Re: [SACC-L] Who is Scott A. Lucas? (Who is SACC?)

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      In a message dated 10/3/2005 11:56:49 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      lloyd.miller@... writes:

      As you indicated, Brian, I think that if we grow in the future, it
      will be with adjuncts—the 20 something to 50 yr. old folks who teach
      a variety of subjects including anthropology, with little job
      security and no benefits. I don't know exactly how to reach them or
      make us interesting to them. Tom Stevenson (himself a long-time
      adjunct) wrote an engaging analysis of his college's faculty social
      structure (to be published in the next issue of SACC Notes). A major
      point he makes is that full-time and adjunct faculty observe informal
      rules of not communicating with each other. Perhaps we, the
      comfortably graying, tenured full-timers, need to violate those
      taboos and start talking with adjuncts and welcoming them into our fold.

      Yes- In a recent strike at a group of community colleges, adjunct who
      honored the full time faculties lines and would not cross were let go.
      Full time faculty said little.

    • Dianne C
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
        Hi!

        Could someone send me Barry's comments and the discussion previous to
        Lloyd's comments? I have not gotten this thread and would like to know
        more.

        Thanks!
        Dianne

      • Renee Garcia
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
          Hi All,

          I am a new faculty at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo California and
          although I am not yet a member of your organization I do plan to become one
          shortly, particularly after the comments I've read here.

          I was told of your organization by my colleague Claire Cesario-Silva and
          decided to investigate. However, when I went to the website I discovered
          that information was largely unavailable. That is, the links were not up,
          current information on the coming conference was also not very helpful.
          Because my interest is great I sent an email to Lloyd and have subsequently
          become apart of the emailing list.

          I thought it would be helpful for you to know this information as it comes
          from someone who has been teaching for about five years and never heard of
          your organization. But I certainly look forward to being apart of new
          developments.

          Thank you for your efforts,

          Renée Garcia

          Renee Garcia, MA
          Saddleback College
          Dept. of Anthropology
          Universite de Bordeaux I
          Anthropologie Biologique
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
            Lloyd presents, as usual, some significant suggestions as well as
            clarifying the issues. In addition to Scott another non-attending SACC
            person won the initial AAA Teaching Award in its first year, along with
            Dave McCurdy. I would certainly support inviting and paying the reg.
            fee for a reception honoring Scott and/or a discussion of "innovative
            teaching at the community college" or some forum to find out more about
            what he has accomplished. I also sincerely hope that we can plan ways
            to activate the idea discussed earlier: Regional webnetworks and
            newsletters coordinated by Regional VP's. If I had some additional
            assistance as SACC VP to organize this effort (hint) I would help get
            this off the ground over the next year or so.