Call for Papers - Reminder

  • rls@linkline.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
      I hope everyone had a happy holiday season - and is now ready to get to
      work on their abstracts for Merida! The deadline for submissions is
      January 20th. If you are submitting your abstract as an attachment,
      please make sure that the file includes your name, institutional
      affiliation and contact information.

      Thanks,

      Becky

      CALL FOR PAPER PRESENTATIONS

      The Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges is holding its annual
      conference in Merida, the capital city of the state of Yucatan in
      Mexico, from March 8-11, 2006. The theme of the conference is The
      Americas: Then and Now.

      Proposals for paper presentations on any topic relating to anthropology
      are welcome. Presentations on teaching anthropology, college-based
      research, outreach programs, and the Americas are particularly
      encouraged.

      In addition to regular paper sessions, luncheon roundtable sessions and
      poster sessions will also be held. Paper presentations are tentatively
      scheduled for 15 minutes. Roundtable presenters will have approximately
      45 minutes in which to discuss their topic with the people who have
      signed up to sit at their table for lunch. Poster presentations will be
      on display for at least one hour. Poster presentations should be
      graphic presentations such as maps, photographs, graphs, charts, and
      tables along with textual summaries of the topic or project. Poster
      sessions allow for a more informal and intimate exchange between
      presenter and audience. Ideally, a poster will be self-explanatory so
      that you can focus on discussion and not on answering obvious questions.

      Abstracts should be no longer than 125 words and must be received no
      later than January 20, 2006. Make sure to include your institutional
      affiliation, contact information and whether you prefer to present a
      paper, a roundtable or a poster with your abstract.

      The abstracts should be sent to Rebecca Stein, preferably via email at
      steinrl@.... Paper abstracts, if necessary, may be sent to Rebecca
      Stein, Department of Anthropology, Los Angeles Valley College, 5800
      Fulton Avenue, Valley Glen, California, 91401.

      Notification of acceptance or rejection of proposals will be completed
      by February 10, 2006. No proposal will be accepted for final inclusion
      in the program until the program chair receives confirmation from the
      AAA, prior to February 22, 2006, that conference registration fees have
      been paid

    • Thomas Stevenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2006
        Becky,
        Here is my abstract. If you would prefer it in another format, please
        let me know. I appreciate your acknowledging receipt.
        Thanks,
        Tom

        Loss Leaders and Self-Service at Wal-Mart and the University:
        Parallels in Marketing and Retention

        Thomas B. Stevenson
        Ohio University, Zanesville Campus

        For the last one hundred years American universities curricula have been
        increasingly geared to the needs of business, industry, or government.
        Coursework is increasingly job-oriented, intended both to fulfill an
        economic need and to increase the perceived relevance of higher
        education. While this may not have been Plato’s intent, this is not
        necessarily bad. In this era of tight budgets and keen competition,
        universities are casting their recruiting nets more widely and adopting
        retail marketing practices to attract students (Kirp 2004; Whiteside
        2004; Morrison 2004; Sevier 2002; Zemsky, Wegner and Massy 2005).
        Sometimes these methods have positive results, enrolling high-quality,
        motivated students. More the glitz and gimmicks lure poorly-prepared,
        lackadaisical pupils. This paper is turns a skeptical anthropological
        eye to these dollars driven tactics.

        --
        Thomas B. Stevenson, Ph.D.
        Associate Professor, Anthropology