Teaching Evolution

  • Philip Stein
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 2006
      There are those students whose rejection of evolution is based upon religious training that they have received from their parents and religious practitioners. Often this is explicitly anti-evolution and presumes to teach what evolution is in order to be able to show where its fails.

      I am indeed fortunate, perhaps, to be teaching in a suburban southern California community college. In all my years of teaching I have never come up against a religion versus science controversy or a verbal creationist in my classroom. And as far as I know, neither have my colleagues. Why? Part is demographics. Part is the fact that in the 1970s we renamed the course Human Biological Evolution. Thus the title may serve the purpose of warning creationists away from the course. However, our enrollments remain high because we do satisfy the natural science requirement.

      I believe that a significant portion of our students do not reject evolution on religious grounds. They are exposed to anti-evolution rhetoric all the time on television, radio, print media, and so forth. “Where there’s smoke there’s fire! I have not trouble with the concept, but with so many people questioning evolution, there must be something wrong! Anyway, isn’t intelligent design science?”

      Last year my department adopted new student learning outcomes and course objectives. Our number one outcome deals with knowing science. Our first two objectives are:

      Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
      1. Apply the process of science to problem solving situations and formulate procedural steps necessary for a scientific investigation.
      2. Analyze and evaluate the arguments of creationism and intelligence design theory and demonstrate the fallacies of these points of view as a scientific theory.

      Next week, when I hand out my syllabus, these objectives will be printed for all to see. It will be interesting to see what happens.

      The problem is poor science education and critical thinking skills. People believe in all sorts of strange things. (See the Skeptics Society for more information. It’s a great organization!) The disputes in the area of evolution are symptomatic of much more. For example, we are ignoring global warming. It won’t affect me, but I’m very worried about the world my grandson will live in as an adult. The average person, and certainly the typical politician, simply does not know how to evaluate scientific information.

      Thanks to all who are responding on the SACC web site. This is a great conversation!

      Phil

    • Hare II, William E
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2006
        Hi,

        I have avoided any heated debate about this issue by establishing the
        following guidelines:

        1. Respect everyone's world view (including science)
        2. Understand that my job is to present the scientific point of
        view and the student's job is to be able to explain it.
        3. I will correct any misuse of logical thinking or scientific
        argument.

        I am currently working on the course objectives for Intro to Anth and
        will probably have to include something similar to what Phil has written
        below.

        Will Hare
        Three Rivers Community College

[...]

        -------
        NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown
        in the headers. The real sender of this message is:
        sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@...
        o.com

        If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
        need to add
        sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@...
        o.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see
        the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
        http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
      • Dianne Chidester
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
          A student sent this information to me. -- Diannae

          (link)
          http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=87&art_id=qw1157357
          884508A162

          (Story)
          Furious evolution debate hits Kenyan museum

          September 04 2006 at 11:31AM

          By Lillian Omariba

          Nairobi - The global debate between scientists and conservative
          Christians over evolution has hit Kenya, where an exhibit of one of the
          world's finest collections of early hominid fossils is under threat.

          As the famed National Museum of Kenya (NMK) prepares to re-open next
          year after massive EU-funded renovations, evangelicals are demanding the
          display be removed or at least shunted to a less prominent location.

          The Origins Of Man exhibit, comprised of pre-historic finds from around
          Africa's Great Rift Valley considered by many to be the cradle of
          humanity, is offensive as it promotes Charles Darwin's theory of
          evolution, they say.

          "When museums put it out there that man evolved from apes, theologically
          they are affecting many people who are Christians, who believe God
          created us," says Bishop Boniface Adoyo, who is leading a campaign
          against the exhibit.

          "It's creating a big weapon against Christians that's killing our
          faith," he told AFP, calling evolution theory an "insult" and dangerous
          to youths. "When children go to museums they'll start believing we
          evolved from these apes.

          "This is not the truth," said Adoyo, pastor of Nairobi's "Christ is the
          Answer Ministries" and chairman of the Evangelical Alliance of Kenya,
          which claims to represent churches of 35 denominations with nine million
          members.

          "I can't stand it, neither can other Christians," he said.

          The bishop's high-profile drive to force the government-funded museum to
          downgrade what is arguably its most important collection has put him
          squarely at odds with the scientific community and curators.

