Re: [SACC-L] SACC Involvement in the AAA/Ford Foundation National Race Project

  • Renee Garcia
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2006
      I am very happy to see that a session of this topic will be at the
      AAAs. But I am sorry I did not know of the development of this project
      until now. I am a new full-time faculty in Anthropology. But I think I
      have a very unique persepective in that I am a biological
      anthropologist who is of Mexican-American ancestry. I'm afraid this
      latter feature makes me rather alone in my field. I would have really
      enjoyed being able to participate in the project at the meetings, but
      lacking of funding keeps me from it.

      I have to admit that I have researched organizations (or the suborgs)
      of AAA to try and find a place where I could find commaraderie not
      just being of Mexican origin, but being a scientist who believes in
      the power of morphology and its importance (and value) in
      distinguishing ancestry. I also want to say very clearly, there is
      racism, yes, even in academia. Wow, that is a hard thing to admit,
      especially knowing the truth of it.

      As I stated earlier, I have looked up sub-orgs and have either been
      confronted with outdated web sites or no access unless I become a
      member first. Of course, I understand the value of memberships, but I
      think we should be realistic and understand that some of us want to be
      sure of a match. To date, no luck.

      I am so please that Laura Nader and Phillipe Bourgois will be present.
      I did my undergrad at UCB and Dr. Nader had a great impact in my
      decision to become an anthropologist and I am currently teaaching Cult
      Anthro 1 using Dr. Bourgois anthology on violence in war and peace.

      Please keep up this thread, I look forward to hearing the progress. I
      would also like to offer my help. I did not mention that I started at
      community college worked with EOPS and eventually went to UC Berkeley,
      Univ. Sorbonne, and Univ. Bordeaux where I am enrolled in the Biol
      Anthrop. doctorate program. I bring this up only to say that we need
      to include discussion of practical changes changes as well.

      I have not read the project outline, if someone could send me a copy I
      would greatly appreciate. I am thrilled and relieved that we are
      taking on this role. I certainly feel we can be the catalyst.

      Renee
      Renee Garcia
      Department of Anthropology
      Saddleback College

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2006
        Renee, please consider not only being involved in the Race Project when it
        comes to a city near you (sites have not yet been chosen) but please come to
        AAA prepared to engage the dialogue at our session about Race and Class
        Issues in Community College, Dangers and Opportunities. We hope that both
        the Project and the session at AAA are catalysts that begin to raise the
        American level of discussion of this topic that has been stagnant at best,
        regressive at worst. I say American because this discussion has left out too
        many societies in the Americas and too many groups within those societies.
        Please jump in, join SACC to help us bring breadth and depth to these issues
        and to our organizaton. We are the section that will engage this with you.
        Right now, as VP of SACC, I would like to invite you to consider submitting
        a paper on one of the very significant ideas conveyed in your email, and
        help us understand more of your views.