Advice?

  • sydneyhart1
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2006
      I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
      three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
      Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
      plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
      suggestions?
      --Sydney
    • Rebecca Cramer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2006
        Hi Sydney,
        I'll be using Roberta Leinkeit's book, Introducing Cultural Anthropology, in the course I'll be teaching at Pima College in Tucson this fall. It's a fairly succinct and readable presentation of the major areas of the discipline, and it invites the use of supplements.
        Best of luck with the new position,
        Rebecca Cramer
        http://www.u.arizona.edu/~rcramer

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
          Hello Sydney,
          If you are looking for an ethnography about contemporary America
          that addresses many of the current concerns in anthropology, I would take a
          look at "In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio" by Philippe
          Bourgois.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
            Also, check the archives- we've talked a numver of times about texts.

            Mike

          • Philip Stein
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
              I also use Leinkeit. It works very well for my students and its not terrible long.

              A good ethnography that students really enjoy is Fadiman's The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. It's an engaging story about a Hmong family in Merced and how cultures clash in the face of illness. I also use the video Split Horn about a Hmong shaman in Wisconsin.

              Phil

              sydneyhart1 wrote:
              I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
              three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
              Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
              plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
              suggestions?
              --Sydney

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
                I echo the suggestion from Phil, and have found that Philippe is a strong supporter of anthro in community colleges. If you use it, you can communicate with him directly and have your students get updates and contact. He is doing a presentation at AAA on Race and Class Issues in Community Colleges for the Anthro Education Committee this coming year.

                If you are looking for an ethnography about contemporary America
                that addresses many of the current concerns in anthropology, I would take a
                look at "In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio" by Philippe
                Bourgois.

                Quoting sydneyhart1 <S-Hart1@...>:

                > I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
                > three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
                > Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
                > plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
                > suggestions?
                > --Sydney
                >

                > !DSPAM:44bc35a5100363879013058!

              • Monica Bellas
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
                  Sydney --
                  Congratulations! I find, at my community college, that students don't have
                  the reading ability to really understand the nuances of an ethnography
                  (unfortunately, they're lucky if they're reading at an 8th grade level).
                  Lecturing on it does help, but I've found that they get much more out of
                  reading articles. I use Annual Editions: Anthropology and require that they
                  read 15 articles over the course of the semester. They must then summarize
                  the article and include their thoughts in a final paragraph. I do this in
                  conjunction with 5 other writing assignments which will guide them through
                  (hopefully) recognizing ethnocentrism and practicing cultural relativism. I
                  start them out with "Body Ritual of the Nacirema" and have them comment on
                  "those peoples'" behavior; we then discuss it in class. Then on to "Where
                  Fat is a Mark of Beauty" where they compare ideas of beauty. By this time
                  they're able to recognize and practice cultural relativism, at least in
                  their writing assignments.
                  BTW, Philippe's book is excellent...as is the Hmong ethnography. I just
                  wish my students had the reading/analytical skills to read them!
                  Monica Bellas
                  Cerritos College
                  Norwalk, CA

                  >From: "Lewine, Mark" <mark.lewine@...>
                  >To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [SACC-L] Advice?
                  >Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:36:33 -0400
                  >

                  >I echo the suggestion from Phil, and have found that Philippe is a strong
                  >supporter of anthro in community colleges. If you use it, you can
                  >communicate with him directly and have your students get updates and
                  >contact. He is doing a presentation at AAA on Race and Class Issues in
                  >Community Colleges for the Anthro Education Committee this coming year.

                • Lynch, Brian M
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 19, 2006
                    Hello all,

                    I sent a slightly different version of the following in response
                    directly to Sydney, but thought I would re-send to the whole list, as I
                    have been finding the exchange on this question a very interesting one.

                    Brian

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 21, 2006
                      Hi Sydney,

                      Best wishes regarding your recent hiring as a full time instructor
                      of anthropology courses at a two-year college setting. The SACC_L
                      group is here to
                      help, so here goes:
                      The textbook and two ethnographies I am currently assigning in my
                      "Cultural Anthropology" sections at SUNY Orange include:

                      1. Textbook--Peoples and Bailey HUMANITY-AN INTRODUCTION TO CULTURAL
                      ANTHROPOLOGY 7ED THOMSON/WADSWORTH PUB. ( especially because eleven of
                      my "Images of Anthropology" photographs are published in the text. I
                      agree that what you just read was a shameless plug. Anyway the link
                      to my website is www.imagesofanthropology.com ) The organization,
                      overall appeal, chapters included, and level of writing are excellent
                      as well.
                      2. ethnography #1: M.Ward /NEST IN THE WIND 2ND ED. An excellent
                      protrayal of an anthropologist's field experience on a tropical island
                      in the South Pacific. Waveland Press.
                      3. ethnography #2: M. Shostak NISA--THE LIFE AND WORDS OF A !KUNG
                      WOMAN Harvard U. Press. A fascinating autobiographical account of the
                      life of a woman in one of the last remnant gathering-hunting societies
                      able to be documented anthropologically.

                      The above combination ( one text, two ethnographies ) have worked very
                      well for me over my 37 years of college teaching. Of course there
                      have been many different texts and other ethnographies along the way.
                      As I see it, the textbook allows for an important organization to the
                      course as the students follow the presentation of chapters, as well as
                      enabling me to call apon two other anthropologists, Peoples and
                      Bailey, the text authors, to assist in the teaching of anthropology to
                      my students. As I always say to my students, I can't cover all of
                      cultural anthropology by myself in the course! The ethnographies add
                      a more vivid in-depth approach to class exporation of key issues and
                      topics in cultural anthropology.

                      Sydney, any questions concerning my approach, please call 845 341-4364
                      (office) leave a message if you have to, I'll get back to you as soon
                      as I can. Much better than plunking out lengthy e-mail messages like
                      this one!

                      Hi to all of my many (I hope, especially after the 'shameless plug'
                      above) friends in SACC. Hope to see you at the next SACC conference
                      in California.
                      Barry Kass
                      --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "sydneyhart1" <S-Hart1@...> wrote:

                      > I just got hired full time at a community college and I'm teaching
                      > three sections of Intro. to Cultural Anthropology. I've been using my
                      > Sociology background for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty in Anthro. I
                      > plan on using a textbook and one or two really good ethnographies. Any
                      > suggestions?
                      > --Sydney

                    • anthony balzano
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 31, 2006
                        Barry,
                        These look great. Congratulations on getting them posted for everyone to see. Actually, I was looking for the ones from Seattle and couldn't find them! Ha-ha. Hope things are going well.
                        Regards,
                        Tony Balzano

                        >>> bkass@... 07/21/2006 03:59 PM >>>

                        Yahoo! Groups Links