          Many of the fossils were discovered by legendary paleontologists Louis
          and Mary Leakey in east Africa whose pre-historic finds around the
          Olduvai Gorge, Lake Victoria and Lake Turkana are seen by many as proof
          of Darwin's theory.

          Their son, Richard, himself a noted anthropologist and conservationist,
          is particularly disturbed by the furore and is speaking out against what
          he says is a misguided attempt to reject sound science.

          "The church is being ridiculous," he told AFP. "The church leaders are
          out of step. They should concentrate on their faith and leave scientists
          to concentrate on their historical work and defend it."

          "Evolution theory is accepted across the world," he said. "This is
          scientific history and Kenya has the best of this evolutional history.
          Globally, few can match that claim to fame."

          Officials at the museum, which houses priceless items including remains
          of hominid species dating back 1,7 million to 1,2 million years, are
          loath to get involved in the fractious debate but defend the exhibition.

          "The fossils have confirmed Kenya's position as the cradle of mankind
          and have drawn large numbers of visitors," the museum said in a
          statement released shortly after Adoyo launched his campaign.

          In an email response to questions posed by AFP, NMK director general
          Farah Iddle said the museum "strives to accommodate divergent views and
          ideas".

          "However, it also has the responsibility of ensuring that the integral
          research findings that have been developed over time are preserved," he
          said.

          "This includes the fossil collection that's the scientific evidence that
          shows the relationship between apes' fossils dated millions of years
          back and the modern man."

          Exact display plans for the exhibit when the 75-year-old museum re-opens
          in June 2007 are still being discussed but officials said they hope to
          keep it in a position of prominence among three new re-designed
          galleries.

          What will not likely change, they say, is the placement of a huge bronze
          sculpture outside the museum's main gate, which depicts a series of
          figures from ape to humans gradually becoming more erect as they walk

          The content of this electronic communication is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed and may contain sensitive, confidential or privileged information. The dissemination, retransmission or use of any information by any person other than the intended recipient or recipients is strictly prohibited. This item has been scanned for virus and malware infection and is free from known infections.

        • Renee Garcia
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
            I too teach in Southern California, Saddleback College in Mission Viejo
            specifically. Dangerously close to Saddleback Church. I have to say that I
            have never encountered the number of students who are creationists by
            training as I have here. I would say at least 6% of every class is a
            creationist, this includes my online students who admit more freely that
            they are creationists. They however specify a belief in microevolution but
            not macroevolution.

            I would suggest that if you believe you don't have creationists in your
            classes they are simply not admitting that they are and choose to fulfill
            the course requirements. They can pass the bio. anthropology without
            "believing" in evolution. However, I think the more sinister aspect of this
            issue is that both Intelligent Design and Creationism work to discredit
            science in general. In this regard, for the last few years I have taken more
            time explaining the scientific method its value and the steps specifically.
            I have also shown the evolution series doc entitled "What about God?" and I
            explain that unlike the popular arguments of both Id'ers and Creationists,
            scientists have never, to my knowledge, worked to discredit faith. In fact,
            most of us I think would rather never even discuss it as this would be the
            poorest example of the use of scientific methodology.

            I have tried to express to my students that the point is not that science
            discredits the Bible, the point is that science and faith are two completely
            different systems. I also explain that there is a necessity to understand
            the underlying issues involved in creationism and Intelligent Design namely
            political agendas. This of course takes us into other discussion
            possibilities, but it allows them to understand perspectives they may not
            have recognized previously.

            However, I must confess that I am considering not teaching Bio Anthro 1
            online in the future. This venue makes discussion difficult for me to really
            explain the issues. I know that I reach a level of frustration after I've
            explained the concepts over and over, but lack the ability to go further.
            Does anyone have suggestions from personal experience teaching online A1
            courses?

            Renee

            Renee Garcia, MA
            Saddleback College
            Dept. of Anthropology
            Universite de Bordeaux I
            Anthropologie Biologique

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Pamela Ford
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
              It's so much fun to read about others' experiences with these issues in the
              classroom and our various approaches. We do teach in a conservative area of
              southern California, in fact a region that has been relatively isolated (the
              Inland Empire, aka the "IE" on LA news.) So, here, I always have students
              who tell me that they won't "believe it."

