Introducing Archaeology

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14, 2006
      For all of those who have requested an exam copy of 'Introducing
      Archaeology':

      There apparently has been some kind of problem with getting the
      instructor's manual, test bank, and powerpoint on a CD so the publisher
      has delayed sending the exam copies. They prefer to send the text and
      the cd at once.
      The publisher tells me that it should be ready to send in early
      October. However, for those who have already adopted it for the current
      term, they can easily burn a copy and send it if you want. If you are in
      rush to make a text decision for January, then they can send the book
      now and the cd later if you make that request. I'm going to be
      out-of-town and away from email for the next 10-12 days so you will have
      to make the request directly.

      I apologize, once again, for using the listserve for my own commercial
      interests. I know that quite a few people have requested the book, but
      don't know their names to notify them individually.

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14, 2006
        We had a discussion about commercial stuff when the list first started
        and I arbitrarily decided (POWER, HA HA) that it was good and proper
        for folks to let us all know about things like books and software that
        have a bearing on anthropology or teaching. That is the sort of thing
        that SACC is for and not all that likely to turn up in next week's issue
        of Science.

        What I would say doesn't belong is folks pushing their insurance
        businesses or other such non-anthropological/ non-educational
        activities. I hope that this is satisfactory to everyone.

        Take care!

        Ann Popplestone AAB, BA, MA

        CCC Metro TLC

        216-987-3584

        FAX:707-924-2471

        ________________________________

      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14, 2006
          Thanks - and don't feel bad about using the list - you are communicating about a genuine concern of ours ( finding a good text!).
          Mike Pavlik

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 15, 2006
            Dear SACC Member,

            SACC has a new web team, working to create an attractive, user friendly,
            and content filled website of educational and professional value for our
            members and site visitors. The team members are Dianne Chidester, Rob
            Edwards, Chuck Ellenbaum, Lloyd Miller, Bob Muckle, Ann Popplestone,
            Phil Stein, Rebecca Stein, Mark Tromans, and Ann Kaupp and Deborah
            Shepherd as co-chairs. Deborah is also our webmaster. We intend to start
            modestly and add new content sections as we are able.

            THIS ENDEAVOR CANNOT BE A SUCCESS WITHOUT YOUR HELP. The website will
            include separate pages on member profiles, publications, fieldwork
            projects, and student opportunities (including teaching projects and
            fieldtrips). We want visitors to the site to learn not only about SACC
            but also about its members. Guidelines for your submissions are below.

            Note: Please keep your profile, fieldwork, and student opportunities
            entries to no more than one or two paragraphs or 150 words each
            (approximately half a page). All entries will be edited by the web task
            force.

            Re: Publications
            a. If you have more than 8, include only a representative selection or
            the most recent (past three years, give or take).
            b. Send clean, complete, and accurate bibliographic entries and sort
            into chronological order from oldest to newest.
            c. Sort out between books and articles.
            d. If the title isn't self-explanatory, include a one-sentence summary.
            e. We can link to your personal web site, if you wish. Provide the full
            link.

            Re: Profiles
            In your profile include information on where you work, your research,
            classes taught, email address, and personal web page links (optional).

            Re: Fieldwork
            Describe your fieldwork projects. This page will be sorted by project,
            not person.

            Re: Student Opportunities
            teaching projects and fieldtrips (sorted by project).

            Email your entries to Ann Kaupp, kauppa@... Your prompt response
            will be most appreciated. Our target date for this first phase is
            SEPTEMBER 29.

            The Web Task Force
          • rob edwards
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 15, 2006
              How about a page for the 2007 Annual Meeting? see attached

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 15, 2006
                No attachment, Rob.

                P. Ann Kaupp, Head
                Anthropology Outreach Office
                Smithsonian Institution
                PO Box 37012
                NHB MRC 112
                Washington, DC 20012-7012
                (202) 633-1917
                kauppa@...
                http://www.nmnh.si.edu/anthro//outreach/outrch1.html

                Kaupp, Ann wrote:

                >Dear SACC Member,
                >
                >SACC has a new web team, working to create an attractive, user
                friendly,
                >and content filled website of educational and professional value for
                our
                >members and site visitors. The team members are Dianne Chidester, Rob
                >Edwards, Chuck Ellenbaum, Lloyd Miller, Bob Muckle, Ann Popplestone,
                >Phil Stein, Rebecca Stein, Mark Tromans, and Ann Kaupp and Deborah
                >Shepherd as co-chairs. Deborah is also our webmaster. We intend to
                start
                >modestly and add new content sections as we are able.
                >
                >THIS ENDEAVOR CANNOT BE A SUCCESS WITHOUT YOUR HELP. The website will
                >include separate pages on member profiles, publications, fieldwork
                >projects, and student opportunities (including teaching projects and
                >fieldtrips). We want visitors to the site to learn not only about SACC
                >but also about its members. Guidelines for your submissions are below.
                >
                >Note: Please keep your profile, fieldwork, and student opportunities
                >entries to no more than one or two paragraphs or 150 words each
                >(approximately half a page). All entries will be edited by the web
                task
                >force.
                >
                >Re: Publications
                >a. If you have more than 8, include only a representative selection or
                >the most recent (past three years, give or take).
                >b. Send clean, complete, and accurate bibliographic entries and sort
                >into chronological order from oldest to newest.
                >c. Sort out between books and articles.
                >d. If the title isn't self-explanatory, include a one-sentence summary.
                >e. We can link to your personal web site, if you wish. Provide the full
                >link.
                >
                >Re: Profiles
                >In your profile include information on where you work, your research,
                >classes taught, email address, and personal web page links (optional).

