Re: [SACC-L] Survey of national populations--acceptance of evolution

  • Tbbyrnehom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hi Brian and all,
      I'm glad I sent in my two cents worth. It seems that your question has
      started a chain.
      Coming from a similar background I do share some of your experience.
      However, my father graduated from Marquette in 1914, I believe he was an atheist
      most of his adult life. I had a MA in history before starting Anthropology.

      By Invincible Ignorance I do not meant to imply that "cultures" should be
      labeled. However, there are individuals in your classroom that is too
      threatened by evolution to even consider the possibility. I always asked my classes
      if they can learn something that they did not believe to be "true". Almost
      all said that they could. I never asked students to "believe" in evolution but
      to know the concepts. Most folks who reject evolution do not know what they
      are rejecting. After understanding some basic information they may become
      more comfortable with it. Of course others, those who suffer "invincible
      ignorance" will perhaps reject it because they think that evolution necessarily
      denies the need for a god of creation.
      They find it very threatening to live without the comfort of a god figure
      that takes care of them.
      Respectively submitted, Bill Byrne,

      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 20, 2006
        Bill, the story that I was told is that 'Dubya' got his only A in college from Margaret Mead who was replacing a friend at Yale on Sabbatical. She announced that she did not believe in grading her students so that everyone in the class received an A.