              I spend the semester of Physical Anthropology describing SCIENCE. We
              discuss natural selection as a working hypothesis/tentative explanation for
              evolutionary change. I don't use or encourage the use of the word "theory"
              because it always comes with the prefix "justa-" and is therefore fraught
              with meaning in students' minds but meaningless in my mind. (We use
              "hypothesis" a lot.) And this theme weaves its way through the entire
              semester.

              In Cultural Anthropology, I've come to use the term "supernaturalism" for
              the heading of religion, magic, witchcraft and more (as per Jacob Pandian at
              CSU Fullerton). It's a helpful concept because it also allows discussion of
              how things may be accepted on FAITH but they are not testable so not
              scientific. If it's needed in the Physical class, I go back to describe how
              supernaturalism is used to explain things for which we have limited
              understanding (why did my neighbor die in that particular traffic accident?)
              and that supernaturalism provides value-laden explanations that are so
              important for keeping culture on the right track. But those are not the
              explanations that bring us antibiotics, or new traffic lights, or the return
              of the extinct dinosaurs.

              I actually enjoy the challenge of helping students to both understand
              science and appreciate the value of supernaturalism. (Even though there are
              occasionally those who get hot about the issue. Those are usually recent
              converts, I think.) I always refuse to "debate" ID and Natural Selection.

              Oops, I didn't mean to "talk" so much....professional hazard. Have a great
              teaching day!

              ~Pam

              Pamela Ford
              Chair, Department for World Studies
              Mt. San Jacinto College
              1499 N. State Street
              San Jacinto, CA 92583
              951.487-3725

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
                Have enjoyed everyone's thoughtful remarks. If you feel it's time for a
                little levity, you might enjoy the following.

                FOR LEXOPHILES (LOVERS OF WORDS): Read Carefully

                1. A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.

                2. A will is a dead giveaway.

                3. Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

                4. A backward poet writes inverse.

                5. In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism,
                it's your Count that votes.

                6. A chicken crossing the road: poultry in motion.

                7. If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.

                8. With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.

                9. Show me a piano falling down a mine shaft and I'll show you
                A-flat miner.

                10. When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.

                11. The guy who fell onto an upholstery machine was fully recovered.

                12. A grenade fell onto a kitchen floor in France, resulted in Linoleum
                Blownapart.

                13. You are stuck with your debt if you can't budge it.

                14. Local Area Network in Australia: The LAN down under.

                15. He broke into song because he couldn't find the key.

                16. A calendar's days are numbered.

                17. A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

                18. A boiled egg is hard to beat.

                19. He had a photographic memory which was never developed.

                20. A plateau is a high form of flattery.

                21. A short fortuneteller who escaped from prison: a small medium at
                large.

                22. Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the
                end.

                23. When you've seen one shopping center you've seen a mall.

                24. If you jump off a Paris bridge, you are in Seine.

                25. When she saw her first strands of gray hair, she thought she'd dye.

                26. Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead to know basis.

                27. Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.

                28. Acupuncture: a jab well done.

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
                  That's great, Ann! Thanks, I needed the laugh.
                  LLoyd

                  On Sep 6, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Kaupp, Ann wrote:

                  > Have enjoyed everyone's thoughtful remarks. If you feel it's time
                  > for a
                  > little levity, you might enjoy the following.
                  >
                  > FOR LEXOPHILES (LOVERS OF WORDS): Read Carefully

                • Lynch, Brian M
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
                    Renee,
                    You say that you tell your students “scientists have never, to my knowledge, worked to discredit faith.” Of course, the potential challenge to “faith” from the evolutionary perspective is not just a matter of scientists’ conscious, personal efforts to credit or discredit others' belief systems. (Nonetheless, I have known many scientists who either implicitly or explicitly presented science as a necessary antidote to religion, and this is not a minor strain in the social history of western science.) Even our surprise that more Americans don’t show up in the surveys as accepting evolutionary theory, reflects a set of assumptions like--- “you’d think Americans would be smarter than that” or “ you’d think Americans would be more scientifically based than that,” “…more rational than that,” “…more advanced than that” etc. that reflect a set of implicit judgments about “faith” and “science” (and U.S. American “superiority” based on these?)

