-C, presenting research findings to students,
                      faculty, administration at Tri-C Eastern Campus
                      * Elizabeth Hoag, CCR Research Coordinator, recently joined the
                      CCR and Tri-C with expertise in Historical Archaeology, Meso-American
                      Archaeology, and Historical Educational Outreach as the former Vice
                      President of the Connecticut Historical Society; Elizabeth Hoag,
                      Research Coordinator, was approved with stipend as a participant in the
                      NEH/OHS seminar for community college educators, "Mounds, Earthworks,
                      and Pre-History of the Ohio Valley", 2006.
                      * B. Monika Zsigmond, CCR Supervisor of Lab and Field Research;
                      shares her time now with the CCR, National Park Service as field
                      research project supervisor, and recently was hired as Project
                      Supervisor for a large local engineering firm needing her expertise in
                      field research projects;
                      * Antoinette Swanson, CCR Coordinator of Lab and Field Research
                      Collaborative Projects, was recently brought in to the CCR from Levin
                      College of Urban Affairs where she is a graduate student and project
                      intern; she works with Alfred Lee and Elizabeth Hoag on collaborative
                      research projects such as the East High School Urban Archaeology and
                      Community Museum Project, the Cozad-Bates Project, and the Shaker Lakes
                      Field Research Education Project.

                      Collaborative Partnerships

                      The following organizations and institutions continue to be our most
                      significant collaborative partners in providing underserved urban
                      students with stimulating research opportunities in urban communities:
                      1. Cuyahoga Community College: our host and central partner with
                      whom we share our mission and which provides the community agency
                      authority, laboratory for research and oversight for CCR project
                      relationships and grants; Tri-C land purchased in our urban
                      neighborhoods has provided us with a rich source of undeveloped and
                      historically significant land use for our research project sites,
                      particularly the Burkhart Site on the former St. Joseph Church property
                      at E. 23rd and Woodland Ave., and the Long-Severance Site, at 34th and
                      Woodland.
                      2. Cleveland Municipal School District: along with Tri-C is our
                      core partner for student and faculty project participation in urban
                      student research; key partners within CMSD have been the High Tech
                      Academy housed at Tri-C and led by Ken Hale; John Marshall High School
                      with core CCR high school faculty partner, Jach Schmoll; East High
                      School partner for the current two year project discussed below; Camille
                      Papagiannis, former Director of Social Studies at the CMSD
                      3. Cleveland State University, Levin College of Urban Affairs:
                      collaboration with the East High School project; research collaboration
                      with faculty member Richard Klein, graduate student intern, Antoinette
                      Swanson, undergraduate research intern, Edie Buchanan; Anthropology
                      Department faculty member Peter Dunham
                      4. Western Reserve Historical Society: collaboration on East High
                      School project and for student research projects
                      5. Cuyahoga County Archives: collaboration on student research
                      projects
                      6. Shaker Historical Society (SHS): CCR Director Lewine assisted
                      the SHS in developing a new ten year Strategic Plan to include an
                      interdisciplinary field research outreach program at the Shaker Lakes
                      area for urban and eastern inner ring suburban high school and college
                      students as well as citizen volunteers; Drs. Lewine and Bernatowicz
                      presented educational programs for the SHS on CCR and other projects
                      relating to local history; CCR Research Coordinator Hoag volunteered as
                      Education Committee Chair for the SHS Board of Trustees; Lewine, Hoag
                      and Bernatowicz were elected to the Board of Trustees for three year
                      terms
                      7. Kent State University: collaboration with oral history projects
                      8. American Anthropological Society (AAA): continuing support for
                      national network of community educational outreach projects through
                      placement of CCR as national model on AAA website
                      9. Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges (SACC): provides
                      network of community field research programs with CCR at Tri-C, CCR at
                      Capilano College in Vancouver and Archaeology Field School at Cabrillo
                      College in California as core programs; publishes CCR research papers in
                      journal, "Teaching Anthropology".
                      10. Smithsonian Institute: publishes and disseminates CCR project
                      work as model in "Anthro Notes", journal for K-12 outreach to K-12
                      faculty.