                >Re: Fieldwork
                >Describe your fieldwork projects. This page will be sorted by project,
                >not person.
                >
                >Re: Student Opportunities
                >teaching projects and fieldtrips (sorted by project).
                >

                >Email your entries to Ann Kaupp, kauppa@... Your prompt response
                >will be most appreciated. Our target date for this first phase is
                >SEPTEMBER 29.
                >
                >The Web Task Force
                >

                >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW
                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • rob edwards
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 15, 2006
                  I would like to have Cabrillo's Archaeological Technology Program which
                  also lists our Summer Field Professional/Vocational Training Classes for
                  2007 (/http:/www.cabrillo.edu/academic/archtech//) and the California
                  Consortium for Archaeological Technology [ 25 Community Colleges and 4
                  Universities] (P/athwaystoArchaeology.org/) be linked to SACC. Is there
                  something specific I need to do? Cheers !

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 18, 2006
                    Rob, can you provide a short one parag. write up along with the website
                    for each of these programs? Also a person to contact if necessary to
                    include in your parag. unless you think the website will suffice. Ann

                    Kaupp, Ann wrote:

                    >Dear SACC Member,
                    >
                    >SACC has a new web team, working to create an attractive, user
                    friendly,
                    >and content filled website of educational and professional value for
                    our
                    >members and site visitors. The team members are Dianne Chidester, Rob
                    >Edwards, Chuck Ellenbaum, Lloyd Miller, Bob Muckle, Ann Popplestone,
                    >Phil Stein, Rebecca Stein, Mark Tromans, and Ann Kaupp and Deborah
                    >Shepherd as co-chairs. Deborah is also our webmaster. We intend to
                    start
                    >modestly and add new content sections as we are able.
                    >
                    >THIS ENDEAVOR CANNOT BE A SUCCESS WITHOUT YOUR HELP. The website will
                    >include separate pages on member profiles, publications, fieldwork
                    >projects, and student opportunities (including teaching projects and
                    >fieldtrips). We want visitors to the site to learn not only about SACC
                    >but also about its members. Guidelines for your submissions are below.
                    >
                    >Note: Please keep your profile, fieldwork, and student opportunities
                    >entries to no more than one or two paragraphs or 150 words each
                    >(approximately half a page). All entries will be edited by the web
                    task
                    >force.
                    >
                    >Re: Publications
                    >a. If you have more than 8, include only a representative selection or
                    >the most recent (past three years, give or take).
                    >b. Send clean, complete, and accurate bibliographic entries and sort
                    >into chronological order from oldest to newest.
                    >c. Sort out between books and articles.
                    >d. If the title isn't self-explanatory, include a one-sentence summary.
                    >e. We can link to your personal web site, if you wish. Provide the full
                    >link.
                    >
                    >Re: Profiles
                    >In your profile include information on where you work, your research,
                    >classes taught, email address, and personal web page links (optional).

                    >Re: Fieldwork
                    >Describe your fieldwork projects. This page will be sorted by project,
                    >not person.
                    >
                    >Re: Student Opportunities
                    >teaching projects and fieldtrips (sorted by project).
                    >

                    >Email your entries to Ann Kaupp, kauppa@... Your prompt response
                    >will be most appreciated. Our target date for this first phase is
                    >SEPTEMBER 29.
                    >
                    >The Web Task Force
                    >

                    >Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW
                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Dear SACC Members,

                      The new SACC website is making good progress. We have a Welcome page;
                      announcement of Annual Meeting in Monterey; and information on Joining
                      SACC, SACC Board Members, History of SACC, Archaeology Research Update,
                      and Archaeology Teaching Resources. Deborah is waiting to receive
                      permission from her school to use their address before the site can be
                      up and running.

                      This website is an opportunity to give visibility to the contributions
                      of community college educators and to SACC (and of course to those
                      teaching at four year colleges too). To date, we have received only a
                      handful of member profiles, publications, fieldwork, and student
                      opportunities, which will be separate pages on the website. Please take
                      a few minutes over the weekend to prepare your entries and send your
                      submissions to kauppa@... Guidelines for your submissions are below.
                      Remember that your input will make this a much richer and informative
                      site.

[...]

                      teaching projects and fieldtrips (sorted by project) to include short
                      description, contact person, and dates if known.

                      The Web Task Force