                    At the same time, as anthropologists, can we afford to be less nuanced about our understanding of the relationships between “knowledge” and “belief systems” when we are looking close to home, than when looking at far-away “others?” We wouldn’t, for example, feel comfortable expressing wonderment or surprise, that some traditionally-studied culture also possessed significant pharmacological or technical skills; we wouldn’t be asking ourselves “Hey! If they are so adept at discovering cures for their ills based on materials in their surrounding environment (science!) why do they still hold those irrational beliefs in supernatural forces and beings?” We accept that the two "ways of knowing" can coexist in the same society/culture, and that the two are not mutually exclusive, nor does one necessarily preclude or supersede the other. And can’t we likewise expect to find them co-existing in our own culture? Then the interesting question become things like: how do they co-exist, and why do they co-exist (and I mean here not “co-exist” as in “get along well together,” but exist, as “social facts” at the same time, in the same culture, for better or worse).

                    I don't intend to suggest here that as anthropologists we should just accept that one explanation is just as good as another--that they somehow all should just be accepted as equally valuable (...sounds like an awfully familiar mischaracterization of cultural anthropology's cultural relativism!) In political battles over textbooks and school curriculums we certainly have roles to play, among other things to say, "if you want to teach SCIENCE, 'intelligent design' isn't it!" But in understanding this all from an anthropological perspective, we have to challenge ourselves to use the same tools of comparative, historical, economic, cultural analysis toward our own society that we commonly expect in studying "others."

                    I once had a professor who prided himself as a "Renaissance Man." He studied anthropology and geography, and could teach just about anything from what we now know as the "five fields" of the discipline. I admired him greatly and learned much from him about physical anthropology, paleo anthropology, archaeology, and so much more. When he learned at some point that I was involved with the local campus "Newman Parish" (a Catholic Parish for students hosted just to the edge of our state-college campus) he wondered (many times, out loud) how I could reconcile this with "real anthropology." But that didn't strike me as much as the fact that in his discussion of this he made reference to a famous Catholic scientist/theologian/anthropologist/priest who he conflated with "The Catholic Church" as an illustration of how "The Church" (as he imagined was embodied by this learned scholar) "rejected evolution." This esteemed professor of mine had the story wrong on all counts, and to my knowledge never went back to check his historical accuracy. He was so convinced that "The Church" was "against evolution," (back in the 1970's) that he filtered his historical understanding through this erroneous "fact." And it all came out wrong.

                    To over-simplify it just a bit (!!) the theologian/anthropologist/philosopher/priest was Teilhard de Chardin, and in fact he embraced evolutionary theory "to an extreme," moving from the physical to the metaphysical. He saw the model of change that it reflected, and carried the model out beyond the realm of science, into theology. The Catholic Church, on the other hand, didn't reject him (or evolution) as far as he/it went scientifically. Officially the Church accepted that as long as "science" in its materialist explanation didn't simply conclude "that's all there is," it would be perfectly compatible with "faith." On the other hand, it initially rejected Teilhard because he carried out the logic and the model of evolution beyond the limits of the observable, and entered into territory that the church felt came dangerously close to challenging some of its fundamental theological explanations of God, sin, and "human nature."

                    I guess it was probably easier, with a bunch of undergraduate anthro majors, to conflate all this, say "the church rejects evolution," and move on to our human osteology manual, or to the latest notes on Koobi Fora, or to the outlines of contemporary cultural theory. It certainly served the purpose of highlighting ("for heuristic purposes," he would often say!) that professor's message about the primacy of science. It is interesting, at the same time, to see where "scientists" (my anthro professor and Teilhard included) are ready to settle in their pursuit of study of cause-and-effect chains in their world.

                    Brian

                    sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@... <mailto:sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare%3Dtrcc.commnet.edu%40returns.groups.yaho>
                    o.com

                    If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
                    need to add
                    sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@... <mailto:sentto-126016-3510-1157234287-whare%3Dtrcc.commnet.edu%40returns.groups.yaho>
                    o.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see
                    the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
                    http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender <http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender>

                    NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown in the headers. The real sender of this message is: sentto-126016-3522-1157565797-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...

