FW: Minority & Authority in Japan

  • Ann Popplestone
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 1999
      From: Karen Nakamura [SMTP:karen.nakamura@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 18, 1999 5:23 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: CFP: Minority & Authority in Japan

      Dear Anthro-L:

      I'm hosting a panel on minority groups and civil protest in Japan for this
      November's AAA in Chicago. We have three panelists aligned and a discussant,
      however we currently need a fourth as one of our original members had to
      withdraw due to personal reasons.

      This panel will be focusing on minority group relations with dominant
      society in Japan. The three other panelists are presenting on: 1) the
      current state and history of the Ainu movement with a focus on its recent
      usage of international "indigenous peoples" discourse; 2) the Burakumin
      Liberation League and its growth to the current moment; and 3) my own
      research on deaf social movements, sign language, and identity issues.

      We're currently seeking a fourth scholar to round out the panel. We'd like
      to particularly welcome ABDs and recent PhDs. Researchers with a particular
      interest in social movement theory, civil society, and processual or
      historical anthropology are also much welcomed, as well as people from other
      disciplines such as sociology, history, or political science.

      If you are interested, or know of someone who may be, please e-mail me as
      soon as possible. The deadline for panel submissions is approaching all too
      quickly and we'd like to close and submit soon.

      Karen Nakamura
      Dept. of Anthropology
      Yale University