RE: [SACC-L] Teaching Evolution

  • Hare II, William E
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
      Hi,

      I have avoided any heated debate about this issue by establishing the
      following guidelines:

      1. Respect everyone's world view (including science)
      2. Understand that my job is to present the scientific point of
      view and the student's job is to be able to explain it.
      3. I will correct any misuse of logical thinking or scientific
      argument.

      I am currently working on the course objectives for Intro to Anth and
      will probably have to include something similar to what Phil has written
      below.

      Will Hare
      Three Rivers Community College

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
        A student sent this information to me. -- Diannae

        (link)
        http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=87&art_id=qw1157357
        884508A162

        (Story)
        Furious evolution debate hits Kenyan museum

        September 04 2006 at 11:31AM

        By Lillian Omariba

        Nairobi - The global debate between scientists and conservative
        Christians over evolution has hit Kenya, where an exhibit of one of the
        world's finest collections of early hominid fossils is under threat.

        As the famed National Museum of Kenya (NMK) prepares to re-open next
        year after massive EU-funded renovations, evangelicals are demanding the
        display be removed or at least shunted to a less prominent location.

        The Origins Of Man exhibit, comprised of pre-historic finds from around
        Africa's Great Rift Valley considered by many to be the cradle of
        humanity, is offensive as it promotes Charles Darwin's theory of
        evolution, they say.

        "When museums put it out there that man evolved from apes, theologically
        they are affecting many people who are Christians, who believe God
        created us," says Bishop Boniface Adoyo, who is leading a campaign
        against the exhibit.

        "It's creating a big weapon against Christians that's killing our
        faith," he told AFP, calling evolution theory an "insult" and dangerous
        to youths. "When children go to museums they'll start believing we
        evolved from these apes.

        "This is not the truth," said Adoyo, pastor of Nairobi's "Christ is the
        Answer Ministries" and chairman of the Evangelical Alliance of Kenya,
        which claims to represent churches of 35 denominations with nine million
        members.

        "I can't stand it, neither can other Christians," he said.

        The bishop's high-profile drive to force the government-funded museum to
        downgrade what is arguably its most important collection has put him
        squarely at odds with the scientific community and curators.

        Many of the fossils were discovered by legendary paleontologists Louis
        and Mary Leakey in east Africa whose pre-historic finds around the
        Olduvai Gorge, Lake Victoria and Lake Turkana are seen by many as proof
        of Darwin's theory.

        Their son, Richard, himself a noted anthropologist and conservationist,
        is particularly disturbed by the furore and is speaking out against what
        he says is a misguided attempt to reject sound science.

        "The church is being ridiculous," he told AFP. "The church leaders are
        out of step. They should concentrate on their faith and leave scientists
        to concentrate on their historical work and defend it."

        "Evolution theory is accepted across the world," he said. "This is
        scientific history and Kenya has the best of this evolutional history.
        Globally, few can match that claim to fame."

        Officials at the museum, which houses priceless items including remains
        of hominid species dating back 1,7 million to 1,2 million years, are
        loath to get involved in the fractious debate but defend the exhibition.

        "The fossils have confirmed Kenya's position as the cradle of mankind
        and have drawn large numbers of visitors," the museum said in a
        statement released shortly after Adoyo launched his campaign.

        In an email response to questions posed by AFP, NMK director general
        Farah Iddle said the museum "strives to accommodate divergent views and
        ideas".

        "However, it also has the responsibility of ensuring that the integral
        research findings that have been developed over time are preserved," he
        said.

        "This includes the fossil collection that's the scientific evidence that
        shows the relationship between apes' fossils dated millions of years
        back and the modern man."

        Exact display plans for the exhibit when the 75-year-old museum re-opens
        in June 2007 are still being discussed but officials said they hope to
        keep it in a position of prominence among three new re-designed
        galleries.

