Merida meeting, getting to hotel from the airport

  • Chuck Ellenbaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2006
      SACC Friends and Colleagues

      Based on some questions I had gotten about getting from the airport to the hotel, I asked our tour operator, Trudy Woodcock for her suggestions and here they are.

      If you have any other questions about merida, please contact her directly.

      Thanks.

      Chuck ><>
      Charles O. Ellenbaum
      President, SACC
      707 Shady Avenue
      Geneva, IL 60134 USA
      Cell: 630-404-1261
      Home: 630-262-1281
      >ellenbaumbridge@...<
      De Colores and Ultreya

      "The sea never changes, and its works, for all the talk of man, are wrapped in mystery." Joseph Conrad

      "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it." Herman Melville

      From: Trudy 1 <trudy1@...>
      To: Chuck Ellenbaum <ellenbaumbridge@...>
      Date: Thu Feb 09, 2006 06:40:04 PM CST
      Subject: Re: Merida meeting, getting to hotel

      Hi Chuck,

      Taxis:
      Merida is one of the safest cities in North America. I have never heard of
      anyone here having problems with taxis. You can flag them down on the
      street, use one of the many taxi stands or ask the hotel to order one for
      you. There are two types of taxis; metered or flat rate. The ones with
      meters are often cheaper but not always easy to find. If you use a taxi
      that has a flat rate ask what it is when you get into it. The rate is based
      on where you are going and in the city is generally between 30 and 50 pesos
      which is less than $3.00 or $5.00. You will need pesos although some might
      accept dollars but not at a good exchange rate.

      Taxis from the airport:
      The taxi stand at the airport is well organized. You buy a 'voucher' at the
      booth and give it to the taxi driver, so it is pre paid. It is about 120
      pesos from the airport. Your hotel is the Panamericana on Calle 59 between
      52 and 54 in el centro. All the taxi drivers will know it.

      Pesos:
      It is always nice to have some pesos when you arrive but there are lots of
      places to change dollars once you are here. Many people use their ATM cards
      to get their pesos. There will be one near your hotel. You can also change
      some money at the airport. I suggest the bank machines. It is easy and they
      generally give you a good rate of exchange. Just confirm with your bank
      that your card is accepted in Mexico.

      Hope that helps, Chuck. Please email if you have other questions.

      Regards,
      Trudy Woodcock
      www.iluminado-tours.com