Food/Climate/Clothing Tips for Merida

  • Chuck Ellenbaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2006
      SACC Friends and Colleagues

      Here is some good information about the climate for Merida in early March and some suggestions for food, drink, and clothing.

      For those of you going down early, Trudy would be an excellent resource for what you want to do.

      See you next month in Merida.

      Chuck ><>
      Charles O. Ellenbaum
      President, SACC
      707 Shady Avenue
      Geneva, IL 60134 USA
      Cell: 630-404-1261
      Home: 630-262-1281
      >ellenbaumbridge@...<
      De Colores and Ultreya

      "The sea never changes, and its works, for all the talk of man, are wrapped in mystery." Joseph Conrad

      "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it." Herman Melville

      From: Trudy 1 <trudy1@...>
      To: Chuck Ellenbaum <ellenbaumbridge@...>
      Date: Thu Feb 09, 2006 07:20:57 PM CST
      Subject: Re: Food/Climate Questions

      Hi Chuck,

      Early March is likely to be warm to hot during the day (80 to 90 degrees)
      but could get as much at 20 degrees cooler in the evening and night. You
      will need light clothing for the day and possibly a light sweater or jacket
      in the evening. It is the dry season and rain will be unlikely. The weather
      everywhere has been unpredictable so rain is not out of the question.

      Hats are important when you are out in the sun for long (the Chichen Itza
      tour). Good walking shoes are a must. It is a good idea to have a small
      knapsack to carry your cameras, water, sunblock, insect repellent, etc. and
      keep you hands free for climbing. There isn't a lot of climbing but there
      will be some.

      Food:
      Don't drink the tap water. You can get bottles of purified water everywhere
      here. Everyone uses purified water even for ice cubes. I wouldn't
      recommend that people eat in the market or from the street vendors unless
      they know they have a strong digestive system. Eating in the good
      restaurants should be no problem. Check the following website for more
      restaurant info: http://www.yucatantoday.com/eng-restaurants.htm .

      However, people do sometimes get sick just because of the change in the
      diet. Everyone will have to use their best judgment. Remind people to wash
      their hands frequently. Those hand sanitizers that don't need water would
      be good to carry with them.

      The food in the Yucatan is wonderful and different than other parts of
      Mexico. The spicy stuff is usually on the side for you to add depending on
      your tastes. The usual American fast food places, McDonalds, Burger King,
      KFC. etc. are here too.

      The milk here should be fine. It is pasteurized. I don't drink milk.
      People tell me it tastes different but I don't know of anyone who has had a
      health problem with it.

      Hope that helps. Ask again if you need more info.

      Regards,
      Trudy Woodcock
      www.iluminado-tours.com