        What will not likely change, they say, is the placement of a huge bronze
        sculpture outside the museum's main gate, which depicts a series of
        figures from ape to humans gradually becoming more erect as they walk

        The content of this electronic communication is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed and may contain sensitive, confidential or privileged information. The dissemination, retransmission or use of any information by any person other than the intended recipient or recipients is strictly prohibited. This item has been scanned for virus and malware infection and is free from known infections.

      • Renee Garcia
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
          I too teach in Southern California, Saddleback College in Mission Viejo
          specifically. Dangerously close to Saddleback Church. I have to say that I
          have never encountered the number of students who are creationists by
          training as I have here. I would say at least 6% of every class is a
          creationist, this includes my online students who admit more freely that
          they are creationists. They however specify a belief in microevolution but
          not macroevolution.

          I would suggest that if you believe you don't have creationists in your
          classes they are simply not admitting that they are and choose to fulfill
          the course requirements. They can pass the bio. anthropology without
          "believing" in evolution. However, I think the more sinister aspect of this
          issue is that both Intelligent Design and Creationism work to discredit
          science in general. In this regard, for the last few years I have taken more
          time explaining the scientific method its value and the steps specifically.
          I have also shown the evolution series doc entitled "What about God?" and I
          explain that unlike the popular arguments of both Id'ers and Creationists,
          scientists have never, to my knowledge, worked to discredit faith. In fact,
          most of us I think would rather never even discuss it as this would be the
          poorest example of the use of scientific methodology.

          I have tried to express to my students that the point is not that science
          discredits the Bible, the point is that science and faith are two completely
          different systems. I also explain that there is a necessity to understand
          the underlying issues involved in creationism and Intelligent Design namely
          political agendas. This of course takes us into other discussion
          possibilities, but it allows them to understand perspectives they may not
          have recognized previously.

          However, I must confess that I am considering not teaching Bio Anthro 1
          online in the future. This venue makes discussion difficult for me to really
          explain the issues. I know that I reach a level of frustration after I've
          explained the concepts over and over, but lack the ability to go further.
          Does anyone have suggestions from personal experience teaching online A1
          courses?

          Renee

          Renee Garcia, MA
          Saddleback College
          Dept. of Anthropology
          Universite de Bordeaux I
          Anthropologie Biologique

          -------
          NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown
          in the headers. The real sender of this message is:
          sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@...
          o.com

          If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
          need to add
          sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@...
          o.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see
          the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
          http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Pamela Ford
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
            It's so much fun to read about others' experiences with these issues in the
            classroom and our various approaches. We do teach in a conservative area of
            southern California, in fact a region that has been relatively isolated (the
            Inland Empire, aka the "IE" on LA news.) So, here, I always have students
            who tell me that they won't "believe it."

            I spend the semester of Physical Anthropology describing SCIENCE. We
            discuss natural selection as a working hypothesis/tentative explanation for
            evolutionary change. I don't use or encourage the use of the word "theory"
            because it always comes with the prefix "justa-" and is therefore fraught
            with meaning in students' minds but meaningless in my mind. (We use
            "hypothesis" a lot.) And this theme weaves its way through the entire
            semester.

            In Cultural Anthropology, I've come to use the term "supernaturalism" for
            the heading of religion, magic, witchcraft and more (as per Jacob Pandian at
            CSU Fullerton). It's a helpful concept because it also allows discussion of
            how things may be accepted on FAITH but they are not testable so not
            scientific. If it's needed in the Physical class, I go back to describe how
            supernaturalism is used to explain things for which we have limited
            understanding (why did my neighbor die in that particular traffic accident?)
            and that supernaturalism provides value-laden explanations that are so
            important for keeping culture on the right track. But those are not the
            explanations that bring us antibiotics, or new traffic lights, or the return
            of the extinct dinosaurs.

            I actually enjoy the challenge of helping students to both understand
            science and appreciate the value of supernaturalism. (Even though there are
            occasionally those who get hot about the issue. Those are usually recent
            converts, I think.) I always refuse to "debate" ID and Natural Selection.

