Re: [SACC-L] student excuses

  • LAWolfe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
      I've been mostly getting dead and hospitalized grandmother excuses, I
      actually would believe the broken condom one. Consider the implications for a
      young male--if his girl friend doesn't take Plan B or does become pregnant and
      decides to keep the child, he'd be lined up for child support for 18 years.

      Leanna

    • Pamela Ford
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
        That's a good one, Bob. In that vein, you'll probably also appreciate the
        one I got: "As a result of a DNA test, I had to go to court last Monday."

        Pamela Ford
        Chair, Department for World Studies
        Mt. San Jacinto College
        1499 N. State Street
        San Jacinto, CA 92583
        800.624-5561 x 1533
        909.487-6752 x 1533

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 25, 2008
          Its not the best, but it makes the top ten on the list of unique or creative excuses I've got from my own students. I just got it.

          "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

          Bob
        • anthropmor@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
            In a message dated 10/25/2008 5:05:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
            bmuckle@... writes:

            "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

            Bob

            Lucky it wasn't the car

          • Andrew J Petto
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
              If you have both students in the class, you could put them in separate rooms and give them an exam with one question worth 100 points: Which door was it?

              Anj

              ------------
              Andrew J Petto, PhD
              Senior Lecturer
              Department of Biological Sciences
              University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
              PO Box 413
              Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
              414-229-6784
              FAX: 414-229-3926
              http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto

              *************
              http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
              *************

              -- Pat Conroy
              The Prince of Tides

              bmuckle@... writes:

              "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

              Bob

              Lucky it wasn't the car
              ( http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1211202682x1200689022/aol?redir=
              http://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001 )

            • mep1mep
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
                Ooo...oooo...that story made it to snopes.

                http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/flattire.asp

                Great one!� Makes me LOL every time.

                Pam

                ________________________________

                bmuckle@capilanou. ca writes:

                "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

                Bob

                Lucky it wasn't the car
                ************ **Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All of your favorites,
                no registration required and great graphics � check it out!
                ( http://pr.atwola com/promoclk/ 100000075x121120 2682x1200689022/ aol?redir=
                http://www.games com?ncid= emlcntusgame0000 0001 )

              • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                  Hey, it's happened to me!!!!!

                  What's the quote from Thomas Hardy? Something like..... "Some things are
                  too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to be true."

                  Dorothy Davis
                  Anthropology Department
                  UNCG
                  Tel- 256-1099

                  "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@...>
                  Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                  10/25/2008 06:04 PM
                  Please respond to
                  SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                  <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
                  cc

                  Subject
                  [SACC-L] student excuses

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                    I almost missed teaching a class once because the power went out and I couldn't find the switch on the brand new garage door opener to let me open the garage door manually! Fortunately, the power returned in time for me to make to school.

                    Deb

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                      I was locked in a bathroom in near hysteria one time! Now I know how to
                      take the door off the hinges!

                      --Dianne

                      ________________________________

                      From: Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER <ddbruner@...
                      <mailto:ddbruner%40uncg.edu> >
                      To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> >
                      Date: 10/27/2008 7:50 AM

                      Hey, it's happened to me!!!!!

                      What's the quote from Thomas Hardy? Something like..... "Some things are

                      too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to be true."

                      Dorothy Davis
                      Anthropology Department
                      UNCG
                      Tel- 256-1099

                      "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@... <mailto:bmuckle%40capilanou.ca> >
                      Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                      10/25/2008 06:04 PM
                      Please respond to
                      SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                      <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> >
                      cc

                      Subject
                      [SACC-L] student excuses

                      Its not the best, but it makes the top ten on the list of unique or
                      creative excuses I've got from my own students. I just got it.

                      "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't
                      work."

                    • Monica Bellas
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                        Whenever a student gives me an excuse for missing an exam, handing in a
                        paper, etc., I relate this true story to them:
                        As I'm driving to Yucaipa to teach a class at Crafton Hills College, I exit
                        the freeway and notice a tow truck parked next to a broken down vehicle.
                        Standing next to this vehicle is a student in my class. By the time I
                        realize what's going on, it's too late for me to stop (and I can't turn
                        around), so I proceed to campus, knowing this student won't be able to turn
                        in her term paper that's due in 10 minutes. I decide to cut her a break, as
                        she's an excellent student and hasn't missed a class all semester. 20
                        minutes into the class, the student shows up and turns in her paper. She
                        insisted that the tow truck driver stop at the college on the way to the
                        repair shop!
                        Now that's dedication!
                        Monica Bellas
                        Cerritos College
                        Norwalk, CA

                        "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                        body,
                        but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...
                        "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"