                    If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would need to add sentto-126016-3522-1157565797-blynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@... to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see the Anti-Spam FAQ item: http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
                  • Philip Stein
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
                      Brian and all,

                      You make a very important point about knowledge versus belief systems. I always wait for the question: "Do you believe in evolution?" This enables me to discuss this important difference and that knowledge and belief systems do not necessarily conflict.

                      What disturbs me most is the lack of critical thinking. I am amused by the suggestion that we should teach both evolution and intelligent design to students and let them make up their mind, as if they have the tools to make a valid judgement.

                      I did have one creationist in my class many years ago. I had no idea what his beliefs were, but as he left the final he handed me a book to read. It was a creationist text. I actually read a great deal of it since I had never read a creationist text before, but it was full with misrepresentation of data and ideas and the application of crazy "logic." But he was an A student and I really admired him for taking the course even though he was a creationist. I can respect this. I cannot assume that everyone will reach the same "enlightened" conclusion as I, but the misrepretation of evolutionary theory is unforgivable.

                      There are two books I just purchased and have begun to read. They both look like they will be very useful in framing my lecture on intelligent design. (Yes, I do teach intelligent design. But I also critique it!) They are:

                      John Brockman (ed.), Intgelligent Thought: Science versus the Intelligent Design Movement. This is a collection of essays by 16 "preeminent thinkers whose clear, accessible, and passionate essays reveal the fact and power of Darwin's theory, and the beauty of the scientific quest to understand our world."

                      Michael Shermer, Why Darwin Matters. At the beginning, the part I have read, Shermer presents a good history and analysis of intelligent design.

                      Another wonderful source is the 136-page decision by Judge Jones in the Dover, PA, case last December. It is wonderfully written and quite detailed, although you have to wade through the legal stuff. What makes is especially good is that the judge is a conversation Bush appointee. A good place to get a copy is on the talkorigins web site.

                      Phil

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 7, 2006
                        Renee --
                        I also teach Physical Anthropology online and have not had any "problems"
                        with students insisting on including their religious ideology in their
                        written assignments. Perhaps that is because I include the following
                        paragraph in my online (and lecture) syllabus:
                        Scientific Method and Science Viewpoint
                        This class satisfies the General Education Requirement Area 5 in
                        Biological/Life Sciences. As such, the class is taught from a scientific
                        point of view, using the scientific method (hypotheses building and testing)
                        and scientific facts (verifiable truths). We will be examining biological
                        relationships and behavioral similarities between nonhuman primates (monkeys
                        and apes) and humans, in addition to studying the evolution of hominids
                        (bipedal primates) from the common ancestor we share with chimpanzees and
                        bonobos. While I realize that some of you have a belief system as to how
                        humans were created that may contradict the scientific theory of evolution,
                        in this class you are required to base all of your answers to assignments
                        and test questions on the scientific evidence of evolution, not on your
                        religious ideology. If you find it impossible to segregate your religious
                        beliefs in the context of this course, I would suggest that you drop the
                        class. If you do include your religious ideology in your answer, you will
                        receive a zero on the assignment or test answer.

                        I also have students that persist in their religious ideology, but perfrom
                        perfectly well on their exams. One student told me that while she doesn't
                        "believe" in evolution, she has no problem basing her answers on
                        evolutionary theory. I also make it clear to students that it is not
                        impossible to believe in evolution and be a Christian -- that both are
                        different ways to look at the world, based on "different" methodologies, and
                        are not mutually exclusive.
                        I don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd add my two cents...
                        Monica Bellas
                        Cerritos College
                        Norwalk, CA

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 8, 2006
                          I've been interested in hearing from instructors who don't get a lot of
                          religious flack from their students. Frankly, I don't think it matters
                          what you say in your syllabus or on the first day of class. I use all
                          the same statements and arguments myself. It is simply a matter of
                          demographics. My college is suburban and very, very Euro-American. Most
                          students here are local and first-generation college students, and a
                          great many are weekly attendees and members of large, fundamentalist
                          churches. I experience several problems:

                          1. The student registers without reading the course description and
                          really has no clear idea what the course is about. They only know that
                          it fits into their schedule and helps them to fulfill "area 10"
                          requirements.

                          2. They assume that I will give "equal time" to creationism and
                          intelligent design because (a) that's what their high school teachers
                          did, or (b) they've been told by their parents or their ministers that
                          "equal time" is to be expected.