            Oops, I didn't mean to "talk" so much....professional hazard. Have a great
            teaching day!

            ~Pam

            Pamela Ford
            Chair, Department for World Studies
            Mt. San Jacinto College
            1499 N. State Street
            San Jacinto, CA 92583
            951.487-3725

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
              Have enjoyed everyone's thoughtful remarks. If you feel it's time for a
              little levity, you might enjoy the following.

              FOR LEXOPHILES (LOVERS OF WORDS): Read Carefully

              1. A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.

              2. A will is a dead giveaway.

              3. Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

              4. A backward poet writes inverse.

              5. In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism,
              it's your Count that votes.

              6. A chicken crossing the road: poultry in motion.

              7. If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.

              8. With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.

              9. Show me a piano falling down a mine shaft and I'll show you
              A-flat miner.

              10. When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.

              11. The guy who fell onto an upholstery machine was fully recovered.

              12. A grenade fell onto a kitchen floor in France, resulted in Linoleum
              Blownapart.

              13. You are stuck with your debt if you can't budge it.

              14. Local Area Network in Australia: The LAN down under.

              15. He broke into song because he couldn't find the key.

              16. A calendar's days are numbered.

              17. A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

              18. A boiled egg is hard to beat.

              19. He had a photographic memory which was never developed.

              20. A plateau is a high form of flattery.

              21. A short fortuneteller who escaped from prison: a small medium at
              large.

              22. Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the
              end.

              23. When you've seen one shopping center you've seen a mall.

              24. If you jump off a Paris bridge, you are in Seine.

              25. When she saw her first strands of gray hair, she thought she'd dye.

              26. Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead to know basis.

              27. Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.

              28. Acupuncture: a jab well done.

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
                That's great, Ann! Thanks, I needed the laugh.
                LLoyd

                On Sep 6, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Kaupp, Ann wrote:

                > Have enjoyed everyone's thoughtful remarks. If you feel it's time
                > for a
                > little levity, you might enjoy the following.
                >
                > FOR LEXOPHILES (LOVERS OF WORDS): Read Carefully

              • Lynch, Brian M
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Renee,
                  You say that you tell your students “scientists have never, to my knowledge, worked to discredit faith.” Of course, the potential challenge to “faith” from the evolutionary perspective is not just a matter of scientists’ conscious, personal efforts to credit or discredit others' belief systems. (Nonetheless, I have known many scientists who either implicitly or explicitly presented science as a necessary antidote to religion, and this is not a minor strain in the social history of western science.) Even our surprise that more Americans don’t show up in the surveys as accepting evolutionary theory, reflects a set of assumptions like--- “you’d think Americans would be smarter than that” or “ you’d think Americans would be more scientifically based than that,” “…more rational than that,” “…more advanced than that” etc. that reflect a set of implicit judgments about “faith” and “science” (and U.S. American “superiority” based on these?)

                  At the same time, as anthropologists, can we afford to be less nuanced about our understanding of the relationships between “knowledge” and “belief systems” when we are looking close to home, than when looking at far-away “others?” We wouldn’t, for example, feel comfortable expressing wonderment or surprise, that some traditionally-studied culture also possessed significant pharmacological or technical skills; we wouldn’t be asking ourselves “Hey! If they are so adept at discovering cures for their ills based on materials in their surrounding environment (science!) why do they still hold those irrational beliefs in supernatural forces and beings?” We accept that the two "ways of knowing" can coexist in the same society/culture, and that the two are not mutually exclusive, nor does one necessarily preclude or supersede the other. And can’t we likewise expect to find them co-existing in our own culture? Then the interesting question become things like: how do they co-exist, and why do they co-exist (and I mean here not “co-exist” as in “get along well together,” but exist, as “social facts” at the same time, in the same culture, for better or worse).

