Re: [SACC-L] Advice?

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
      Also, check the archives- we've talked a numver of times about texts.

      Mike

    • Philip Stein
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
        I also use Leinkeit. It works very well for my students and its not terrible long.

        A good ethnography that students really enjoy is Fadiman's The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. It's an engaging story about a Hmong family in Merced and how cultures clash in the face of illness. I also use the video Split Horn about a Hmong shaman in Wisconsin.

        Phil

        Rebecca Cramer <missiontosonora@...> wrote:
        Hi Sydney,
        I'll be using Roberta Leinkeit's book, Introducing Cultural Anthropology, in the course I'll be teaching at Pima College in Tucson this fall. It's a fairly succinct and readable presentation of the major areas of the discipline, and it invites the use of supplements.
        Best of luck with the new position,
        Rebecca Cramer
        http://www.u.arizona.edu/~rcramer

        sydneyhart1 wrote:
        I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
        three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
        Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
        plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
        suggestions?
        --Sydney

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
          I echo the suggestion from Phil, and have found that Philippe is a strong supporter of anthro in community colleges. If you use it, you can communicate with him directly and have your students get updates and contact. He is doing a presentation at AAA on Race and Class Issues in Community Colleges for the Anthro Education Committee this coming year.

          If you are looking for an ethnography about contemporary America
          that addresses many of the current concerns in anthropology, I would take a
          look at "In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio" by Philippe
          Bourgois.

          Quoting sydneyhart1 <S-Hart1@...>:

          > I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
          > three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
          > Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
          > plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
          > suggestions?
          > --Sydney
          >

          > !DSPAM:44bc35a5100363879013058!

        • Monica Bellas
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
            Sydney --
            Congratulations! I find, at my community college, that students don't have
            the reading ability to really understand the nuances of an ethnography
            (unfortunately, they're lucky if they're reading at an 8th grade level).
            Lecturing on it does help, but I've found that they get much more out of
            reading articles. I use Annual Editions: Anthropology and require that they
            read 15 articles over the course of the semester. They must then summarize
            the article and include their thoughts in a final paragraph. I do this in
            conjunction with 5 other writing assignments which will guide them through
            (hopefully) recognizing ethnocentrism and practicing cultural relativism. I
            start them out with "Body Ritual of the Nacirema" and have them comment on
            "those peoples'" behavior; we then discuss it in class. Then on to "Where
            Fat is a Mark of Beauty" where they compare ideas of beauty. By this time
            they're able to recognize and practice cultural relativism, at least in
            their writing assignments.
            BTW, Philippe's book is excellent...as is the Hmong ethnography. I just
            wish my students had the reading/analytical skills to read them!
            Monica Bellas
            Cerritos College
            Norwalk, CA

            >From: "Lewine, Mark" <mark.lewine@...>
            >To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: RE: [SACC-L] Advice?
            >Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:36:33 -0400
            >

            >I echo the suggestion from Phil, and have found that Philippe is a strong
            >supporter of anthro in community colleges. If you use it, you can
            >communicate with him directly and have your students get updates and
            >contact. He is doing a presentation at AAA on Race and Class Issues in
            >Community Colleges for the Anthro Education Committee this coming year.

          • Lynch, Brian M
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
              Hello all,

              I sent a slightly different version of the following in response
              directly to Sydney, but thought I would re-send to the whole list, as I
              have been finding the exchange on this question a very interesting one.

              Brian

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 21, 2006
                Hi Sydney,

                Best wishes regarding your recent hiring as a full time instructor
                of anthropology courses at a two-year college setting. The SACC_L
                group is here to
                help, so here goes:
                The textbook and two ethnographies I am currently assigning in my
                "Cultural Anthropology" sections at SUNY Orange include:

                1. Textbook--Peoples and Bailey HUMANITY-AN INTRODUCTION TO CULTURAL
                ANTHROPOLOGY 7ED THOMSON/WADSWORTH PUB. ( especially because eleven of
                my "Images of Anthropology" photographs are published in the text. I
                agree that what you just read was a shameless plug. Anyway the link
                to my website is www.imagesofanthropology.com ) The organization,
                overall appeal, chapters included, and level of writing are excellent
                as well.
                2. ethnography #1: M.Ward /NEST IN THE WIND 2ND ED. An excellent
                protrayal of an anthropologist's field experience on a tropical island
                in the South Pacific. Waveland Press.
                3. ethnography #2: M. Shostak NISA--THE LIFE AND WORDS OF A !KUNG
                WOMAN Harvard U. Press. A fascinating autobiographical account of the
                life of a woman in one of the last remnant gathering-hunting societies
                able to be documented anthropologically.

                The above combination ( one text, two ethnographies ) have worked very
                well for me over my 37 years of college teaching. Of course there
                have been many different texts and other ethnographies along the way.
                As I see it, the textbook allows for an important organization to the
                course as the students follow the presentation of chapters, as well as
                enabling me to call apon two other anthropologists, Peoples and
                Bailey, the text authors, to assist in the teaching of anthropology to
                my students. As I always say to my students, I can't cover all of
                cultural anthropology by myself in the course! The ethnographies add
                a more vivid in-depth approach to class exporation of key issues and
                topics in cultural anthropology.

                Sydney, any questions concerning my approach, please call 845 341-4364
                (office) leave a message if you have to, I'll get back to you as soon
                as I can. Much better than plunking out lengthy e-mail messages like
                this one!

                Hi to all of my many (I hope, especially after the 'shameless plug'
                above) friends in SACC. Hope to see you at the next SACC conference
                in California.
                Barry Kass
                --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "sydneyhart1" <S-Hart1@...> wrote:

                > I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
                > three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
                > Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
                > plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
                > suggestions?
                > --Sydney

              • anthony balzano
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
                  Barry,
                  These look great. Congratulations on getting them posted for everyone to see. Actually, I was looking for the ones from Seattle and couldn't find them! Ha-ha. Hope things are going well.
                  Regards,
                  Tony Balzano

                  >>> bkass@... 07/21/2006 03:59 PM >>>

                  Yahoo! Groups Links