Anyone from the east coast?

  • Mattie Rasberry
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2006
      Hi!,
      I am an anthro grad student (planning to teach @ Comm. college) at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC. Are there any other members out there on the east coast? I was beginning to think I subscribed to a spam site last month--it's nice to see that there are actually anthro members!

    • bdlqvcc
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2006
        Hey Mattie! We're nearly neighbors! I'm from Rhode
        Island/Connecticut region! (It's all relative, I guess.)

        Seriously, there are at least a few of us (anthros in CC systems)
        here in "the east"; there have been conversations around
        stimulating the activities of regional groups, and there is much
        potential, at least in the places I am aware of, for example in New
        England and New York.

        As for the Spam vs. legitimate discussion online here, I tend to
        think that this is a fairly quiet time of the semester for online
        discussions-- the annual SACC meeting is now recenlty past, next
        year's is not yet in hot discussion, and many are preoccupied with
        the work of wrapping up the academic year etc. (Just my
        observations about the cycles in our online exchanges at times).

        Anyway, it is good hearing from you. What is your specialization,
        or your interests in anthro.?

        Brian Donohue-Lynch
        Anthropology/Sociology
        Quinebaug Valley Community College
        Danielson, CT 06239

        Part of the 12 college Connecticut Community College System

        --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, Mattie Rasberry
        <mattierasberry0226@...> wrote:

        > Hi!,
        > I am an anthro grad student (planning to teach @ Comm. college)
        at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC. Are there any other
        members out there on the east coast? I was beginning to think I
        subscribed to a spam site last month--it's nice to see that there
        are actually anthro members!

      • Wenzel, Jason
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2006
          Hi Brian,

          I'm from the East Coast too. Well, Southeast to be more specific. I work as a full-time instructor at Valencia Community College in Orlando, Florida and as a part-time adjunct (online) for Brevard Community College (Cocoa/Melbourne/Palm Bay/Titusville area).

          I notice in your signature that you also teach sociology. Same here. It is actually the primary area I teach in (as well as education). Out of the two colleges I work for, I only teach one anthropology class (online) for Valencia out of a combined load of 9 sections. I would really like to teach more anthropology classes but for some reason the colleges do not seem to want to offer any more sections (they are mostly taught by adjuncts). On the contrary, alot of students express a sincere interest in the discipline (and thus courses) and our major state university (UCF) that my cc's feed into have more anthropology than sociogy majors. I still enjoy teaching sociology, however, and I really like being a "multidisciplinary" or "hybrid" -as some call it, instructor.

          My research and work outside of the classroom, however, is primarily in archaeology. I am currently working a historic home site in Titusville (1891-2005 occupation) as well as a British & Minorcan colonial period settlement in New Smyrna Beach (late 18th century). I have also worked a Mayan site in Belize (Caracol), a forensic case (an assasination of two prominent civil rights leaders in 1951) and an Archaic Southeastern Indian/Historic "Cracker" site in Meritt Island in the past year and a half.

          Well, that's a little about me ;).

          Jason

          <mattierasberry0226@...> wrote:

          > Hi!,
          > I am an anthro grad student (planning to teach @ Comm. college)
          at East Carolina University in Greenville, NC. Are there any other
          members out there on the east coast? I was beginning to think I
          subscribed to a spam site last month--it's nice to see that there
          are actually anthro members!

          Yahoo! Groups Links