RE: [SACC-L] student excuses

  • Hare II, William E
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
      OK Bob, my curiosity is peaked....how did you respond?

      Will

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
        I just responded to this and it arrived as an attachment. Anyone know
        why?

        How did you respond Bob?

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
          I've been mostly getting dead and hospitalized grandmother excuses, I
          actually would believe the broken condom one. Consider the implications for a
          young male--if his girl friend doesn't take Plan B or does become pregnant and
          decides to keep the child, he'd be lined up for child support for 18 years.

          Leanna

        • Pamela Ford
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 7, 2005
            That's a good one, Bob. In that vein, you'll probably also appreciate the
            one I got: "As a result of a DNA test, I had to go to court last Monday."

            Pamela Ford
            Chair, Department for World Studies
            Mt. San Jacinto College
            1499 N. State Street
            San Jacinto, CA 92583
            800.624-5561 x 1533
            909.487-6752 x 1533

            I remember about a year ago this list had a good thread about student
            excuses. I have just heard one of the best yet. 'The condom broke and I
            was too stressed to write the test.' The student was male.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Bob Muckle
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 25, 2008
              Its not the best, but it makes the top ten on the list of unique or creative excuses I've got from my own students. I just got it.

              "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

              Bob
            • anthropmor@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
                In a message dated 10/25/2008 5:05:18 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                bmuckle@... writes:

                "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

                Bob

                Lucky it wasn't the car

              • Andrew J Petto
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
                  If you have both students in the class, you could put them in separate rooms and give them an exam with one question worth 100 points: Which door was it?

                  Anj

                  ------------
                  Andrew J Petto, PhD
                  Senior Lecturer
                  Department of Biological Sciences
                  University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                  PO Box 413
                  Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                  414-229-6784
                  FAX: 414-229-3926
                  http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto

                  *************
                  http://www.uwm.edu/~ajpetto/scc2.htm
                  *************

                  -- Pat Conroy
                  The Prince of Tides

                  bmuckle@... writes:

                  "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

                  Bob

                  Lucky it wasn't the car
                  ( http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1211202682x1200689022/aol?redir=
                  http://www.games.com?ncid=emlcntusgame00000001 )

                • mep1mep
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 26, 2008
                    Ooo...oooo...that story made it to snopes.

                    http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/flattire.asp

                    Great one!� Makes me LOL every time.

                    Pam

                    ________________________________

                    bmuckle@capilanou. ca writes:

                    "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't work."

                    Bob

                    Lucky it wasn't the car
                    ************ **Play online games for FREE at Games.com! All of your favorites,
                    no registration required and great graphics � check it out!
                    ( http://pr.atwola com/promoclk/ 100000075x121120 2682x1200689022/ aol?redir=
                    http://www.games com?ncid= emlcntusgame0000 0001 )

                  • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                      Hey, it's happened to me!!!!!

                      What's the quote from Thomas Hardy? Something like..... "Some things are
                      too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to be true."

                      Dorothy Davis
                      Anthropology Department
                      UNCG
                      Tel- 256-1099

                      "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@...>
                      Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                      10/25/2008 06:04 PM
                      Please respond to
                      SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                      <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com>
                      cc

                      Subject
                      [SACC-L] student excuses

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                        I almost missed teaching a class once because the power went out and I couldn't find the switch on the brand new garage door opener to let me open the garage door manually! Fortunately, the power returned in time for me to make to school.

                        Deb

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                          I was locked in a bathroom in near hysteria one time! Now I know how to
                          take the door off the hinges!

                          --Dianne

                          ________________________________

                          From: Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER <ddbruner@...
                          <mailto:ddbruner%40uncg.edu> >
                          To: <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> >
                          Date: 10/27/2008 7:50 AM

                          Hey, it's happened to me!!!!!

                          What's the quote from Thomas Hardy? Something like..... "Some things are

                          too strange to be believed, but nothing is too strange to be true."

                          Dorothy Davis
                          Anthropology Department
                          UNCG
                          Tel- 256-1099

                          "Bob Muckle" <bmuckle@... <mailto:bmuckle%40capilanou.ca> >
                          Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
                          10/25/2008 06:04 PM
                          Please respond to
                          SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                          <SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> >
                          cc

                          Subject
                          [SACC-L] student excuses

                          Its not the best, but it makes the top ten on the list of unique or
                          creative excuses I've got from my own students. I just got it.

                          "Me and my friend got locked INSIDE our house. The doorknob wouldn't
                          work."

                        • Monica Bellas
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 27, 2008
                            Whenever a student gives me an excuse for missing an exam, handing in a
                            paper, etc., I relate this true story to them:
                            As I'm driving to Yucaipa to teach a class at Crafton Hills College, I exit
                            the freeway and notice a tow truck parked next to a broken down vehicle.
                            Standing next to this vehicle is a student in my class. By the time I
                            realize what's going on, it's too late for me to stop (and I can't turn
                            around), so I proceed to campus, knowing this student won't be able to turn
                            in her term paper that's due in 10 minutes. I decide to cut her a break, as
                            she's an excellent student and hasn't missed a class all semester. 20
                            minutes into the class, the student shows up and turns in her paper. She
                            insisted that the tow truck driver stop at the college on the way to the
                            repair shop!
                            Now that's dedication!
                            Monica Bellas
                            Cerritos College
                            Norwalk, CA

                            "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
                            body,
                            but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...
                            "HOLY SHIT...WHAT A RIDE!"