FW: Witness [at Dover Trial]: intelligent design needs boost

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2005
      From: Steven A. Edinger [mailto:Steven.Edinger.1@...]
      Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 5:21 PM
      To: James Swan; Science Education List Serve
      Subject: Re: Witness [at Dover Trial]: intelligent design needs boost

      Hey, I liked this so much I forwarded it to the people at National
      Center for
      Science Education. It really puts in perspective the level of bogusness
      in the
      Intelligent Design Creationism camp's approach to science and science
      education!

      SAE

      --On Thursday, October 27, 2005 12:00 PM -0500 James Swan
      <JSwan@...>
      wrote:

      > Yeah, wasn't it a shame how Einstein had to go out and recruit school
      > children so he could get a hearing for his challenge to the dominant
      > Newtonian paradigm in physics? Then Quantum Mechanics had to get the
      support
      > of the children of hundreds of thousands of mechanics worldwide,
      right? And
      > where would Tectonic Plate Theory be had not all of those school
      children
      > picketed the Geological Society of America to get a hearing for that
      > challenge to the hideabound geological paradigm? So, I'm with Fuller:
      time

      *****
      > ** INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING UP FOR AND USING THIS LIST SERVE ARE AT
      THE END
      > OF THIS MESSAGE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO FORWARD THIS TO ANY INTERESTED
      PARTIES.

      *****
      > **
      >

      >> From the York Daily record at YDR.com
      >
      > Witness: intelligent design needs boost
      > He said the science community is closed to the idea, so it needs to be
      in
      > schools.
      > By LAURI LEBO and MICHELLE STARR
      > Daily Record/Sunday News
      > Tuesday, October 25, 2005
      >
      > HARRISBURG * Because the scientific community is a monolith,
      impenetrable and
      > often hostile to new theories, intelligent design proponents have to
      turn to
      > the public schools to recruit support, a witness said Monday.
      >
      > Testifying on behalf of the Dover Area School District in U.S. Middle
      District
      > Court, philosophy of science expert Steve Fuller said intelligent
      design
      > "can't spontaneously generate a following" because the scientific
      community
      > shuts the door on radical views.
      >
      > A sociology professor from the University of Warwick in England,
      Fuller said,
      > "How do you expect any minority view to get a toe hold in science? You
      > basically get new recruits."
      >
      > As Dover's attorney Patrick Gillen questioned him, Fuller talked of
      > intelligent design as being a possible scientific-revolution in
      waiting in
      > which it challenges the "dominant paradigm" of evolutionary theory.
      >
      > While he stopped short of calling for such a revolution, Fuller spoke
      of
      > science's broad acceptance of "neo-Darwinian synthesis" * the unifying
      > concepts of Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection and Gregor
      Mendel's
      > theory of genetics * being a problem for competing ideas.
      >
      > In the First Amendment trial, Fuller is the second expert witness to
      take the
      > stand on behalf of the defense. At issue is a statement read to Dover
      high
      > school biology students in which they are told that intelligent design
      is an
      > alternative to evolutionary theory.
      >
      > In often rapid-fire delivery that at times taxed the court reporter's
      > stenographic skills, Fuller said intelligent design is a scientific
      theory
      > that should be taught in school.
      >
      > But during cross-examination, he said intelligent design * the idea
      that the
      > complexity of life requires a designer * is "too young" to have
      developed
      > rigorous testable formulas and sits on the fringe of science.
      >
      > He suggested that perhaps scientists should have an "affirmative
      action" plan
      > to help emerging ideas compete against the "dominant paradigms" of
      mainstream
      > science.
      >
      > The pool of peer reviewers is smaller than it has been because, as
      scientific
      > research gets more and more specialized, there are fewer people in
      that
      > specialty and even fewer of them are willing to peer review pieces,
      Fuller
      > said. Consequently, grant money also goes to fewer researchers, he
      said.

      > "People don't want to judge the validity of a scientific theory based
      on who
      > is talking about it and promoting it."
      >
      > Later, outside the courthouse, Fuller said that public school science
      class is
      > an appropriate setting for intelligent design in order to keep it from
      being
      > "marginalized in cult status."
      >
      > "I don't know where you think future scientists come from," he said.
      >
      > But Eugenie Scott, executive director of the National Center for
      Science
      > Education, disagreed, saying the purpose of public school education is
      > educate students, "not feed some theoretical pipeline."
      >
      > And Nick Matzke, a spokesman for the pro-evolutionary science
      organization,
      > said students need to learn established theories first before they can
      begin
      > to question them.
      >
      > "If a scientist was to overturn evolution they would first have to
      learn about
      > it," he said. "It would have to be a revolution from within."
      >
      > As a philosopher, Fuller testified he remains open to all new views,
      even
      > though he maintains that at the moment, evolutionary theory is a
      better
      > explanation of the biological world.
      >
      > "I want to see where intelligent design is going to go," Fuller said.
      >
      > Fuller also said that while intelligent design's roots are religious,
      so are
      > the roots of most scientific ideas, pointing to Isaac Newton's desire
      > understand the natural world through God's eyes.
      >
      > But there remains prejudice against intelligent design, he said.
      >
      > Fuller told the court that one of the problems of science is with the
      very
      > definition of "scientific theory," which is the idea of well
      substantiated
      > explanations that unify a broad range of observations. He said by
      requiring a
      > theory to be "well substantiated," it makes it almost impossible for
      an idea
      > to be accepted scientifically. But Fuller was actually proposing the
      > definition for hypothesis * an untested idea that is the first step
      toward a
      > theory.
      >
      > "Does a theory have to be well established to be scientific?" he said.
      "That
      > means the dominant theory would always be."
      >

      > Please see the Ohio Citizens for Science's web page at:
      >

      > http://OhioScience.org

      ---

      steven.edinger.1@...
      > Ohio University Office: (740)
      593-9484
      > Athens, Ohio 45701-2979 Fax: (740) 593-0300

      ---

      *****
      > ** INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING THE LISTSERVE SCIEDU-L

      MESSAGE.

      > Address the message to: listserv@...
      >
      > The body of the message must only say: SUBSCRIBE sciedu-l
      >
      > Do not include a signature block, quotes or any other text in the
      "SUBSCRIBE"
      > message when signing up for the listserve.
      >

      > Use the following address to send mail to the list.
      >
      > To: sciedu-l@...
      >

      > Further administrative requests regarding this list are listed below.
      Please

      *****

      *****
      > **

      > "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of
      > evolution." Theodosius Dobzhansky, 1973

      Please see the Ohio Citizens for Science's web page at:

      http://OhioScience.org

      "The hypothesis we accept ought to explain phenomena which we have
      observed. But they ought to do more than this: our hypotheses ought to
      foretell phenomena which have not yet been observed.'
      -- William Whewell (1794-1866) English mathematician, philosopher

      "Taken over the centuries, scientific ideas have exerted a force on our
      civilization fully as great as the more tangible practical applications
      of scientific research."
      -- I. Bernard Cohen (1914- ) U. S. historian of science

      "There is no adequate defense, except stupidity, against the impact of
      a new idea."
      -- Percy Williams Bridgman (1882-1961) U. S. physicist, Nobel Prize,
      1946