SACC Involvement in the AAA/Ford Foundation National Race Project

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28 7:12 PM
      I have reported to the SACC executive board that my tentative discussion about community college involvement through SACC in the AAA/Ford Foundation Race Project with Yolande Moses (Project Chair and past President of AAA) and Peggy Overby (Principal Investigator and Project Director) met with lukewarm response and a suggestion that we offer a session at AAA on issues of race at community colleges. If you read the attached project summary (and more detailed materials that I will send you on request), the project requires educational outreach plans to each of the fifteen urban communities. they are seeking more funds for such outreach work from the NEH this year. Community colleges are perfectly positioned in most urban areas for such outreach to schools and the community, and SACC is the only national oranization representing community college anthropology. As I am already chairing an Invited Panel for the Anthropology Education Committee at AAA next November on Issues of Race and Class in Community Colleges which will include two SACC members and a Mesa Community College faculty member (who will become a member this year!) as well as Philippe Bourgois of UCSF and Laura Nader (both are advocates of community college education and research), I sent Yolande Moses and Peggy Overby our Panel Abstract and summary of our SACC meeting. they responded very positively and proved me wrong-they are now on record as recognizing and supporting our future role in this historically significant national project. Now we need the SACC leadership and membership to review, discuss and begin to consider ideas for our community colleges helping this project to make a strong impact on public awareness and knowledge of race as this project will begin its implementation phase in 2007. This project has the potential to be the vehicle where our niche as the leader in community-linked education and skill in reaching out to the general public to make science understandable becomes clear to all. The project is so large that politics will be involved in the process as it proceeds; we should be ready to step up and take on our role if needed.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29 11:42 AM
        I am very happy to see that a session of this topic will be at the
        AAAs. But I am sorry I did not know of the development of this project
        until now. I am a new full-time faculty in Anthropology. But I think I
        have a very unique persepective in that I am a biological
        anthropologist who is of Mexican-American ancestry. I'm afraid this
        latter feature makes me rather alone in my field. I would have really
        enjoyed being able to participate in the project at the meetings, but
        lacking of funding keeps me from it.

        I have to admit that I have researched organizations (or the suborgs)
        of AAA to try and find a place where I could find commaraderie not
        just being of Mexican origin, but being a scientist who believes in
        the power of morphology and its importance (and value) in
        distinguishing ancestry. I also want to say very clearly, there is
        racism, yes, even in academia. Wow, that is a hard thing to admit,
        especially knowing the truth of it.

        As I stated earlier, I have looked up sub-orgs and have either been
        confronted with outdated web sites or no access unless I become a
        member first. Of course, I understand the value of memberships, but I
        think we should be realistic and understand that some of us want to be
        sure of a match. To date, no luck.

        I am so please that Laura Nader and Phillipe Bourgois will be present.
        I did my undergrad at UCB and Dr. Nader had a great impact in my
        decision to become an anthropologist and I am currently teaaching Cult
        Anthro 1 using Dr. Bourgois anthology on violence in war and peace.

        Please keep up this thread, I look forward to hearing the progress. I
        would also like to offer my help. I did not mention that I started at
        community college worked with EOPS and eventually went to UC Berkeley,
        Univ. Sorbonne, and Univ. Bordeaux where I am enrolled in the Biol
        Anthrop. doctorate program. I bring this up only to say that we need
        to include discussion of practical changes changes as well.

        I have not read the project outline, if someone could send me a copy I
        would greatly appreciate. I am thrilled and relieved that we are
        taking on this role. I certainly feel we can be the catalyst.

        Renee
        Renee Garcia
        Department of Anthropology
        Saddleback College

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2006
          Renee, please consider not only being involved in the Race Project when it
          comes to a city near you (sites have not yet been chosen) but please come to
          AAA prepared to engage the dialogue at our session about Race and Class
          Issues in Community College, Dangers and Opportunities. We hope that both
          the Project and the session at AAA are catalysts that begin to raise the
          American level of discussion of this topic that has been stagnant at best,
          regressive at worst. I say American because this discussion has left out too
          many societies in the Americas and too many groups within those societies.
          Please jump in, join SACC to help us bring breadth and depth to these issues
          and to our organizaton. We are the section that will engage this with you.
          Right now, as VP of SACC, I would like to invite you to consider submitting
          a paper on one of the very significant ideas conveyed in your email, and
          help us understand more of your views.