RE: [SACC-L] student excuses

  • Hare II, William E
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
      I just responded to this and it arrived as an attachment. Anyone know
      why?

      How did you respond Bob?

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
        I've been mostly getting dead and hospitalized grandmother excuses, I
        actually would believe the broken condom one. Consider the implications for a
        young male--if his girl friend doesn't take Plan B or does become pregnant and
        decides to keep the child, he'd be lined up for child support for 18 years.

        Leanna

      • Pamela Ford
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
          That's a good one, Bob. In that vein, you'll probably also appreciate the
          one I got: "As a result of a DNA test, I had to go to court last Monday."

          Pamela Ford
          Chair, Department for World Studies
          Mt. San Jacinto College
          1499 N. State Street
          San Jacinto, CA 92583
          800.624-5561 x 1533
          909.487-6752 x 1533

          I remember about a year ago this list had a good thread about student
          excuses. I have just heard one of the best yet. 'The condom broke and I
          was too stressed to write the test.' The student was male.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Bob Muckle
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 25, 2008
            Its not the best, but it makes the top ten on the list of unique or creative excuses I've got from my own students. I just got it.

            "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

            Bob
          • anthropmor@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
              In a message dated 10/25/2008 5:05:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
              bmuckle@... writes:

              "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

              Bob

              Lucky it wasn't the car

            • Andrew J Petto
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
                If you have both students in the class, you could put them in separate rooms and give them an exam with one question worth 100 points: Which door was it?

                Anj

                ------------
                Andrew J Petto, PhD
                Senior Lecturer
                Department of Biological Sciences
                University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                PO Box 413
                Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                414-229-6784
                FAX: 414-229-3926
                http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto

                *************
                http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
                *************

                -- Pat Conroy
                The Prince of Tides

                bmuckle@... writes:

                "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

                Bob

                Lucky it wasn't the car
                ( http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1211202682x1200689022/aol?redir=
                http://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001 )

              • mep1mep
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
                  Ooo...oooo...that story made it to snopes.

                  http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/flattire.asp

                  Great one!� Makes me LOL every time.

                  Pam

                  ________________________________

                  bmuckle@capilanou. ca writes:

                  "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

                  Bob

                  Lucky it wasn't the car
                  ************ **Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All of your favorites,
                  no registration required and great graphics � check it out!
                  ( http://pr.atwola com/promoclk/ 100000075x121120 2682x1200689022/ aol?redir=
                  http://www.games com?ncid= emlcntusgame0000 0001 )

                • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                    Hey, it's happened to me!!!!!

                    What's the quote from Thomas Hardy? Something like..... "Some things are
                    too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to be true."

                    Dorothy Davis
                    Anthropology Department
                    UNCG
                    Tel- 256-1099

                    "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@...>
                    Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                    10/25/2008 06:04 PM
                    Please respond to
                    SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                    <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
                    cc

                    Subject
                    [SACC-L] student excuses

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                      I almost missed teaching a class once because the power went out and I couldn't find the switch on the brand new garage door opener to let me open the garage door manually! Fortunately, the power returned in time for me to make to school.

                      Deb

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                        I was locked in a bathroom in near hysteria one time! Now I know how to
                        take the door off the hinges!

                        --Dianne

                        ________________________________

                        From: Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER <ddbruner@...
                        <mailto:ddbruner%40uncg.edu> >
                        To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> >
                        Date: 10/27/2008 7:50 AM

                        Hey, it's happened to me!!!!!

                        What's the quote from Thomas Hardy? Something like..... "Some things are

                        too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to be true."

                        Dorothy Davis
                        Anthropology Department
                        UNCG
                        Tel- 256-1099

                        "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@... <mailto:bmuckle%40capilanou.ca> >
                        Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                        10/25/2008 06:04 PM
                        Please respond to
                        SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                        <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> >
                        cc

                        Subject
                        [SACC-L] student excuses

                        Its not the best, but it makes the top ten on the list of unique or
                        creative excuses I've got from my own students. I just got it.

                        "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't
                        work."

                      • Monica Bellas
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                          Whenever a student gives me an excuse for missing an exam, handing in a
                          paper, etc., I relate this true story to them:
                          As I'm driving to Yucaipa to teach a class at Crafton Hills College, I exit
                          the freeway and notice a tow truck parked next to a broken down vehicle.
                          Standing next to this vehicle is a student in my class. By the time I
                          realize what's going on, it's too late for me to stop (and I can't turn
                          around), so I proceed to campus, knowing this student won't be able to turn
                          in her term paper that's due in 10 minutes. I decide to cut her a break, as
                          she's an excellent student and hasn't missed a class all semester. 20
                          minutes into the class, the student shows up and turns in her paper. She
                          insisted that the tow truck driver stop at the college on the way to the
                          repair shop!
                          Now that's dedication!
                          Monica Bellas
                          Cerritos College
                          Norwalk, CA

                          "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                          body,
                          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...
                          "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"