Re: [SACC-L] Survey of national populations--acceptance of evolution

    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 20, 2006
      Bill, if I recall correctly, Jonathan Marks related this incident to
      a large gathering at a AAA meeting; I was in the audience and heard
      it. This is how I remember it: A Yale anthropology professor
      planning to take a sabbatical asked his dean who he'd recommend to
      take over the introductory anthropology course. The dean recommended
      Margaret Mead, so she was hired as an adjunct to teach that course
      during the sabbatical. Apparently, Mead didn't want to bother with
      grades so she gave all the students in the class As, Dubya among
      them. According to Marks, it was the only A grade Dubya received as
      a Yale undergraduate.

      Now I don't know if the story is apocryphal, but "felt good" to
      believe it.

      Lloyd

      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 20, 2006
        Bill, the story that I was told is that 'Dubya' got his only A in college from Margaret Mead who was replacing a friend at Yale on Sabbatical. She announced that she did not believe in grading her students so that everyone in the class received an A.