                  I don't intend to suggest here that as anthropologists we should just accept that one explanation is just as good as another--that they somehow all should just be accepted as equally valuable (...sounds like an awfully familiar mischaracterization of cultural anthropology's cultural relativism!) In political battles over textbooks and school curriculums we certainly have roles to play, among other things to say, "if you want to teach SCIENCE, 'intelligent design' isn't it!" But in understanding this all from an anthropological perspective, we have to challenge ourselves to use the same tools of comparative, historical, economic, cultural analysis toward our own society that we commonly expect in studying "others."

                  I once had a professor who prided himself as a "Renaissance Man." He studied anthropology and geography, and could teach just about anything from what we now know as the "five fields" of the discipline. I admired him greatly and learned much from him about physical anthropology, paleo anthropology, archaeology, and so much more. When he learned at some point that I was involved with the local campus "Newman Parish" (a Catholic Parish for students hosted just to the edge of our state-college campus) he wondered (many times, out loud) how I could reconcile this with "real anthropology." But that didn't strike me as much as the fact that in his discussion of this he made reference to a famous Catholic scientist/theologian/anthropologist/priest who he conflated with "The Catholic Church" as an illustration of how "The Church" (as he imagined was embodied by this learned scholar) "rejected evolution." This esteemed professor of mine had the story wrong on all counts, and to my knowledge never went back to check his historical accuracy. He was so convinced that "The Church" was "against evolution," (back in the 1970's) that he filtered his historical understanding through this erroneous "fact." And it all came out wrong.

                  To over-simplify it just a bit (!!) the theologian/anthropologist/philosopher/priest was Teilhard de Chardin, and in fact he embraced evolutionary theory "to an extreme," moving from the physical to the metaphysical. He saw the model of change that it reflected, and carried the model out beyond the realm of science, into theology. The Catholic Church, on the other hand, didn't reject him (or evolution) as far as he/it went scientifically. Officially the Church accepted that as long as "science" in its materialist explanation didn't simply conclude "that's all there is," it would be perfectly compatible with "faith." On the other hand, it initially rejected Teilhard because he carried out the logic and the model of evolution beyond the limits of the observable, and entered into territory that the church felt came dangerously close to challenging some of its fundamental theological explanations of God, sin, and "human nature."

                  I guess it was probably easier, with a bunch of undergraduate anthro majors, to conflate all this, say "the church rejects evolution," and move on to our human osteology manual, or to the latest notes on Koobi Fora, or to the outlines of contemporary cultural theory. It certainly served the purpose of highlighting ("for heuristic purposes," he would often say!) that professor's message about the primacy of science. It is interesting, at the same time, to see where "scientists" (my anthro professor and Teilhard included) are ready to settle in their pursuit of study of cause-and-effect chains in their world.

                  Brian

                  sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@... <mailto:sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare%3Dtrcc.commnet.edu%40returns.groups.yaho>
                  o.com

                  If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
                  need to add
                  sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@... <mailto:sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare%3Dtrcc.commnet.edu%40returns.groups.yaho>
                  o.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see
                  the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
                  http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender <http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender>

                  NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown in the headers. The real sender of this message is: sentto-126016-3522-1157565797-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...

                  If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would need to add sentto-126016-3522-1157565797-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@... to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see the Anti-Spam FAQ item: http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
                • Philip Stein
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
                    Brian and all,

                    You make a very important point about knowledge versus belief systems. I always wait for the question: "Do you believe in evolution?" This enables me to discuss this important difference and that knowledge and belief systems do not necessarily conflict.

                    What disturbs me most is the lack of critical thinking. I am amused by the suggestion that we should teach both evolution and intelligent design to students and let them make up their mind, as if they have the tools to make a valid judgement.

                    I did have one creationist in my class many years ago. I had no idea what his beliefs were, but as he left the final he handed me a book to read. It was a creationist text. I actually read a great deal of it since I had never read a creationist text before, but it was full with misrepresentation of data and ideas and the application of crazy "logic." But he was an A student and I really admired him for taking the course even though he was a creationist. I can respect this. I cannot assume that everyone will reach the same "enlightened" conclusion as I, but the misrepretation of evolutionary theory is unforgivable.