                      Community Research Projects

                      1. The "Community Linked Historical Research Project", funded by a
                      grant from the Ohio Humanities Council (OHC), provided funds to support
                      our core project work, urban student research projects with student
                      participants and interns, and to support public dissemination through
                      display of our project work to students and the community. This
                      project, though granted a needed extension because of staff illness and
                      the sudden hiring of our CCR Research Director as full-time lecturer at
                      the Tri-C Western Campus along with the hiring of our Lab and Field
                      Supervisor as Project Director for a regional CRM engineering firm, is
                      now on schedule and nearing completion. As published on the OHC website,
                      the following is an accurate concise summary of the work:
                      * CCR faculty and staff continuously engage in archaeological
                      research in our urban Cleveland community by overseeing hands-on work by
                      CCC students, student interns and Cleveland area high school students.
                      CCC have designed and are building a visual exhibit to share the
                      information with area schools, in community agencies and on each of the
                      three CCC branch campuses.
                      * The new 'visual exhibit, or historical research display for the
                      CCR, is designed so that it can be easily portable, and updated as
                      information about the Center and its projects changes. Outreach plans
                      for the display include setting it up at a number of different local
                      venues, including local high schools, colleges, museums, historical
                      societies, fairs and markets, Tri-C functions like open registration and
                      convocation, and other locations in the community. This will allow us to
                      increase our visibility in the community, and to promote our Center's
                      student and civic educational programs and the research outcomes
                      produced. Physically, it consists of two stackable folding panels
                      (each 3' tall and 6' long, broken into three sections). When put
                      together, they are folded into a 6' tall triangle. Information on the
                      Center is displayed n this triangle through the use of plastic frames
                      that adhere to the panels with Velcro fasteners. In addition to the
                      display itself, there are also 7 Riker Mount display cases of varying
                      size that will be used to house real historic and prehistoric artifacts
                      that help the viewer visualize and understand the information in the
                      display. The display content is broken down into three subjects areas:
                      o First, we highlight the Center and its members, with a
                      statement of our mission, the work that we do, and bios of the Tri-C
                      staff and faculty that are involved with various projects.
                      o Second, we show specific information on some of our recent CCR
                      archaeological projects. We specifically focus on some of the Early
                      Burkhart occupation materials, showing how archaeology is carried out,
                      and how we learn and make inferences about the past based on
                      archaeological materials. We focus on how we learned that soap making
                      was taking place at the site, and how that related to early settlement
                      and urbanization of Cleveland. This section of the display will be
                      updated frequently as we undertake more projects and have new things to
                      report.
                      o Finally, we highlight some of the programming and opportunities
                      that the center is offering, including relevant course offerings, field
                      schools, internships, volunteer work, and research.
                      o We have developed a CCR program outreach schedule to include the
                      visual display for the latter part of 2006 and early 2007. Initially we
                      will be demonstrating the work of the CCR first to the Tri-C community,
                      including the Board of Trustees, central administration, then students,
                      faculty, administrations and staff at all 3 campuses of the college. We
                      then plan to include programs with the new display at our collaborating
                      regional educational and research institutions: Western Reserve
                      Historical Society, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland State
                      College of Urban Affairs, Cuyahoga County Archives, Kent State
                      University, Cleveland Public Library, and others to be named later.

                      2. "John Brown, the Barber", an archival and document research
                      project, shows great promise for further work by a research team
                      following the initial investigations by two of our student research
                      interns. A current student research intern, with the help of a former
                      student research intern, completed an archival and document research
                      project on Brown and found that he was a little-known but highly
                      significant contributor to Cleveland history in the early nineteenth
                      century. Supervised by CCR/Tri-C historian and Urban Social Scientist
                      Nina Turner and CCR/Tri-C historian David Bernatowicz, intern Edie
                      Buchanan uncovered evidence of the contribution of Mr. Brown to public
                      education for African-American children, to integrated education in
                      Cleveland more than one hundred years before Brown vs. Board of
                      education, to the earliest civil rights movement in the area, and began
                      documentation of the significant role of the barber and the barber shop
                      in civic culture in African-American and American society. As we
                      disseminate her work, as well as the work of her student research
                      mentor, Ray Videc, we are finding many students interested in further
                      work on this project. Mr. Videc, in a letter to the CCR and to his Law
                      School Admissions Office, cited his work with the CCR on this project as
                      the seminal experience that has resulted in his progress as a student
                      and his current acceptance to Law School following cum laude
                      undergraduate work at the Levin School of Urban Affairs. We are
                      currently looking for an appropriate student in a regional graduate
                      school in History to conduct a dissertation research project on this
                      subject with our CCR student interns and student researchers
                      participating in the research team process.

