Some disturbing news from Colorado

  • Melvin Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25, 2006
      Although this does not directly relate to an instructor in anthropology but instead
      geography, it is something that I think is worth noting and following. It seems a
      geography teacher was put on administrative leave for putting up foreign flags in his
      classroom because is violates state law. The article can be retreived from the
      following web site.
      http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9726287/detail.html?subid=22100484&qs=1 It seems
      the flags in question were from China and Mexico. So much for teaching not only
      geographic literacy but also cultural awareness. Mel Johnson
    • Dianne Chidester
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 25, 2006
        Here's an update!

        http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9731862/detail.html

        A teacher in Louisville, KY has been put on administrative leave for
        burning a flag in class to stimulate discussion of civil liberties and
        freedom of speech. I'm having problems getting the link, but I'm sure
        it's not hard to find.

        Although this does not directly relate to an instructor in anthropology
        but instead
        geography, it is something that I think is worth noting and following.
        It seems a
        geography teacher was put on administrative leave for putting up foreign
        flags in his
        classroom because is violates state law. The article can be retreived
        from the
        following web site.
        http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/9726287/detail.html?subid=22100484&
        qs=1 It seems
        the flags in question were from China and Mexico. So much for teaching
        not only
        geographic literacy but also cultural awareness. Mel Johnson

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        The content of this electronic communication is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed and may contain sensitive, confidential or privileged information. The dissemination, retransmission or use of any information by any person other than the intended recipient or recipients is strictly prohibited. This item has been scanned for virus and malware infection and is free from known infections.
      • Melvin Johnson
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 26, 2006
          Dear SACCers
          I have a question to ask because I am trying to get a few things taken care of before
          life becomes to hectic. I have a plaque that lists the receipients of the President's
          Awards. I am trying to update the list and have the following already on the plaque:
          1991--Richard Furlow, 1992--Charles Ellenbaum, 1996--Lloyd Miller, 1997--Philip Stein.
          I need to add the following: 2000--Anthongy Balzano, 2001--Mark Lewine, 2002--Mark
          Tromans and 2005--Melvin Johnson. Am I missing anyone? Thanks for you help, Mel
          Johnson
        • anthony balzano
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 28, 2006
            Mel,
            It is correct as far as I can tell. [Just remove the "g" from Anthony * thanks]. See you in San Jose!
            --Anthony

            >>> majohns@... 08/26/2006 12:17 PM >>>

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2006
              You are so picky Tony, but if you insist. See you in November. Mel

              ------- End of Original Message -------