                    There are two books I just purchased and have begun to read. They both look like they will be very useful in framing my lecture on intelligent design. (Yes, I do teach intelligent design. But I also critique it!) They are:

                    John Brockman (ed.), Intgelligent Thought: Science versus the Intelligent Design Movement. This is a collection of essays by 16 "preeminent thinkers whose clear, accessible, and passionate essays reveal the fact and power of Darwin's theory, and the beauty of the scientific quest to understand our world."

                    Michael Shermer, Why Darwin Matters. At the beginning, the part I have read, Shermer presents a good history and analysis of intelligent design.

                    Another wonderful source is the 136-page decision by Judge Jones in the Dover, PA, case last December. It is wonderfully written and quite detailed, although you have to wade through the legal stuff. What makes is especially good is that the judge is a conversation Bush appointee. A good place to get a copy is on the talkorigins web site.

                    Phil

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 7, 2006
                      Renee --
                      I also teach Physical Anthropology online and have not had any "problems"
                      with students insisting on including their religious ideology in their
                      written assignments. Perhaps that is because I include the following
                      paragraph in my online (and lecture) syllabus:
                      Scientific Method and Science Viewpoint
                      This class satisfies the General Education Requirement Area 5 in
                      Biological/Life Sciences. As such, the class is taught from a scientific
                      point of view, using the scientific method (hypotheses building and testing)
                      and scientific facts (verifiable truths). We will be examining biological
                      relationships and behavioral similarities between nonhuman primates (monkeys
                      and apes) and humans, in addition to studying the evolution of hominids
                      (bipedal primates) from the common ancestor we share with chimpanzees and
                      bonobos. While I realize that some of you have a belief system as to how
                      humans were created that may contradict the scientific theory of evolution,
                      in this class you are required to base all of your answers to assignments
                      and test questions on the scientific evidence of evolution, not on your
                      religious ideology. If you find it impossible to segregate your religious
                      beliefs in the context of this course, I would suggest that you drop the
                      class. If you do include your religious ideology in your answer, you will
                      receive a zero on the assignment or test answer.

                      I also have students that persist in their religious ideology, but perfrom
                      perfectly well on their exams. One student told me that while she doesn't
                      "believe" in evolution, she has no problem basing her answers on
                      evolutionary theory. I also make it clear to students that it is not
                      impossible to believe in evolution and be a Christian -- that both are
                      different ways to look at the world, based on "different" methodologies, and
                      are not mutually exclusive.
                      I don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd add my two cents...
                      Monica Bellas
                      Cerritos College
                      Norwalk, CA

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 8, 2006
                        I've been interested in hearing from instructors who don't get a lot of
                        religious flack from their students. Frankly, I don't think it matters
                        what you say in your syllabus or on the first day of class. I use all
                        the same statements and arguments myself. It is simply a matter of
                        demographics. My college is suburban and very, very Euro-American. Most
                        students here are local and first-generation college students, and a
                        great many are weekly attendees and members of large, fundamentalist
                        churches. I experience several problems:

                        1. The student registers without reading the course description and
                        really has no clear idea what the course is about. They only know that
                        it fits into their schedule and helps them to fulfill "area 10"
                        requirements.

                        2. They assume that I will give "equal time" to creationism and
                        intelligent design because (a) that's what their high school teachers
                        did, or (b) they've been told by their parents or their ministers that
                        "equal time" is to be expected.

                        3. They oppose evolution and are taking the course just to convince
                        themselves further that they are right. One student told me he took the
                        course on a dare from his girlfriend. These students are rarely happy,
                        and there's nothing I expect to do about that.

                        My goal is to teach to the students who are interested and receptive.
                        If any of the others come around, they can do so on their own terms.

