on-line introductions

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
      That's a great idea, Bob.

      I could be a poster boy for the so-named class of "elderly, retired
      midwesterners" Leanna referred to. I taught anthropology and Spanish
      at Des Moines Area Community College in Iowa (DMACC) for most of 30
      years, retiring in 2000. My emphasis was in cultural anthropology
      and I did some fieldwork in Mexico. In 1991, I became editor of
      Teaching Anthropology: SACC Notes and contributing editor for SACC's
      section column in the AAA's Anthropology News. I've attended SACC
      annual meetings regularly since 1990.

      Our travel funding at DMACC was always minimal and unpredictable. In
      the earlier years, I could sometimes wangle 50% support for a
      conference if I paid the other half. Otherwise they only gave me
      leave time and I paid my own way. When I became editor, the dean
      agreed to fund one conference a year and I used that for SACC. When
      I attended AAA meetings, it was always at my own expense.

      I liked teaching a lot and I think I was pretty good at it. However,
      for the last decade of my career, my involvement in SACC provided an
      enhancement that balanced my teaching duties and kept me from burning
      out as I saw happen to some DMACC colleagues. SACC meetings
      introduced me to interesting places�many I'd never visited�and also,
      of course, to a whole bunch of interesting people. I agree with
      Leanna that we regulars became a kind of social club, and I enjoy and
      appreciate the opportunity to have become friends with many of my
      SACC colleagues and to grow old(er) with them (we're not really old
      yet)! And the social club is always open and welcoming to newcomers
      of any age.

      After retiring, I've stayed with SACC and use the annual meetings as
      mini-vacations, driving or (weather permitting) motorcycling to them
      when possible and taking extra time to see additional attractions in
      the area and en route. This has allowed me to maintain some
      involvement in anthropology since I still read and think about the
      stuff anyway. Of course, retirement for me so far has been one
      heluva vacation in any case. Recent national events have reminded me
      that my apparent life-time job will likely end before that of Chief
      Justice Roberts (he's 16 years my junior)!

      In sum, SACC has been good for me. I hope that some of my SACC
      colleagues who soon face retirement will choose to continue their
      SACC affiliation (even if they're not midwesterners). It's been a
      great ride, folks. It would be sad to see it end.

      Cheers,
      Lloyd

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
        I'm happy to contribute mine. Am looking forward to reading more.

        I've trained as an archaeologist and completed my Ph.D. (after 19 years of diversions and graduate school) with a specialty in archaeology (ask me about late Iron Age Finnish funerary practices!). After graduating from the U of Minn, I did the job circuit, but between family needs and my dislike of obscure rural locales, I ended up adjuncting locally for two years and working in museum administration for four years. When the stock markets tanked around 2002 (and so did non-profit budgets), I was laid off and started looking for teaching work again. I answered an ad for teaching one sociology course at Anoka-Ramsey Community College and was hired suddenly during the first week of class when the first-choice hire resigned. That was interesting!

        Since then, I've been picking up anthropology courses because (luckily for me) the previous anthropology instructor retired. I am now teaching ca. 4 courses per semester (5 is considered full-time), but my position is not "permanent." Rather, it is renewed (or not) each term. However, I enjoy working in Minnesota. We have union support and get treated rather well compared to other parts of the country, I hear (other than the sore point of professional development funding).

        I enjoy teaching now more than I did formerly because I am able to stay at a single school and get involved with faculty activities. I also find I enjoy these students more than many I had in the past. ARCC has a large number of transfer students aiming to go to a 4-year program, and anthropology attracts this sort of student. I even get a few who wish to be anthropology majors. Also, I do enjoy teaching online, and I have 1-2 courses per term online. The schedule flexibility allows me to take care of continuing family issues. So what I thought would be a temporary employment has turned into long-term. I'm now starting my third year.

        Other than that, I have a book coming out next year. It is a high school reference book published by Greenwood Press, called "Daily Life in Arthurian Britain," referring, of course, to the fifth and sixth centuries and recent advances in archaeological research.

        Deborah Shepherd

        Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
        Anthropology and Sociology
        Anoka-Ramsey Community College