Advice needed on a new course

  • Dianne Chidester
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2006
      It looks like a course that some students have asked me to teach is going to happen, so...

      I'd really appreciate your recommendations.

      The course is an interdisciplinary class on "origins." Students will read origin stories from various cultures and short ethnographic studies will be paired with them. I'm thinking Native American, Sumerian, something from Africa, Judeo-Christian-Muslim, Darwinian, etc.

      I'm open to suggestions for recommended reading or if anyone has taught a course like this, I'd love to chat!

      Thanks for your help!
      Dianne

      Dianne Lynn Chidester
      Anthropology & Sociology
      Greenville Technical College
      506 S. Pleasantburg Dr.
      Greenville, SC 29607

      864-250-8729 (office)

      The content of this electronic communication is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed and may contain sensitive, confidential or privileged information. The dissemination, retransmission or use of any information by any person other than the intended recipient or recipients is strictly prohibited. This item has been scanned for virus and malware infection and is free from known infections.

    • anthropmor@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2006
        Is this a 10 week or 16 week course?
        What level student is this for? More specifically, are they familiar with
        anthro, or will people be taking this with no previous anthro knowledge?
        There is a nice little video called "Dream Tales" which has some
        illustrated Yaqui origin myths.
        Popul Voh springs to mind, as well. There are other, Oceanic origin myths
        which I 'm sure would be interesting.
        The Nuer/Dinka east african origin stories are quite good, as well - very
        entertaining. I can't recall the author, but there are beast tales and other
        folklore of the Nuer available, in old copies, of course.
        There is also a possible interesting final couple of weeks for your class,
        as the Origin stories which also feature end of the world scenarios as well.
        Norse Gods, Aztec/ Mesoamerican, Abrahamic, etc.
        Just noodling, - Mike Pavlik

      • Dianne Chidester
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2006
          This is a 16 week course at a community college. Students will be honors students (motivated), but there will not be a prerequisite.

          Thanks, Mike, for the suggestions.