                        When I give students the first-day reality check, about 5% have to drop
                        the course because they can't live with the fact that I respectfully do
                        not and will not abide by #2 because religion is not a part of
                        anthropology.

                        One last observation: we are not the only ones to have problems with
                        some evangelical Christians. A History colleague surprised me by saying
                        that he had to cope with students in Ancient and Medieval History who
                        object to the teaching of events or social conditions where Christians
                        are shown in an unfavorable light.

                        No wonder my college is in a town called "Coon Rapids" which the local
                        populace has adamantly refused to allow to be renamed! But that goes off
                        on another tangent.

                        Deborah

                        Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
                        Anthropology and Sociology
                        Anoka-Ramsey Community College
                        Coon Rapids Campus
                        email: deborah.shepherd@...
                        http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
                        new phone number: 763-433-1195

                      • Bob Muckle
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 8, 2006
                          The first time I taught the human evoution course I had a young woman
                          stay after class to talk with me. It took about 30 seconds for her to
                          break into tears, letting me know that she didn't want to take the
                          course but needed it as a requirement. She was really hoping that I
                          could somehow get the requirement waived for her. She came from a family
                          of missionaries and this was her ambition as well, after getting a
                          degree in social work. I simply explained to her that she didn't have to
                          give up her own beliefs to do well in the course and it really couldn't
                          hurt to know what the people she believed were her opponents thought and
                          how they came to their conclusions. I also assured her that I would
                          frame test questions so that she wouldn't have difficulty answering
                          because of her belief system (eg. starting questions with such phrases
                          as "According to...." or "Scientific research shows..."). The student
                          did complete the course, but no more was said about our little
                          conversation. I moved on to another college hundreds of miles away and
                          never thought of the student again. Until four years later I received a
                          call from the student who just wanted to let me know that she was now in
                          her first year in a graduate program, in Anthropology!

                          Also...I think I've mentioned this before, but I think an excellent way
                          to start the course is with the Nova program 'God, Darwin, and
                          Dinosaurs.' It uses the Creation vs. Evolution debate, especially the
                          teaching of creationism in schools, to inform students about the nature
                          of science. It does a good job, in my opinion, of exploring the question
                          'What is science?" and answering it. Although the program came out quite
                          a few years ago, as it focuses on school board decisions, it still
                          appears contemporary.

                          Bob
                        • Pamela Ford
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 8, 2006
                            It's that evidence of outright fear in some of our students that really
                            bothers me. I suspect while so many are unskilled at any kind of critical
                            thinking, they become terrified of an idea that's not part of the segment of
                            the world they occupy. (The irony is that the same young people can rebel
                            with tattoos and piercings, but not with new intellectual concepts!) I feel
                            compelled to work with them since anthropology is the only discipline where
                            we can consider both biological data and behavioral data in order to
                            understand humans on a grand scale. If a student is fighting hard not to
                            understand evolutionary processes in the physical anthropology class, then I
                            think they really need to take the cultural anthropology class next to
                            better understand their own ethnocentrism (especially about religion.) So I
                            don't want to lose them......

                            I had a student with stomach ulcers (and serious pain) because she was
                            forced to attend a kind of "seminary" in the early mornings before she came
                            to the community college. Every day, her family and her teachers in the
                            "seminary" re-inforced the notion that she was evil for wanting to learn.
                            She needed a lot of reassurance from me. We have many students whose
                            situation is not so dire but who need a lot of support just for because they
                            are trying to be students in a segment of society that frowns on
                            intellectual development of any kind.

[...]

                          • Linda France Stine LFSTINE
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 19, 2006
                              This is a great discussion on teaching evolution. I am having the most
                              trouble with home-schooled students. They tend to enter the classroom with
                              the visceral reaction to the word evolution as something inherently evil
                              and anti-Christian. It is very difficult to discuss evolutionary concepts
                              with them- you hit this big wall of silent enmity. Linda

                              Dr. Linda France Stine, RPA
                              Department of Anthropology
                              436 Graham, UNCG 27412
                              (336)-256-1098 lfstine@...

