Re: [SACC-L] Advice?

  • naftalyp@sunyacc.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18 3:33 AM
      Hello Sydney,
      If you are looking for an ethnography about contemporary America
      that addresses many of the current concerns in anthropology, I would take a
      look at "In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio" by Philippe
      Bourgois.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 18 6:19 AM
        Also, check the archives- we've talked a numver of times about texts.

        Mike

      • Philip Stein
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18 6:38 AM
          I also use Leinkeit. It works very well for my students and its not terrible long.

          A good ethnography that students really enjoy is Fadiman's The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. It's an engaging story about a Hmong family in Merced and how cultures clash in the face of illness. I also use the video Split Horn about a Hmong shaman in Wisconsin.

          Phil

          Rebecca Cramer <missiontosonora@...> wrote:
          Hi Sydney,
          I'll be using Roberta Leinkeit's book, Introducing Cultural Anthropology, in the course I'll be teaching at Pima College in Tucson this fall. It's a fairly succinct and readable presentation of the major areas of the discipline, and it invites the use of supplements.
          Best of luck with the new position,
          Rebecca Cramer
          http://www.u.arizona.edu/~rcramer

          sydneyhart1 wrote:
          I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
          three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
          Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
          plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
          suggestions?
          --Sydney

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18 2:36 PM
            I echo the suggestion from Phil, and have found that Philippe is a strong supporter of anthro in community colleges. If you use it, you can communicate with him directly and have your students get updates and contact. He is doing a presentation at AAA on Race and Class Issues in Community Colleges for the Anthro Education Committee this coming year.

            If you are looking for an ethnography about contemporary America
            that addresses many of the current concerns in anthropology, I would take a
            look at "In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio" by Philippe
            Bourgois.

            Quoting sydneyhart1 <S-Hart1@...>:

            > I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
            > three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
            > Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
            > plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
            > suggestions?
            > --Sydney
            >

            > !DSPAM:44bc35a5100363879013058!

          • Monica Bellas
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 19 11:43 AM
              Sydney --
              Congratulations! I find, at my community college, that students don't have
              the reading ability to really understand the nuances of an ethnography
              (unfortunately, they're lucky if they're reading at an 8th grade level).
              Lecturing on it does help, but I've found that they get much more out of
              reading articles. I use Annual Editions: Anthropology and require that they
              read 15 articles over the course of the semester. They must then summarize
              the article and include their thoughts in a final paragraph. I do this in
              conjunction with 5 other writing assignments which will guide them through
              (hopefully) recognizing ethnocentrism and practicing cultural relativism. I
              start them out with "Body Ritual of the Nacirema" and have them comment on
              "those peoples'" behavior; we then discuss it in class. Then on to "Where
              Fat is a Mark of Beauty" where they compare ideas of beauty. By this time
              they're able to recognize and practice cultural relativism, at least in
              their writing assignments.
              BTW, Philippe's book is excellent...as is the Hmong ethnography. I just
              wish my students had the reading/analytical skills to read them!
              Monica Bellas
              Cerritos College
              Norwalk, CA

              >From: "Lewine, Mark" <mark.lewine@...>
              >To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: RE: [SACC-L] Advice?
              >Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:36:33 -0400
              >

              >I echo the suggestion from Phil, and have found that Philippe is a strong
              >supporter of anthro in community colleges. If you use it, you can
              >communicate with him directly and have your students get updates and
              >contact. He is doing a presentation at AAA on Race and Class Issues in
              >Community Colleges for the Anthro Education Committee this coming year.

            • Lynch, Brian M
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 19 12:13 PM
                Hello all,

                I sent a slightly different version of the following in response
                directly to Sydney, but thought I would re-send to the whole list, as I
                have been finding the exchange on this question a very interesting one.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 21 12:59 PM
                  Hi Sydney,

                  Best wishes regarding your recent hiring as a full time instructor
                  of anthropology courses at a two-year college setting. The SACC_L
                  group is here to
                  help, so here goes:
                  The textbook and two ethnographies I am currently assigning in my
                  "Cultural Anthropology" sections at SUNY Orange include:

                  1. Textbook--Peoples and Bailey HUMANITY-AN INTRODUCTION TO CULTURAL
                  ANTHROPOLOGY 7ED THOMSON/WADSWORTH PUB. ( especially because eleven of
                  my "Images of Anthropology" photographs are published in the text. I
                  agree that what you just read was a shameless plug. Anyway the link
                  to my website is www.imagesofanthropology.com ) The organization,
                  overall appeal, chapters included, and level of writing are excellent
                  as well.
                  2. ethnography #1: M.Ward /NEST IN THE WIND 2ND ED. An excellent
                  protrayal of an anthropologist's field experience on a tropical island
                  in the South Pacific. Waveland Press.
                  3. ethnography #2: M. Shostak NISA--THE LIFE AND WORDS OF A !KUNG
                  WOMAN Harvard U. Press. A fascinating autobiographical account of the
                  life of a woman in one of the last remnant gathering-hunting societies
                  able to be documented anthropologically.

                  The above combination ( one text, two ethnographies ) have worked very
                  well for me over my 37 years of college teaching. Of course there
                  have been many different texts and other ethnographies along the way.
                  As I see it, the textbook allows for an important organization to the
                  course as the students follow the presentation of chapters, as well as
                  enabling me to call apon two other anthropologists, Peoples and
                  Bailey, the text authors, to assist in the teaching of anthropology to
                  my students. As I always say to my students, I can't cover all of
                  cultural anthropology by myself in the course! The ethnographies add
                  a more vivid in-depth approach to class exporation of key issues and
                  topics in cultural anthropology.

                  Sydney, any questions concerning my approach, please call 845 341-4364
                  (office) leave a message if you have to, I'll get back to you as soon
                  as I can. Much better than plunking out lengthy e-mail messages like
                  this one!

                  Hi to all of my many (I hope, especially after the 'shameless plug'
                  above) friends in SACC. Hope to see you at the next SACC conference
                  in California.
                  Barry Kass
                  --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "sydneyhart1" <S-Hart1@...> wrote:

                  > I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
                  > three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
                  > Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
                  > plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
                  > suggestions?
                  > --Sydney

                • anthony balzano
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31 8:18 AM
                    Barry,
                    These look great. Congratulations on getting them posted for everyone to see. Actually, I was looking for the ones from Seattle and couldn't find them! Ha-ha. Hope things are going well.
                    Regards,
                    Tony Balzano

                    >>> bkass@... 07/21/2006 03:59 PM >>>

                    Yahoo! Groups Links