RE: [SACC-L] Teaching Evolution

    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 2, 2006
      Here are a few examples I use in class:

      Accidental artificial selection:

      drug resistant bacteria

      Insecticide-proof insects

      Rats that like rat poison

      Hopi albinos

      Agriculture altered the amount of standing water; and increased the
      mosquitoes and the malaria; then Sickle Cell became more frequent. (Our
      favorite scenario<g>)

      Deliberate artificial selection :

      Compare Early Woodland corn with 6-7 kernels, to "Indian" corn, to
      modern all-yellow varieties that cannot reproduce without our help.

      All white, so-fat-they-cannot-fly domestic turkeys (Only hunters ever
      see the brown and red types we all drew as kids for the Pilgrims and
      Native-Americans unit at Thanksgiving)

      (maybe this indicates that I am hungry....)

      Lots of others, of course, but these are familiar and anthropolgogical.

      Why Lamark was right that environment was important, but has the
      mechanism all wrong:

      Medieval tapestries show Springer/Cocker Spaniels with docked tails.
      This was done so that they would not flush the birds prematurely by
      making a racket wagging and knocking the bushes.

      They are still (500-600 years later) being born with long tails. If
      Lamark was right, one would think that they would have started being
      born with short ones by now.

      Makes a nice lead-in to what domestication is (and isn't) and that
      selection requires that a suitable mutation be around. Evidently
      Spaniels have never been so helpful as to have a mutation for short
      tails that we could breed for. Dogs are very plastic, but that isn't
      one that has come up.

      Happy New Semester!

      Ann Popplestone AAB, BA, MA

      CCC Metro TLC

      216-987-3584

      FAX:707-924-2471

      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 20, 2006
        Bill, the story that I was told is that 'Dubya' got his only A in college from Margaret Mead who was replacing a friend at Yale on Sabbatical. She announced that she did not believe in grading her students so that everyone in the class received an A.