                          3. They oppose evolution and are taking the course just to convince
                          themselves further that they are right. One student told me he took the
                          course on a dare from his girlfriend. These students are rarely happy,
                          and there's nothing I expect to do about that.

                          My goal is to teach to the students who are interested and receptive.
                          If any of the others come around, they can do so on their own terms.

                          When I give students the first-day reality check, about 5% have to drop
                          the course because they can't live with the fact that I respectfully do
                          not and will not abide by #2 because religion is not a part of
                          anthropology.

                          One last observation: we are not the only ones to have problems with
                          some evangelical Christians. A History colleague surprised me by saying
                          that he had to cope with students in Ancient and Medieval History who
                          object to the teaching of events or social conditions where Christians
                          are shown in an unfavorable light.

                          No wonder my college is in a town called "Coon Rapids" which the local
                          populace has adamantly refused to allow to be renamed! But that goes off
                          on another tangent.

                          Deborah

                          Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
                          Anthropology and Sociology
                          Anoka-Ramsey Community College
                          Coon Rapids Campus
                          email: deborah.shepherd@...
                          http://webs.anokaramsey.edu/shepherd/
                          new phone number: 763-433-1195

                        • Bob Muckle
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 8, 2006
                            The first time I taught the human evoution course I had a young woman
                            stay after class to talk with me. It took about 30 seconds for her to
                            break into tears, letting me know that she didn't want to take the
                            course but needed it as a requirement. She was really hoping that I
                            could somehow get the requirement waived for her. She came from a family
                            of missionaries and this was her ambition as well, after getting a
                            degree in social work. I simply explained to her that she didn't have to
                            give up her own beliefs to do well in the course and it really couldn't
                            hurt to know what the people she believed were her opponents thought and
                            how they came to their conclusions. I also assured her that I would
                            frame test questions so that she wouldn't have difficulty answering
                            because of her belief system (eg. starting questions with such phrases
                            as "According to...." or "Scientific research shows..."). The student
                            did complete the course, but no more was said about our little
                            conversation. I moved on to another college hundreds of miles away and
                            never thought of the student again. Until four years later I received a
                            call from the student who just wanted to let me know that she was now in
                            her first year in a graduate program, in Anthropology!

                            Also...I think I've mentioned this before, but I think an excellent way
                            to start the course is with the Nova program 'God, Darwin, and
                            Dinosaurs.' It uses the Creation vs. Evolution debate, especially the
                            teaching of creationism in schools, to inform students about the nature
                            of science. It does a good job, in my opinion, of exploring the question
                            'What is science?" and answering it. Although the program came out quite
                            a few years ago, as it focuses on school board decisions, it still
                            appears contemporary.

                            Bob
                          • Pamela Ford
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 8, 2006
                              It's that evidence of outright fear in some of our students that really
                              bothers me. I suspect while so many are unskilled at any kind of critical
                              thinking, they become terrified of an idea that's not part of the segment of
                              the world they occupy. (The irony is that the same young people can rebel
                              with tattoos and piercings, but not with new intellectual concepts!) I feel
                              compelled to work with them since anthropology is the only discipline where
                              we can consider both biological data and behavioral data in order to
                              understand humans on a grand scale. If a student is fighting hard not to
                              understand evolutionary processes in the physical anthropology class, then I
                              think they really need to take the cultural anthropology class next to
                              better understand their own ethnocentrism (especially about religion.) So I
                              don't want to lose them......

                              I had a student with stomach ulcers (and serious pain) because she was
                              forced to attend a kind of "seminary" in the early mornings before she came
                              to the community college. Every day, her family and her teachers in the
                              "seminary" re-inforced the notion that she was evil for wanting to learn.
                              She needed a lot of reassurance from me. We have many students whose
                              situation is not so dire but who need a lot of support just for because they
                              are trying to be students in a segment of society that frowns on
                              intellectual development of any kind.

[...]

