RE: [SACC-L] Survey of national populations--acceptance of evolution

  • Dianne Chidester
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 6, 2006
      Thanks to everyone for making this such an interesting thread.

      Everyplace I've lived (OH, NC, SC, SD, KY, FL, SC) has been part of the
      so-called "Bible Belt." For me, however, probably the most "liberal"
      state I've lived in is NC. That may surprise some of you. I think
      there are class issues involved here. Lloyd's question about Archie
      Bunker being Republican is something I've wondered about my own family.

      I don't always get to teach a section on evolutionary theory, but I do a
      very brief introduction to it in nearly every class. I do, however,
      spend a great deal of time on the characteristics of science,
      pseudoscience, and religion. I use a chart from an issue of "Skeptical
      Inquirer" and this really helps students understand the differences.
      Many of my students believe that if they "believe" in evolution, they
      have to give up their traditional faith and if they have faith, it is in
      direct opposition to science. It's the usual case of "either/or, not
      both" that we see so often in cultures and, I think, this "binary-ness"
      is really pronounced in American culture.

      I use this lecture at the beginning of the semester in both anthropology
      and sociology for a number of reasons: to teach the scientific method
      (which they sort of remember); to help explain why scientists tell them
      to use a drug and then not use it (Vioxx, for example); and to show that
      the social sciences are, indeed, science.

      Quite a few students have sent thank you notes to me for explaining the
      differences. Since students usually only write to complain, I'm
      thinking I'm doing something right!

      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 20, 2006
        Bill, the story that I was told is that 'Dubya' got his only A in college from Margaret Mead who was replacing a friend at Yale on Sabbatical. She announced that she did not believe in grading her students so that everyone in the class received an A.