RE: [SACC-L] Ethnography Ideas

  • Mary L. Russell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2006
      Congratulations Sydney!

      In terms of ethnographies, students in my intro cultural course enjoy reading (and seem to learn from) Nest in the Wind (Ward, 2004, 2nd ed.) and/or Dancing Skeletons (Dettwyler 1994). I choose ethnographies based in part on the majors of many of my students (nursing being a predominant one). For the course I teach on U.S. American culture, I'm particularly fond of Call to Home (Stack 1996). There are many other good ethnographies, too, and I'm guessing that other readers of this listserve will share those titles with you. I've found it helpful to make time early in the quarter to teach students how to read ethnography (nonfiction) -- this eliminates a lot of headaches later in the course when we discuss the ethnography. ;-)

      Mary

      Mary L. Russell, Ph.D.
      Instructor and Department Coordinator, Anthropology
      Pierce College - Ft. Steilacoom
      Lakewood, WA 98498
      (253) 964-6466