Re: [SACC-L] Call for Papers - Reminder

  • Thomas Stevenson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2006
      Becky,
      Here is my abstract. If you would prefer it in another format, please
      let me know. I appreciate your acknowledging receipt.
      Thanks,
      Tom

      Loss Leaders and Self-Service at Wal-Mart and the University:
      Parallels in Marketing and Retention

      Thomas B. Stevenson
      Ohio University, Zanesville Campus

      For the last one hundred years American universities curricula have been
      increasingly geared to the needs of business, industry, or government.
      Coursework is increasingly job-oriented, intended both to fulfill an
      economic need and to increase the perceived relevance of higher
      education. While this may not have been Plato’s intent, this is not
      necessarily bad. In this era of tight budgets and keen competition,
      universities are casting their recruiting nets more widely and adopting
      retail marketing practices to attract students (Kirp 2004; Whiteside
      2004; Morrison 2004; Sevier 2002; Zemsky, Wegner and Massy 2005).
      Sometimes these methods have positive results, enrolling high-quality,
      motivated students. More the glitz and gimmicks lure poorly-prepared,
      lackadaisical pupils. This paper is turns a skeptical anthropological
      eye to these dollars driven tactics.

      --
      Thomas B. Stevenson, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor, Anthropology