                      3. Our core research projects, lab and field historical archaeology
                      research studies of our two current sites: the Burkhart Site at E. 23rd
                      and Woodland, and the Long-Severance Site at E. 34th and Woodland, have
                      involved many urban students from local junior and senior high schools
                      as well as Tri-C and local area colleges and universities in their first
                      experience with primary and secondary research, with actual field and
                      lab research techniques and methods through hands-on, supervised
                      activities on site and in our lab. The Burkhart Site, through mainly lab
                      processing and analyzing of artifacts by students with research interns
                      supervised by CCR professional staff, has yielded two occupations in our
                      preliminary findings (see attached) . An earlier occupation (circa
                      1830), which included a significant finding of soap manufacturing from
                      primary materials on site. The larger finding of a documented
                      habitation by a Prussian immigrant family from the 1850's through the
                      end of the nineteenth century, the Burkharts, demonstrated domestic
                      living patterns with diagnostic social significance through analysis of
                      material artifacts indicating social strata, ethnicity, level of
                      urbanization, diet, transportation patterns, drug use, commercial
                      enterprise, and more. Students exposed to this project over the year
                      included twenty eight high school students from one class at John
                      Marshall High School in September, 2005, nineteen students from another
                      class at John Marshall High School in January 2006. Both classes were
                      not only exposed to our historical archaeology projects, but had both
                      Research Director Lee and Marshall H.S. social science teacher Jach
                      Schmoll gav the students their first exposure to other field research
                      sites and a variety of research methods. Our students, volunteers f rom
                      the community and selected Tri-C student research interns worked with
                      our lab and field research supervisor, Monika Zsigmond to prepare the
                      lab materials and assist Research Director Lee in artifact analysis and
                      presentation of materials analyzed so that student groups could learn
                      effectively in the lab. The high quality of their work was proven not
                      only by the student participants and faculty reactions, but by the
                      hiring of Ms. Zsigmond by both the National Park Service and the CRM
                      Engineering firm.

                      * One-to-two day exposures to both lab and field project work were
                      experienced by large numbers of anthropology, history and urban study
                      students from classes taught by Professors Lewine, Bernatowicz and Hoag
                      at Tri-C Metro Campus. Dr. Salem, Case Professor of 2004 in Ohio in
                      History and Womens' Studies, who ordinarily would have added her
                      students, was on sabbatical leave. All told, two hundred and seventy six
                      students from Dr. Lewine's classes were exposed to CCR research projects
                      and the research process conducted for them, as well as eighty three
                      students from Prof. Berntowicz history classes. Professor Lee involved
                      his three hundred and thirty seven students in anthropology and
                      archaeology classes at Western Campus in the CCR research projects
                      through integration of them in his classes. Few, however, were able to
                      be on-site or actually visit the lab due to scheduling and travel
                      issues. We hope in the future to provide sites of a similar era in
                      Cleveland history in Berea, Ohio, very near the Western Campus. Eastern
                      Campus students have not participated often, a few a year sent by
                      colleagues after presentations by CCR staff on their campus, but we plan
                      to involve them in our future work with the Shaker Historical Society
                      near that campus, also in the same time frame.

                      * The CCR provided critical lab facilities and professional
                      archaeological research leadership by CCR staff for the "Urban
                      Archaeology Dig Project", a collaborative project involving East High
                      School in Cleveland, Levin College of Urban Affairs of Cleveland State
                      University, the Western Reserve Historical Society, and the Cuyahoga
                      County Archives. Support for this two year project was provided
                      initially by the Discovery Channel then by the Cleveland Municipal
                      School District. In both years, the primary project lead was East High
                      School and its dynamic social studies teacher along with the Director of
                      Education of the Western Reserve Historical Society. As in all these
                      projects, collaboration is necessary among many agencies and the CCR
                      provided the professional archaeological expertise, supervision, and
                      instruction. Our research staff also provided leadership in the
                      development of the service learning project, "Bringing Our Neighborhood
                      Together", as they helped the students and faculty of East High produce
                      the local historical neighborhood museum project. Our CCR lab
                      facilities were essential to the second year of the program. We are
                      looking forward to adapting this successful model project to other high
                      schools in the region. Planning for this has begun with the new John
                      Hay High School administration and with the Director of Social Studies
                      in the CMSD.

