Re: [SACC-L] Digest Number 1188

  • Mattie Rasberry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2006
      Hi Linda,
      Yes, Wes Willoughby is T.A'ing the Craven Comm. College field school this summer. My understanding, though, is that the instructor is actually a cultural anthropologist with limited field experience rather than an archaeologist . I'll tell Dr. Ewen hello for you. Hope to see you at SEAC again this year!

      Brian,
      My specialty is historical archaeology, although the vast majority of my field experience has been in pre-historic. I particularly enjoy cemetery projects--dead people are fun!

      Mattie

      SACC-L@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Digest Number 1183
      From: "Wenzel, Jason" wenzelj@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu Jun 1, 2006 5:29 am (PDT)
      From: "Wenzel, Jason" wenzelj@...
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 1183

      Hi Linda,

      Yes, I do work with Dot as well as Dr. Grange. There seems to be quite a few interesting and special sites up in the New Smyrna/Edgewater area.

      Jason

      ________________________________

      From: "bdlqvcc" bdonohue-lynch@...
      2. Re: Anyone from the east coast?
      From: "Wenzel, Jason" wenzelj@...
      3. Find the Online degrees you want from the accredited colleges and
      un
      From: "Andy" delgatocarlos@...

      Message 1
      From: "bdlqvcc" bdonohue-lynch@...
      Date: Fri May 26, 2006 6:05am(PDT)
      Subject: Re: Anyone from the east coast?

      Hey Mattie! We're nearly neighbors! I'm from Rhode
      Island/Connecticut region! (It's all relative, I guess.)

      Seriously, there are at least a few of us (anthros in CC systems)
      here in "the east"; there have been conversations around
      stimulating the activities of regional groups, and there is much
      potential, at least in the places I am aware of, for example in New
      England and New York.

      As for the Spam vs. legitimate discussion online here, I tend to
      think that this is a fairly quiet time of the semester for online
      discussions-- the annual SACC meeting is now recenlty past, next
      year's is not yet in hot discussion, and many are preoccupied with
      the work of wrapping up the academic year etc. (Just my
      observations about the cycles in our online exchanges at times).

      Anyway, it is good hearing from you. What is your specialization,
      or your interests in anthro.?

      Brian Donohue-Lynch
      Anthropology/Sociology
      Quinebaug Valley Community College
      Danielson, CT 06239

      Part of the 12 college Connecticut Community College System

      --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, Mattie Rasberry
      wrote:

      > Hi!,
      > I am an anthro grad student (planning to teach @ Comm. college)
      at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC. Are there any other
      members out there on the east coast? I was beginning to think I
      subscribed to a spam site last month--it's nice to see that there
      are actually anthro members!

      Message 2
      From: "Wenzel, Jason" wenzelj@...
      Date: Fri May 26, 2006 8:15am(PDT)

      Hi Brian,

      I'm from the East Coast too. Well, Southeast to be more specific. I work
      as a full-time instructor at Valencia Community College in Orlando,
      Florida and as a part-time adjunct (online) for Brevard Community College
      (Cocoa/Melbourne/Palm Bay/Titusville area).

      I notice in your signature that you also teach sociology. Same here. It
      is actually the primary area I teach in (as well as education). Out of
      the two colleges I work for, I only teach one anthropology class (online)
      for Valencia out of a combined load of 9 sections. I would really like to
      teach more anthropology classes but for some reason the colleges do not
      seem to want to offer any more sections (they are mostly taught by
      adjuncts). On the contrary, alot of students express a sincere interest
      in the discipline (and thus courses) and our major state university (UCF)
      that my cc's feed into have more anthropology than sociogy majors. I
      still enjoy teaching sociology, however, and I really like being a
      "multidisciplinary" or "hybrid" -as some call it, instructor.

      My research and work outside of the classroom, however, is primarily in
      archaeology. I am currently working a historic home site in Titusville
      (1891-2005 occupation) as well as a British & Minorcan colonial period
      settlement in New Smyrna Beach (late 18th century). I have also worked a
      Mayan site in Belize (Caracol), a forensic case (an assasination of two
      prominent civil rights leaders in 1951) and an Archaic Southeastern
      Indian/Historic "Cracker" site in Meritt Island in the past year and a
      half.

      Well, that's a little about me ;).

      Jason

      wrote:

      > Hi!,
      > I am an anthro grad student (planning to teach @ Comm. college)
      at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC. Are there any other
      members out there on the east coast? I was beginning to think I
      subscribed to a spam site last month--it's nice to see that there
      are actually anthro members!

