FW: [SERMLIST] Dar al Islam

  • Dianne Chidester
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2006
      I attended this program in 1998 and really learned a lot. If anyone wants to know more about it, let me know. I also wrote a short review for SACC Notes. -- Dianne

      >UNDERSTANDING AND TEACHING ABOUT ISLAM
      >A free residential two-week long institute for educators
      >July 5 through July 16, 2006
      >
      >Program:
      >Dar al Islam is pleased to offer a residential, two-week Institute this
      >summer. The program covers the faith, civilization, and world-view of Islam
      >through a study of primary texts and classical and later interpretations.
      >The Institute's major goal is to offer educators an opportunity to see how
      >Islam works in the daily life of Muslims and to better understand the basic
      >tenets this fast growing faith in the Untied States and the world.
      >
      >Setting:
      >The Institute is held at Dar al Islam's Abiquiu program site in the
      >beautiful mountains of northern New Mexico. Participants and faculty are
      >housed in the outstanding Mosque-School complex designed by the world
      >famous Egyptian
      >architect, Hassan Fathy. The setting and arrangements provide ample
      >opportunities for frequent interaction among the participants, faculty and
      >staff. From the mesa one may view sunsets and meteor showers simply by
      >walking outside. Be advised that the accommodations, while beautiful, are
      >rustic. Bring your open mind and spirit of adventure.
      >
      >Costs and Expenses:
      >There are no fees for attending. Participants pay for their travel
      >expenses. The Institute provides instructional fees, books and
      >supplementary teaching materials, on-site room and board, and
      >transportation to and from the Albuquerque
      >Airport.
      >
      > Application Procedure
      >
      >Note: There are no "application forms." Please send the following
      >documents:
      >
      >By the deadline of April 3, 2006, each application must provide:
      >
      >(1) a brief description (200 words) of your teaching responsibilities
      >including the coming academic year, together with a description of your
      >institution
      >(2) a resume (limited to 2 pages please)
      >(3) two letters of reference, one of which must be from the head of your
      >institution or your supervisor
      >(4) a one page statement of personal and professional reasons to attend
      >
      >All applications and supporting materials are to be sent in hard copy form
      >(not fax or e-mail attachment) to: Karima
      >Diane Alavi, Director, Dar al Islam Teachers' Institutes
      >PO Box 180
      >Abiquiu, New Mexico 87510 - 0180
      >(505) 685-4515 x 24 / kdalavi@...
      >
      >Applicants will be notified of acceptance by April 14, 2006. Dar al Islam
      >programs do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
      >sex, special needs or age.
      >
      >For further information on the site, the Teachers' Institutes, and other
      >Dar al Islam programs, please visit our web site at www.daralislam.org

      The content of this electronic communication is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed and may contain sensitive, confidential or privileged information. The dissemination, retransmission or use of any information by any person other than the intended recipient or recipients is strictly prohibited. This item has been scanned for virus and malware infection and is free from known infections.