                      4. The "Cozad-Bates House Project" is a new and exciting historic
                      restoration and educational project involving new partnerships in the
                      University Circle area. Our main participation will be the educational
                      program and field school development for students and citizens as well
                      as involvement by our students and interns in collaborating with the
                      community agencies involved with the restoration. This house is one of
                      the oldest pre-Civil War structures in the area and the CCR has been
                      doing collaborative planning on keeping the structure as a site of
                      educational and historical worth for our region. The CCR Research
                      Coordinator, Elizabeth Hoag, has taken the lead on this effort and has
                      established strong collaborative ties with the community organizational
                      leadership, particularly with Joan Southgate of Restore Cleveland Hope.
                      University CircleInc., will be a central partner in this effort. Anne
                      Swanson, our CCR/CSU Urban Affairs field research supervisor has been
                      working on the planning team with Ms. Hoag on this project.

                      Community Outreach

                      1. The eighth annual Youth Outreach Archaeology Summer Camp in 2006
                      involved the usual two sessions during July. For the first time,
                      advanced marketing yielded an overflow of participants from all over
                      Cuyahoga County and two international visitors, in total, almost twice
                      as many youth as ever before. Fifteen students attended the first week,
                      directed toward High School aged pupils. All fifteen continued their
                      work through the entire week, despite interruptions from heavy rains on
                      the first day and occasionally thereafter and the need to do the hard
                      work of opening new test units as a maintenance crew had filled in our
                      prepared test units. Lab and computer research methods were taught
                      during the bad weather periods, thus giving the participants a broader
                      educational experience which they appreciated. Two of the participants,
                      visitors from Jordan, expressed the desire to continue their field
                      experience in the future, both with the CCR and back in Jordan. The
                      second session enrolled twelve though six were absent from the first
                      day. The remaining six were highly enthusiastic and willing
                      participants in all the research activities. They reaped the benefits
                      of the cleared units from the first week, and were delighted to make
                      discoveries of historic materials in their units.

                      2.
                      With a surprise discovery of flint tool fragments from prehistoric
                      habitation, we submitted a press release on behalf of the CCR and Tri-C
                      to the media, and contacted Jeff Maynor, an NBC television news anchor
                      who has expressed interest in our activities in the past. We received
                      prime time evening news coverage by Channel 3, highlighting the unique
                      nature of our Center's research work and our current prehistoric find on
                      the site. Four regional newspapers also published very positive stories
                      highlighting our students efforts and the Center's program which offers
                      this unique opportunity to students.

                      I, for one, would like to keep this thread going on the list. For
                      a variety of reasons our Arch Tech program has been sending students to
                      other field schools the last year or so but are trying to figure a way
                      to keep our own going. There are many issues about field work in a
                      community college setting including everything from time to do research
                      and writing to persuading the school to provide sufficient vehicles and
                      drivers.... I'd love to hear more about what issues / solutions have
                      been worked out in various programs.
                      To Jason... Mari Pritchard-Parker, an adjunct at Pasadena City
                      College, is running a field school during the summer in Utah. I don't
                      know if she is on this list but you might want to talk with her.

                      Jill

                      Jill Minar, Ph.d.
                      Chair, Department of Anthropology, Economics, and Geography Fresno City
                      College
                      1101 E. University Avenue
                      Fresno, CA 93741

                      >My college offers an archaeology field school each year. There have
                      >been a couple of articles on it in 'Teaching Anthropology: SACC
                      Notes'
                      >(one by me and one by three of the students). If you have back issues
                      of
                      >'Teaching Anthropology' check out the issues for 2002 and 2003.
                      >Alternatively, if you have access to AnthroSource then I suggest you
                      >just search for 'Capilano College Archaeology Field School.' If you
                      >don't have access to AnthroSource or back issues of of 'Teaching
                      >Anthropology' let me know your mailing address and I'll put some hard
                      >copies in the mail to you.
                      >
                      >I, and others, will also be talking about field schools in the
                      >SACC-sponsored session on community archaeology at the AAA meetings
                      this
                      >November. So, if you are going to the AAA's you don't want to give
                      this
                      >a miss.
                      >
                      >I believe the key to a successful college field school, at least in
                      my
                      >neck of the woods, is to keep the focus on historic period activities
                      >and to seek local community involvement. I can expand off list if you
                      so
                      >desire.
                      >
                      >Bob

                      >Greetings,
                      >
                      >I am currently involved in setting up a new archaeology field school
                      >slated for the Spring 2007 term at Brevard Community College in
                      >Florida.
                      >
                      >Does anybody work for a community college that offers an archaeology
                      >field school to students? If so, please contact me; I am very
                      >interested in learning about the program offered at your school.
                      >
                      >Thanks,
                      >
                      >Jason Wenzel
                      >wenzelj@...
                      >

                      >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW