RE: [SACC-L] Re: Who is Scott A. Lucas? (Who can afford to atten d aconference?)

  • Pamela Ford
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
      Howdy,

      Like Will, the last time I could attend was Vancouver. I thought it was the
      best meeting of almost any kind that I have ever attended, worth every
      penny, most of which were my pennies, not the college's eensy travel fund.
      The reality for us in community college is that there just won't ever be
      scads of money for travel.

      In that light, the idea of some short & sweet regional gatherings is a great
      idea. We do that in California over the mid-January 3-day weekend.

      But I cannot attend that every year either, even though it is very valuable.
      Even though Scott Lukas doesn't participate (and he would probably get a
      kick out of this conversation sparked by his very existence), I don't think
      SACC is doing anything wrong. We all live complicated lives: sometimes we
      can participate and sometimes we can't. I would hate for SACC to make big
      changes and discover that the changes cannot accommodate everyone either.

      One of the most helpful things any of our professional organizations can do
      is to be somewhat consistent and to let its membership know well ahead of
      time the dates and locations for meetings. (We all look at meetings for
      SACC, AAA, SAA, and our local groups and figure out if we can attend. We
      make choices.)

      But, we CAN recruit more members! Or we can recruit colleagues to enroll in
      this wonderful list. And when some of our meeting announcements come as a
      flyer, send print copies (and emails) to our adjunct faculty to inspire
      them. Someone just told me that one can enroll in SACC only, as opposed to
      enrolling in AAA and SACC. Is this true? We should let people know....

      Pamela Ford
      Chair, Department for World Studies
      Mt. San Jacinto College
      1499 N. State Street
      San Jacinto, CA 92583
      800.624-5561 x 1533
      951.487-6752 x 1533

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
        Yes, this is true, Pam. One can subscribe to TEACHING ANTHROPOLOGY:
        SACC NOTES for $15 a year (2 semiannual issues). The subscriber is
        then a "de facto" member of SACC with two exceptions: s/he cannot
        hold office and does not have free access to AnthroSource, AAA's
        online archival files. (These are AAA rules and as a section of
        AAA , SACC must honor them in order to maintain its section status.)
        Otherwise the subscriber has the same access to SACC as a regular
        member, e.g., can attend conferences for the same registration fee
        and present papers, can access SACC's website and can participate in
        this SACC ListServ.

        I think you California community college anthropologists are
        fortunate. Apparently there are enough of you to be able to create
        successful regional coalitions and meetings.

        As a regular SACC conference goer, I appreciate yours and Will's
        favorable comments about the meetings you have attended. When I meet
        new conferees and then don't see them again or not for a number of
        years, I often wonder if it was because they didn't enjoy themselves
        or felt that SACC wasn't worth their time or money. Perhaps after
        all it is just the scarcity of travel funds.

        Lloyd

      • rls@linkline.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
          On that note, I should remind everyone that the 2006 SACC conference will be
          March 8-12 in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. The call for papers and other
          information will be going out this week or next.

          --Becky

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
            I am delighted with the remarks from Pamela Ford because they stated
            clearly and positively the thoughts and feelings of myself and many
            others. Yes, most community colleges are not generous with faculty
            travel money, but you should know that universities are often worse. I
            will never forget traveling on plane to AAA with C. Loring Brace and
            hearing him tell about how he was on standby to cut flying costs and
            paid for our shared cab because he had to cut corners more than I did. I
            write grants for projects and build in travel funds...just one
            suggestion, but for me, SACC meetings are so good that I would pay those
            prices for an annual travel experience with good ideas, people and rare
            field trips. After next year's retirement, I am sure that Sally and I
            will continue to go to SACC meetings and participate. By the way,
            Pamela, Will and Deborah, we need your leadership and ideas in
            SACC-please run for national office soon and that alone may very well
            increase your chances for travel support-it did it for me! Mark