Re: [SACC-L] Survey of national populations--acceptance of evolution

  • Linda Light
    Message 1 of 34 , Sep 1, 2006
      Last evening I asked my cultural anthro students (first class meeting of the semester) what a science was. The only student I could get to answer the question said "Boring?" Needless to say, I proceeded to define and describe the scientific method (in as non-boring a way as possible!). This will be on the first quiz and first exam.
      Cheers!
      Linda

      Tbbyrnehom@... wrote:
      Jo Brian and all, How about this! Americans like to think of themselves as
      practical people. How many times have you heard "Experience is the best
      teacher."? Yet how many Americans will understand that the scientific method
      based on Inductive reasoning IS the experience of repeated experiments.
      Evolution is based on the experience of species undergoing mutations, such as the
      flu virus we see from year to year. However, there is plenty of evidence that
      some people have invincible ignorance and we just need to face that fact
      also. Of course some people don't accept the fact that there are facts.
      Have a good year teaching. From that old retired sad SACC Bill Byrne

      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 20, 2006
        Bill, the story that I was told is that 'Dubya' got his only A in college from Margaret Mead who was replacing a friend at Yale on Sabbatical. She announced that she did not believe in grading her students so that everyone in the class received an A.