book review

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2006
      Dear Colleagues,

      I received an advance review copy of the following book and would
      like someone to review it for the spring 2006 issue of SACC Notes:

      The Goddess Lives in Upstate New York: Breaking Convention and Making
      Home at a North American Hindu Temple by Corinne G. Dempsey. New
      York, Oxford University Press, 2006. The author is Associate
      Professor of Religious Studies at the Univ. of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

      "The Goddess... is a profile of a flourishing Hindu temple in the
      town of Rush, NY...Dempsey weaves traditional South Asian tales,
      temple miracle accounts, and devotional testimonials into an analysis
      of the distinctive dynamics of diaspora Hinduism" (from the back cover).

      Anyone interested in reviewing it please let me know and include your
      snail mail address. Consider a 1000-3000 word review e-mailed to me
      by February 20.

      Thank you.

      Lloyd Miller (Editor, SACC Notes)