RE: [SACC-L] Re: Who is Scott A. Lucas? (Who can afford to attend aconference?): No Small Factor

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
      OK Bryan, this old, soon-to-retire Midwesterner agrees with most of your
      points made and challenges your youthful Eastern self to put your energy
      and skills to the task! I offer to share this role of Membership
      Development with you in preparation for your running for office to
      replace me in the next round of elections for VP SACC memberbship. We
      should add a Western younger female member and southern middle-aged
      gender-explorer to fill out our team, (I am actually serious on the
      regional and team need) I have a large mailing list to help us and let's
      get moving! I do think, however, that each of us can find supplemental
      sources for travel support, internal and external grants for instance,
      and I would be glad to lend my voice of experience for those options!

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
        Hi Mark, et al,

        I will re-submit my offer to start a regional effort here in New
        England. What I would like to see with the regional chapters is an
        organization that makes sense logistically. Should we be New England,
        Southern New England,et.? If we want to have regional meetings, then
        they need to be designated with realistic driving distances to encourage
        participation.

        Will

[...]

        -------
        NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown
        in the headers. The real sender of this message is:
        sentto-126016-3097-1128612711-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@...
        o.com

        If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
        need to add
        sentto-126016-3097-1128612711-whare=trcc.commnet.edu@...
        o.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more information see
        the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
        http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          I have always taken the position that the locals or in this case,
          regionals, know best what their cultural/geographical boundaries should
          be for a regional network. Define it yourself in discussion with other
          regional folks, like Bryan and get back to us with your regional name
          and boundaries

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
            I would love to attend the next meeting as I have a particular topic I'd
            like to "feel out" among colleagues, however, my budget is limited. So , any
            suggestions any of you have as to external funding resources would be
            greatly appreciated information.

            Renée

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
              I get messages in digest form, so I have just read a number of them that talk about creating regional organization within SACC. Great to hear!

              There's another (more mundane) reason why regional meetings are a good idea. My institution (and I suspect others at this time of stretched budgets), tries to save money by insisting that when we do go to a conference that we go only to regional (presumably with lesser travel expense) meetings and not to centralized, national meetings. I have not heard of any of our faculty getting funded for a national meeting this year, but there are a small number going to regional meetings.

              I'm in Minnesota. Who's in the upper midwest?