Re: [SACC-L] Digest Number 1124

  • Linda France Stine LFSTINE
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2006
      Also, the Cherokee have some interesting creation tales, see for example
      Hudson's book Southeastern Indians. Good contrast to Hopi creation.
      Sounds like a great course. LFS

      Dr. Linda France Stine, RPA
      Department of Anthropology
      (336)-256-1098 lfstine@...

      SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      01/13/2006 10:51 AM
      Please respond to
      SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

      SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      cc

      Subject
      [SACC-L] Digest Number 1124

      There are 5 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Advice needed on a new course
      From: "Dianne Chidester" <dianne.chidester@...>
      2. Re: Advice needed on a new course
      From: anthropmor@...
      3. Re: Advice needed on a new course
      From: anthropmor@...
      4. RE: Advice needed on a new course
      From: "Dianne Chidester" <dianne.chidester@...>
      5. SACC-fest in Merida
      From: "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:21:14 -0500
      From: "Dianne Chidester" <dianne.chidester@...>
      Subject: Advice needed on a new course

      It looks like a course that some students have asked me to teach is going
      to happen, so...

      I'd really appreciate your recommendations.

      The course is an interdisciplinary class on "origins." Students will read
      origin stories from various cultures and short ethnographic studies will
      be paired with them. I'm thinking Native American, Sumerian, something
      from Africa, Judeo-Christian-Muslim, Darwinian, etc.

      I'm open to suggestions for recommended reading or if anyone has taught a
      course like this, I'd love to chat!

      Thanks for your help!
      Dianne

      Dianne Lynn Chidester
      Anthropology & Sociology
      Greenville Technical College
      506 S. Pleasantburg Dr.
      Greenville, SC 29607

      864-250-8729 (office)

      The content of this electronic communication is intended only for the
      person or persons to whom it is addressed and may contain sensitive,
      confidential or privileged information. The dissemination, retransmission
      or use of any information by any person other than the intended recipient
      or recipients is strictly prohibited. This item has been scanned for
      virus and malware infection and is free from known infections.

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:47:11 EST
      From: anthropmor@...
      Subject: Re: Advice needed on a new course

      Is this a 10 week or 16 week course?
      What level student is this for? More specifically, are they familiar
      with
      anthro, or will people be taking this with no previous anthro knowledge?
      There is a nice little video called "Dream Tales" which has some
      illustrated Yaqui origin myths.
      Popul Voh springs to mind, as well. There are other, Oceanic origin
      myths
      which I 'm sure would be interesting.
      The Nuer/Dinka east african origin stories are quite good, as well -
      very
      entertaining. I can't recall the author, but there are beast tales and
      other
      folklore of the Nuer available, in old copies, of course.
      There is also a possible interesting final couple of weeks for your
      class,
      as the Origin stories which also feature end of the world scenarios as
      well.
      Norse Gods, Aztec/ Mesoamerican, Abrahamic, etc.
      Just noodling, - Mike Pavlik

      Message: 3

      Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 15:37:18 -0500
      From: "Dianne Chidester" <dianne.chidester@...>

      This is a 16 week course at a community college. Students will be honors
      students (motivated), but there will not be a prerequisite.

      Thanks, Mike, for the suggestions.

      ________________________________

[...]

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      The content of this electronic communication is intended only for the
      person or persons to whom it is addressed and may contain sensitive,
      confidential or privileged information. The dissemination, retransmission
      or use of any information by any person other than the intended recipient
      or recipients is strictly prohibited. This item has been scanned for
      virus and malware infection and is free from known infections.

      Message: 5
      Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:41:01 -0500
      From: "Mark Lewine" <mlewine@...>
      Subject: SACC-fest in Merida

      By now most of you are back from vacation and need to get that
      registration to the SACC conference in Merida done...it just seems like
      the perfect time to get away in that warm Mayan sun and even warmer Mayan
      culture! To those of you having to fly from difficult places like me
      (Cleveland, Ohio) I just found a fantastic set of times and fares with my
      college's travel agent, Navigant. (216-749-6400) $450 roundtrip with only
      one stop in Atlanta both ways, leaving Cleveland on March 8th at 7:35am,
      getting in Merida at 12:30pm! Return is even better, leaving Merida at
      1:30pm, getting back at 9pm on Sunday March 12th. I could not get close
      in price or times on the internet myself this time. IF YOU NEED A
      CONFERENCE FLYER WITH REG. FORMS BY EMAIL LET ME KNOW. BRING COLLEAGUES.
      SEND IN REGISTRATION TOMORROW. (by the way, friends: Sally got a clean
      bill of health with last check-up so we will both see you there!)