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Message 3
      From: "Andy" delgatocarlos@...
      Date: Fri May 26, 2006 2:48pm(PDT)
      Subject: Find the Online degrees you want from the accredited colleges and
      un

      Hi there,
      It is sometimes difficult to make a decision about online degrees you
      want, and which fits with your requirements such as your pocket as well as
      with your busy time.

      The easiest way to choose a degree is to search and find an accredited
      college or university, which offers your desired degree. And communicate
      with them by sending them information request before making a decision. It
      takes just couple of minutes of your time but you would normally receive
      all the information you need.

      In this regard online colleges and Universities reply rather quickly and
      send additional information, the best thing is there is no obligation from
      your part.

      Regards
      Search for degrees, bachelors, masters, PhDs, certification and continuing
      education on

      http://www.edegreesearch.com/?aff=128

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Lynch, Brian M
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2006
        Hello again,

        This is Brian Donohue-Lynch from a small community college in
        northeastern Connecticut (Quinebaug Valley Community College). Some
        have seen my posts about a variety of things, including those on
        "learning outcomes assessment," and it is this particular discussion
        that I would like re-animate. However, if it needs a place of its own, I
        would be glad to branch it off somehow, though I hope that it would be
        of general interest to this full group.

        Since I shared my presentation on this topic way back in Savannah, it
        has been interesting to hear back from people, including from some who
        may not have thought at that time that they would be dealing with the
        topic themselves back at their respective institutions. What I am
        looking for is a further conversation-- rather than debating the merits
        of such efforts, to be focused instead on a key point toward which I
        think anthropologists should have a particular contribution to make; it
        has to do with our discipline's fundamental concern for understanding
        pattern, process, system etc. in cultures and societies.

        It is my growing understanding, in fact, that there is a persistent
        dilemma in higher education around the whole challenge of doing
        meaningful "learning outcomes assessment." And the dilemma is not that
        we don't know how to "do assessment"; many among us have little problem
        knowing how to identify intended learning outcomes for our courses,
        establish standards for assessing these, creating multiple ways to do
        actual assessment etc. The dilemma, instead, is a function of the fact
        that we aren't looking for ways to do such things in an organized,
        systematic way, with the right tools and perspectives that will enable
        us to see beyond the accumulated artifacts of our numerous, often
        disparate efforts. Along the way, as well, there are "traps" that take
        efforts onto detours, which then tend to confirm for at least some
        people that this is all a futile effort.

        One such trap is to continue to approach "assessment" from any number of
        previous models--the languages and categories of which become their own
        rationales for confusion and failure. There is a value, for example in
        "rubrics," and "outcomes," and "abilities," etc. but dominant systems
        of assessment that have already been tried and abandoned, sometimes out
        of sheer exhaustion, continue to be called up by such terms, and their
        potential value is overshadowed by the "Oh God, NO! Not AGAIN!"
        syndrome.

        I have worked with a number of faculty at our own place who almost have
        to go into recovery from previous assessment experiences before they
        could ever hear the words again. I think of the detective in the Pink
        Panther films, who eventually develops a severe tic and an
        uncontrollable laugh at the mention of "Clouseau." Not only do some have
        a negative reaction to assessment, but some continue to think about it
        through cumbersome, confusing, contentious models from their past
        experiences.

        But, the larger problem I see, is one that calls for an "anthropological
        imagination." Imagine any number of situations in which a cultural
        anthropologist has talked with people and observed them in their
        everyday behavior and experience, and then has stepped back, to draw
        into focus the "big picture" that few if anyone IN the culture itself
        have consciously imagined. It is something of a fundamental insight of
        the discipline, in fact, that most people in carrying out everyday
        patterns of behavior don't do so with a comprehension of or attention to
        the complexities, structures, and systems of the "big picture" of their
        cultures. Anthropologists are the ones who are suppose to have begun to
        comprehend that there IS a "big picture" (a deep structure, a pattern of
        culture, a pattern of behavior and for behavior etc.) and have developed
        the methodologies for drawing these dimensions of system and structure
        and pattern into view.

        Part of the confusion that seems to be happening is that in doing
        learning assessment we are in effect trying to get at the
        "anthropological perspective" (the patterns, the systematically achieved
        learning outcomes); but the focus and practice of those doing the
        assessing are stuck at a level of a kind of Boasian
        partcularism-gathering countless artifacts and observations and
        counts-without any comprehension of how to draw meaning from the
        accumulations. Or to use another analogy from the discipline, we are
        like archeologists who accumulate piles, boxes and drawers of artifacts
        (learning artifacts?) but don't collect these in any systematic way
        that would then allow us to "read" them for their three-dimensional
        meaning. Or, finally, we are stuck in the emic phase, not knowing how to
        move to an etic phase of our research.

