Re: SACC-L: Evolution and ID: A TIME Essay

  • Renee Garcia
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2005
      I've been reading the messages and would like to suggest including Chris
      Mooney's book (mentioned previously) "The Republican War on Science". Is it
      extreme for an Intro to Bio. Anthropology, sure, but so are the steps we
      need to take to provide students the more accurate picture of why our
      government and their scientists are trying to disprove the nature of
      science. As well as spending more time teaching scientific methodology and
      especially the difference between an hypothesis and theory (an all too
      common problem in the media). I have invited Dr. Tim Burnett from Scripps
      Inst. of Oceanography to talk about global warming (he published a thorough
      study in Nature last month). He plans on speaking about GE and other
      companies push to negate the effects of this phenomenon. In any case,
      Anthropologists at all levels need to make a concerted effort to teach the
      validity of science and the understanding that it is fallible and that is
      precisely what makes it work.

      If I were able to attend the meeting in Yucatan I would certainly love to
      hear a discussion of how we could become more effective at teaching these
      topics, because clearly at some point we allowed evangelicals and government
      to negate 300 years of good science.

      Renée