:: Welcome to Cuyahoga Community College

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
      we ( my college's Center for Community Research)got a little news attention on this "find" of flint tool fragments that were included in our 19th century urban dig site this summer season. The tv people (Ph.D. in communications) labeled it "Cave Men" found in urban dig! Then they used the old Life Magazine artist rendition of Neanderthals! I begged them to stop that lead and they were so annoyed with me for asking them to substitute "prehistoric" for Cave Men, that they stopped running the story! Even more revealing: my colleagues and friends said that it did not matter to them, Cave Man simply means "old and exotic"! How about that for critical theory in action!
      I am gone taking Sally on a celebration to Alaska on our 37th anniversary- see y'all soon.

      http://www.tri-c.edu/home/default.htm

    • anthropmor@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2006
        Yet another example why we need more people taking anthro classes.
        Mike Pavlik

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
          Hi Mark, Another example of the difficulty of science talking to
          journalist! We need to write the story for them. Before you leave can you give me the
          address of the folks in charge of that Race project that you talked about a
          few weeks ago? I finally did find the material I needed. Bill Byrne

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
            Thanks Bill, send it to me, because I want to collect a set from SACC
            folks and deliver it as a critical mass when they are ready. Otherwise,
            it will get "lost" in their outbox.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2006
              Mark Lewine 2883 Sedgewick Rd. Shaker Heights, OH 44120