        The problem we are facing-the plateau at which so many efforts seem to
        get stalled-is not because people don't know how to identify important
        learning outcomes, or how to assess these accurately, or how to develop
        standards (rubrics) for such assessment, or how to link these to their
        course offerings and programs, but because we don't know how to do all
        of this in a clear, organized, and systematic way, with the right
        tools, to then be able to make sense out of what we have finally
        accumulated.

        Imagine if Malinowski had tried to do his research in the Trobriand
        Islands using an Outcomes Assessment committee! We might never have a
        grasp of the systematic/systemic nature of the Kula Ring. We might have
        some significant collections of artifacts, and pictures, and
        inventories, and numbers, and assessments of many individual exchanges,
        and evaluation of the variety and quality of bracelets and necklaces,
        and so on, but we'd still be wondering to ourselves, "Now what do we do
        with all this stuff!?"

        This is where I have seen a few (and only a few) emerging examples of
        tools and approaches that head in the right direction-of enabling people
        to move toward a deeper and richer reading of the "stuff" they have
        accumulated in the name of learning outcomes assessment. I have also
        seen quite a few efforts that claim to be headed in this direction, but
        that stop well short of any "big picture" analysis capabilities.
        Unfortunately, many who are under the pressure of pending accreditation
        visits or the growing demands of legislatures, turn to things that sound
        like they will answer their assessment needs, but that in fact continue
        to fall far short (like electronic portfolios, or "student engagement
        surveys,"or even standardized tests.) These in themselves are not
        useless or bad, just not enough to get us off the plateau.

        Our small pilot project, (that is being carried out in at least one
        other college in our system, and at probably 10 or 12 other colleges
        across the U.S.) is working with a system that, in itself doesn't do the
        assessment of student learning, but that instead gives us a tool for the
        gathering of mostly qualitative data on actually achieved student
        learning outcomes, that then gives us a way to read the "big picture" at
        our institutions. It is a system, by the way, that was developed and is
        now supported by a guy with a significant background in anthropology!

        I would love to talk further with anyone interested in this challenge.
        I think that many efforts leave people stuck in a place where they are
        not sure how to get off the plateau. It is often as if we are trying to
        create the "big picture" of assessment (the scale of system, and
        process, and pattern) from inside-out, by engaging everyone in the
        micro-routines of defining rubrics, and crafting interesting classroom
        assessment techniques, and gathering samples of "demonstrated student
        learning outcomes," and hoping in the process that all this effort will
        somehow result in coherent system, pattern, process.

        This kind of effort needs anthropologists, desperately!

        I look forward to further communication about this. I hope that at
        least a few on our list find this a useful discussion..

        Brian
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2006
          Well, Brian, you answered my individual request for 'best practices' of qualitatitve assessment in the social sciences by starting a major discussion of the issue on the list-serve.. I loved your essay on the issue, by the way. A very thoughtful and literate discussion, but I am afraid that your main point is correct. Many of us, including myself, want you to carry the load on this because we sense that it does not matter what we think, "they" will use "assessment" to hand our lives over totally to the accountants and the techies. My God, look at the way the issue was constructed by my colleague for our "faculty conversation" which prompted me to write you for help! (the following is the text of a meeting announcement asking faculty leaders to participate in a discussion of this assessment issue which I desperately sent to Brian, hoping he would save me with a qualitative method which would trump the "technological" assessment instrument of torture sure to come):

          Faculty Conversation-Friday, October 13, 2006

          at Gwinn Estate

          "Classroom Assessment Techniques Series"

          Please join us for our first Conversation in the Series focusing on technology-based assessment. The November conversation will highlight traditional forms of non-technology assessment, and the February conversation will focus on best practices of both modalities.

          Technology-Based Assessment

          Assessment has always been an important means of evaluating the effectiveness of learning, instructional methods, and whether instructional methods accomplish course objectives. The increasing use of technology in the real and virtual environments is concomitant with the rise of using technology-based assessments. This discussion will focus on the cost-benefit analysis of assessment practices in technology.

          for discussion at the conversation:

          ¬ What practices enhance and maintain the integrity of the assessment and the learning process?

          ¬ How can the academic community benefit from technology-based assessment while avoiding its pitfalls?

          ¬ How does technology-based assessment enhance student achievement?

          ¬ Describe successful projects where technology-based assessment has been implemented.

          facilitator

          Christie Okocha, Assistant Professor, English

          The Conversation begins promptly at 12:00 Noon

          faculty development program