RE: [SACC-L] Re: SACC-L: Evolution and ID: A TIME Essay

  • Donohue-Lynch, Brian
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2005
      Seems that on the Time site it has suddenly become "premier content"! (I
      just looked at it a short time ago, then when I went back it said I had
      to have a subscription!)

      But here is another link (one of many) that has reprinted the thing. I
      don't know about the site it comes (just a random selection)... But the
      article is all there.

      http://contanatura.weblog.com.pt/arquivo/2005/11/what_was_god_th.html

      Brian

      From: Chuck Ellenbaum <ellenbaumbridge@...>
      Subject: Evolution and ID: Worldviews of Science and Theology: A TIME
      Essay

      Colleagues

      Given the discussion in SACC-L and in the various news media on
      Evolution and Intelligent Design, I'd like to call your attention to an
      essay in the 11/14/05 issue of TIME magazine by Eric Cornell (2001 Nobel
      Prize for Physics) entitled "What Was God Thinking? Science Can't
      Tell". He discusses how theology should not be trying to do science and
      how science should not be trying to do theology.

      It is concise and well-written. I recommend it as a heuristic essay on
      the subject.

      If you read it, I would be interested in your reaction to it. Do you
      think anthropology and the other behavioral sciences do violence to
      science when we claim a scientific rigor and methodology that might not
      be there? What are the proper epistemological boundaries for
      anthropology? Just as they exist for science and theology, they exist
      for us.

      Chuck ><>
      Charles O. Ellenbaum
      707 Shady Avenue
      Geneva, IL 60134 USA
      Cell: 630-404-1261
      Home: 630-262-1281
      >ellenbaumbridge@...<
      De Colores and Ultreya

      "The sea never changes, and its works, for all the talk of man, are
      wrapped in mystery." Joseph Conrad

      "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger
      heart that pants beneath it." Herman Melville

      John A. Giacobbe, MA, RPA
      cerci1@...
      http://www.nakedscience.org

      Give at-risk students the materials they need to succeed at
      DonorsChoose.org!
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/iEagnA/LpQLAA/HwKMAA/1MXolB/TM

      -------
      NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown
      in the headers. The real sender of this message is:
      sentto-126016-3239-1134056598-bdonohue-lynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
      oups.yahoo.com

      If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
      need to add
      sentto-126016-3239-1134056598-bdonohue-lynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
      oups.yahoo.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more
      information see the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
      http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
      -------