RE: [SACC-L] student excuses

  • Pamela Ford
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
      That's a good one, Bob. In that vein, you'll probably also appreciate the
      one I got: "As a result of a DNA test, I had to go to court last Monday."

      Pamela Ford
      Chair, Department for World Studies
      Mt. San Jacinto College
      1499 N. State Street
      San Jacinto, CA 92583
      800.624-5561 x 1533
      909.487-6752 x 1533

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 25, 2008
        Its not the best, but it makes the top ten on the list of unique or creative excuses I've got from my own students. I just got it.

        "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

        Bob
      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
          In a message dated 10/25/2008 5:05:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
          bmuckle@... writes:

          "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

          Bob

          Lucky it wasn't the car

        • Andrew J Petto
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
            If you have both students in the class, you could put them in separate rooms and give them an exam with one question worth 100 points: Which door was it?

            Anj

            ------------
            Andrew J Petto, PhD
            Senior Lecturer
            Department of Biological Sciences
            University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
            PO Box 413
            Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
            414-229-6784
            FAX: 414-229-3926
            http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto

            *************
            http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
            *************

            -- Pat Conroy
            The Prince of Tides

            bmuckle@... writes:

            "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

            Bob

            Lucky it wasn't the car
            ( http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1211202682x1200689022/aol?redir=
            http://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001 )

          • mep1mep
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
              Ooo...oooo...that story made it to snopes.

              http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/flattire.asp

              Great one!� Makes me LOL every time.

              Pam

              ________________________________

              bmuckle@capilanou. ca writes:

              "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

              Bob

              Lucky it wasn't the car
              ************ **Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All of your favorites,
              no registration required and great graphics � check it out!
              ( http://pr.atwola com/promoclk/ 100000075x121120 2682x1200689022/ aol?redir=
              http://www.games com?ncid= emlcntusgame0000 0001 )

            • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                Hey, it's happened to me!!!!!

                What's the quote from Thomas Hardy? Something like..... "Some things are
                too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to be true."

                Dorothy Davis
                Anthropology Department
                UNCG
                Tel- 256-1099

                "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@...>
                Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                10/25/2008 06:04 PM
                Please respond to
                SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
                cc

                Subject
                [SACC-L] student excuses

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                  I almost missed teaching a class once because the power went out and I couldn't find the switch on the brand new garage door opener to let me open the garage door manually! Fortunately, the power returned in time for me to make to school.

                  Deb

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                    I was locked in a bathroom in near hysteria one time! Now I know how to
                    take the door off the hinges!

                    --Dianne

                    ________________________________

                    From: Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER <ddbruner@...
                    <mailto:ddbruner%40uncg.edu> >
                    To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> >
                    Date: 10/27/2008 7:50 AM

                    Hey, it's happened to me!!!!!

                    What's the quote from Thomas Hardy? Something like..... "Some things are

                    too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to be true."

                    Dorothy Davis
                    Anthropology Department
                    UNCG
                    Tel- 256-1099

                    "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@... <mailto:bmuckle%40capilanou.ca> >
                    Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                    10/25/2008 06:04 PM
                    Please respond to
                    SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                    <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> >
                    cc

                    Subject
                    [SACC-L] student excuses

                    Its not the best, but it makes the top ten on the list of unique or
                    creative excuses I've got from my own students. I just got it.

                    "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't
                    work."

                  • Monica Bellas
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                      Whenever a student gives me an excuse for missing an exam, handing in a
                      paper, etc., I relate this true story to them:
                      As I'm driving to Yucaipa to teach a class at Crafton Hills College, I exit
                      the freeway and notice a tow truck parked next to a broken down vehicle.
                      Standing next to this vehicle is a student in my class. By the time I
                      realize what's going on, it's too late for me to stop (and I can't turn
                      around), so I proceed to campus, knowing this student won't be able to turn
                      in her term paper that's due in 10 minutes. I decide to cut her a break, as
                      she's an excellent student and hasn't missed a class all semester. 20
                      minutes into the class, the student shows up and turns in her paper. She
                      insisted that the tow truck driver stop at the college on the way to the
                      repair shop!
                      Now that's dedication!
                      Monica Bellas
                      Cerritos College
                      Norwalk, CA

                      "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                      body,
                      but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...
                      "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"