                            • Linda France Stine LFSTINE
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 19, 2006
                                This is a great discussion on teaching evolution. I am having the most
                                trouble with home-schooled students. They tend to enter the classroom with
                                the visceral reaction to the word evolution as something inherently evil
                                and anti-Christian. It is very difficult to discuss evolutionary concepts
                                with them- you hit this big wall of silent enmity. Linda

                                Dr. Linda France Stine, RPA
                                Department of Anthropology
                                436 Graham, UNCG 27412
                                (336)-256-1098 lfstine@...

                              • Pamela Ford
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 19, 2006
                                  Linda,

                                  What do you start with when you begin the course? Do you proceed like most
                                  of the textbooks with the concept of natural selection, cell division, genes
                                  and DNA? The reason that I ask is that I think I have a way of getting
                                  through that wall you are facing. I begin with the living primates. For
                                  the very problem you describe, I figure that NO ONE can resist pictures
                                  and/or film of baby chimps. And, by learning about living non-human
                                  primates, students begin to see that, well, yes, we do look more like these
                                  animals than we look like rats or horses...... More importantly, they look
                                  a lot like us so maybe we are related....... (But I still say fifteen
                                  times in the semester, "I never told you that we are descended from chimps
                                  and neither did Darwin.") Oh, and by doing this right up front, the Order
                                  Primates is clearly understood, classification is covered, as well as the
                                  physical traits that are shared by all primates, and "natural selection"
                                  becomes part of the vocabulary with less resistance.

                                  The psychologist around the corner from me uses medical accomplishments as a
                                  tribute to the value of understanding natural selection. She goes so far as
                                  to suggest that if do not want to understand the basic premise of biology,
                                  then maybe we shouldn't be dependent upon the benefits we get from that
                                  understanding (the idea of not having antibiotics is enough to capture many
                                  people's attention.)

                                  But I still think our students are afraid. They are just as afraid of
                                  "Darwinism" as they are afraid of math. The difference is that they think
                                  our topic is designed to fight AGAINST that which they hold dear and so
                                  their resistance is more deeply rooted than their resistance to math.
                                  That's why the cultural anthro discussions about supernaturalism and
                                  ethnocentrism can be so helpful to students. Look at some of the models
                                  we've seen discussed in this thread where our colleagues are so helpful and
                                  careful about explaining scientific thinking.

                                  But I still say we can melt their hearts with pictures of baby chimps!

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                      This sounds like a session for us to present at the AAA in 2007!
                                      (Teaching Evolutionary Theory: Getting through the Wall--just a
                                      suggested title.) Anyone willing to organize it?

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                        That's a good idea, Dianne. Let me also re-send an earlier notice
                                        (pasted below) that Anthropology News (AN) is looking for
                                        contributions on teaching. I think this is tailor-made for SACCers.

                                        Anthropology News Call for Papers: TEACHING
                                        Teaching is what most anthropologists do most of the time. Perhaps it
                                        should occupy a more central place in our publications and annual
                                        meetings. Anthropology News is therefore soliciting commentaries and
                                        analyses related to teaching and anthropology. Submissions that take
                                        up the following issues are particularly welcome:
                                        anthropology and the general education curriculum
                                        distance and online learning
                                        anthropology and experiential learning (service learning, study
                                        abroad, action research, community engagement, internships, field
                                        schools, labs)
                                        teaching across differences of culture, class, race and gender
                                        the role and status (or lack thereof) of teaching in the academy and
                                        the discipline
                                        the construction of meaningful courses, curricula and teaching materials
                                        the teaching of anthropological methods, theories and writing
                                        team-teaching across subfields, disciplines and nations
                                        what it is that anthropology can contribute to student learning on
                                        various critical issues
                                        how teaching informs and enriches anthropologists� research and writing
                                        public education, including teaching in museums, using exhibits and
                                        collections
                                        anthropology (or the lack of anthropology) in the K-12 curriculum
                                        Commentaries on these issues should be under 1000 words.
                                        Short pieces under 800 words on particular teaching methods that
                                        readers have found productive are also welcome, especially if these
                                        are framed by larger methodological and theoretical discussions.
                                        Send commentaries and short articles to AN Managing Editor Stacy
                                        Lathrop, slathrop@... by October 20, 2006.

                                      • Renee Garcia
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 20, 2006
                                          I would very much like to volunteer. Let me know what day/time we should be
                                          looking at and I can go from there.
                                          Renee

                                          Renee Garcia
                                          Saddleback College