Tours at the 2006 SACC Annual Meeting in merida

  • Chuck Ellenbaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2005
      Colleagues

      Here are the almost finalized details about the two half-day tours and the full-day tour at our conference:

      March 9, 2006: ½ day tour of Merida. Two buses, each with a qualified
      >guide, pick the group up at their hotel and do a tour of the city. The tour
      >includes a walking tour of the main square to see the cathedral, the Montejo
      >house and the Governor's Palace. It will also stop at Parque de las
      >Americas and possibly one other place, depending on time.
      >

      > To learn more about the city of Meirda check
      >out:
      >
      > http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-merida.htm
      >

      >March 10, 2006
      >
      >First stop out of Merida will be the town of Uman. There will be a 45
      >minute stop to see the local market and the church of this busy town famous
      >for its honey. We then depart for Yaxcopoil.
      >

      > Yaxcopoil: This 17th century hacienda was once
      >considered one of the most important heneques (sisal) plantations in the
      >Yucatan. It is one of the few haciendas that has been maintained in its
      >original condition. The furnishings that were used during the late 19th
      >century are presented realistically, giving the visitor the effect of
      >stepping back in time. After a one-hour stop here we will head out to
      >Ochil.
      >

      > Ochil: Ochil is a charming and intimate
      >hacienda that houses an informal restaurant, a gift shop, the artisan
      >workshops and a museum. The museum has many interesting photographs that
      >trace the history and restoration of Ochil, as well as examples of products
      >and artifacts from when the haciendas were in full operation.
      >

      > After a stroll around the grounds, a visit to
      >the artisan's village and some light refreshment in their open air
      >restaurant we will start our trip back to Merda.
      >

      > Chuck: check out Yaxcopoil and Ochil at:
      >www.yucatantoday.com/destiations/eng-hacienda-route.htm
      >

      >March 11, 2006: Full day at Chichen Itza: We pick up the group at their
      >hotel and go to Chichen Itza. They will break up into three groups of
      >twenty people for the tour of the site. After the tour there will be lunch
      >and time to explore the site on their own or climb the pyramid before
      >heading back to Merida.

      You can get the call for papers, hotel registration form, and the conference registration form on our web site or by emailing me at >ellenbaumbridge@...<.

      Please forward information about our conference to all who might be interested,

      Thanks.

      Chuck ><>
      Charles O. Ellenbaum
      President, SACC
      707 Shady Avenue
      Geneva, IL 60134 USA
      Cell: 630-404-1261
      Home: 630-262-1281
      >ellenbaumbridge@...<
      De Colores and Ultreya

      "The sea never changes, and its works, for all the talk of man, are wrapped in mystery." Joseph Conrad

      "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it." Herman Melville