Re: FW: ON COURSE NEWSLETTER: Adding High-Tech Tools to Learning-Team Activities

  • deborah_j_shepherd
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2006
      I teach online using D2L (aka "Desire2Learn"). We are supposed to have
      a shared online calendar function. It is extremely useful. However, our
      IT people had to disable it because the ever-expanding number of
      Minnesota online courses (this is a statewide system) perpetually
      overloads the D2L servers!

      Deborah

      --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Lewine, Mark" <mark.lewine@...> wrote:

      > I am amazed at the following high-tech adaptations that are suddenly
      > becoming a major part of our teaching/learning strategies as
      webcourses
      > and hybrid web courses are surging in enrollment at our community
      > colleges. Do any of you have experiences with these tools and
      students'
      > uses?
      >
      > ________________________________
      >
      > Subject: ON COURSE NEWSLETTER: Adding High-Tech Tools to Learning-Team
      > Activities

    • bdlqvcc
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2006
        Mark et al.

        At our small CC in rural NE Connecticut, we made a commitment back
        in the "early days" of the WWW (starting with the first graphical
        web-browsers in 1994-95) to make sure that we kept at least some of
        the emerging technologies always available to "students first..."
        We had a strong sense that these were going to be key resources for
        higher education--- especially because we could already see what the
        K-12 kids "down the road" were already doing!!

        When upgrades are called for (hardware, software etc.) they are in
        our public labs usually before they are on most faculty's desks...
        Many of our students would otherwise not be able to access such
        things at home, in our relatively economcially depressed region of
        the state.
        We now use a course-management system for every class (whether on-
        ground or online) at the very least to make syllabi, internal
        email,and hreaded discussions available to all students. We are
        grappling with network security issues so that we can also make
        wireless available throughout the school; students with cell phones
        can already access our webpages etc.; I and a few others teach
        courses via 2way video conferencing between our two campuses. It
        won't take much to make everything that is now online routinely
        available through pda's etc.
        This is not just to have the latest "toys"; we are very careful to
        discriminate between what we perceive to be 'fads' vs. signifcant
        emerging technologies, though this is always a matter of discernment
        and judgment.

        And the most challenging thought in all this is that already the
        kids in K12 have more skill (and higher expectations) with any of
        this than many of the most advanced planners in higher ed!

        It is FUN, besides, and opens up so many new possibilities for
        learning and connecting. I often makes me wonder why, especially in
        anthropology, there haven't been more efforts like the Mayaquest
        project back in the late 1990's, or the online international
        associations like the WAOE (of which I was a founding member back in
        1998 or so).

        wrote:

        > I am amazed at the following high-tech adaptations that are
        suddenly
        > becoming a major part of our teaching/learning strategies as
        webcourses
        > and hybrid web courses are surging in enrollment at our community
        > colleges. Do any of you have experiences with these tools and
        students'
        > uses?

        > Subject: ON COURSE NEWSLETTER: Adding High-Tech Tools to Learning-
        Team