                            • Pamela Ford
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 19, 2006
                                Linda,

                                What do you start with when you begin the course? Do you proceed like most
                                of the textbooks with the concept of natural selection, cell division, genes
                                and DNA? The reason that I ask is that I think I have a way of getting
                                through that wall you are facing. I begin with the living primates. For
                                the very problem you describe, I figure that NO ONE can resist pictures
                                and/or film of baby chimps. And, by learning about living non-human
                                primates, students begin to see that, well, yes, we do look more like these
                                animals than we look like rats or horses...... More importantly, they look
                                a lot like us so maybe we are related....... (But I still say fifteen
                                times in the semester, "I never told you that we are descended from chimps
                                and neither did Darwin.") Oh, and by doing this right up front, the Order
                                Primates is clearly understood, classification is covered, as well as the
                                physical traits that are shared by all primates, and "natural selection"
                                becomes part of the vocabulary with less resistance.

                                The psychologist around the corner from me uses medical accomplishments as a
                                tribute to the value of understanding natural selection. She goes so far as
                                to suggest that if do not want to understand the basic premise of biology,
                                then maybe we shouldn't be dependent upon the benefits we get from that
                                understanding (the idea of not having antibiotics is enough to capture many
                                people's attention.)

                                But I still think our students are afraid. They are just as afraid of
                                "Darwinism" as they are afraid of math. The difference is that they think
                                our topic is designed to fight AGAINST that which they hold dear and so
                                their resistance is more deeply rooted than their resistance to math.
                                That's why the cultural anthro discussions about supernaturalism and
                                ethnocentrism can be so helpful to students. Look at some of the models
                                we've seen discussed in this thread where our colleagues are so helpful and
                                careful about explaining scientific thinking.

                                But I still say we can melt their hearts with pictures of baby chimps!

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                    This sounds like a session for us to present at the AAA in 2007!
                                    (Teaching Evolutionary Theory: Getting through the Wall--just a
                                    suggested title.) Anyone willing to organize it?

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                      That's a good idea, Dianne. Let me also re-send an earlier notice
                                      (pasted below) that Anthropology News (AN) is looking for
                                      contributions on teaching. I think this is tailor-made for SACCers.

                                      Anthropology News Call for Papers: TEACHING
                                      Teaching is what most anthropologists do most of the time. Perhaps it
                                      should occupy a more central place in our publications and annual
                                      meetings. Anthropology News is therefore soliciting commentaries and
                                      analyses related to teaching and anthropology. Submissions that take
                                      up the following issues are particularly welcome:
                                      anthropology and the general education curriculum
                                      distance and online learning
                                      anthropology and experiential learning (service learning, study
                                      abroad, action research, community engagement, internships, field
                                      schools, labs)
                                      teaching across differences of culture, class, race and gender
                                      the role and status (or lack thereof) of teaching in the academy and
                                      the discipline
                                      the construction of meaningful courses, curricula and teaching materials
                                      the teaching of anthropological methods, theories and writing
                                      team-teaching across subfields, disciplines and nations
                                      what it is that anthropology can contribute to student learning on
                                      various critical issues
                                      how teaching informs and enriches anthropologists� research and writing
                                      public education, including teaching in museums, using exhibits and
                                      collections
                                      anthropology (or the lack of anthropology) in the K-12 curriculum
                                      Commentaries on these issues should be under 1000 words.
                                      Short pieces under 800 words on particular teaching methods that
                                      readers have found productive are also welcome, especially if these
                                      are framed by larger methodological and theoretical discussions.
                                      Send commentaries and short articles to AN Managing Editor Stacy
                                      Lathrop, slathrop@... by October 20, 2006.

                                    • Renee Garcia
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                        I would very much like to volunteer. Let me know what day/time we should be
                                        looking at and I can go from there.
                                        Renee

                                        Renee Garcia
                                        Saddleback College