Re: [SACC-L] Re: Who is Scott A. Lucas? (Who can afford to attend a conferen...

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
      In a message dated 10/4/2005 12:51:44 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      deborah.shepherd@... writes:

      Do other members (technically I'm not even a member because I haven't paid
      for a membership since I'm saving my funds for a travel year) have such
      serious economic problems with SACC participation?

      Deborah

      I get no reimbursement at all.
      Mike Pavlik

    • LAWolfe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
        This has been a fascinating thread as we hear from people who rarely if ever
        attend SACC Conferences explain who they are and what SACC means to them.
        In any case I'm inspired to take a crack at this.

        I attended my first SACC Conference in 1990 in Merida Yucatan. I mostly
        went because I'd done field work in the Yucatan some years earlier and wanted an
        excuse to return to the village in which I'd lived. At the conference I met
        Lloyd -- and following the conference we drove out to the village he'd done
        field work and began a long and wonderful friendship. When I began writing
        about my personal research journey on multiple partner sexuality he readily
        published four of my essays in SACC Notes. (One is being reprinted in the
        upcoming Annual Editions Anthropology 06/07)

        When SACC held its 1996 Conference in LA, I attended at least in part
        because its my home and I wouldn't need to deal with airfares or hotels. Inspired
        by the collegiality despite that my research interests (polygamy/polyamory)
        were far apart from the other SACC presenters, I managed to get myself to
        every meeting for the next four years. Being a part timer, I'd get small
        stipends from the different colleges I'd be teaching at, then I'd search the web for
        low airfares or cash in frequent flier miles, look for others to share hotel
        rooms and/or stay with family, friends or Servas (Peace and Justice travel
        network) hosts. I developed friendships with Mark, Barry, Tony and
        Frank...but often felt a disconnect with many of the midwesterners. I liked going out
        to dinner with one person at a time -- the boisterous group dinners were not
        my style.

        Eventually I faced that I'd be better off doing my professional networking
        with people who have more similar research interests and I focussed on
        attending Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality and polyamory and swinging
        conferences. I did reappear at last year's Montreal meetings--it was fun
        reconnecting with old friends, but despite using some frequent flier miles and
        getting a small stipend from my school, I decided that I didn't get enough
        professionally (re: my research interests) to commit to attending regularly.

        If I may make one further anthropological observation, I find the SACC
        Conferences to be heavily populated by aging and retired midwesterners--it
        functions much as a social club -- with perhaps a day devoted to a hugely eclectic
        scattering of papers -- and then the rest of the weekend gets devoted to
        socializing in the form of field trips and meals. While I so appreciate the
        complete lack of pretentiousness amongst SACC anthropologists, I do find other AAA
        conferences more academically stimulating.

        Leanna Wolfe