RE: [SACC-L] Who is Scott A. Lucas? (Who is SACC?)

  • Donohue-Lynch, Brian
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi Barry, et al.

      Tongue-in-cheek I have modified Barry's original subject line
      above....to raise a second point.

      I have been an SACC member for quite a while now, but have not been
      able to attend the annual meetings regularly. I thoroughly enjoyed
      meeting with people in Savannah-- my last time with the annual
      conference was, dare I say, back in Boston! Meanwhile, I have found the
      newsletter an invaluable part of identifying (and identifying with) the
      group.

      But beyond this I am not sure how the average potential member
      gains a sense of the organization. Now in the 21st century, I would
      imagine that most people, for one thing, would look to the www for
      clues, but since the SACC website still reminds us to set our calendars
      for Savannah, and teases us with buttons to link to regional clusters
      that do not open in new browsers...it may look to the curious that "the
      lights are on but nobody is home."

      One thing that impressed me in Savannah was the ongoing
      participation and commitment of so many people who have retired! And
      then there was the wave of listserv messages post-conference that
      reflected how many more SACC members were heading to retirement as well.
      As one who started teaching only twelve years ago--in a system with no
      pension plan--I can only envy all this retirement talk...and wonder,
      will there be enough of us around who are still teaching, to keep
      something like the SACC going if not growing?

      There are only a few of us in the Connecticut Community College
      system who are anthropologists with regular anthropology courses (many,
      like myself, cover several areas including sociology). But there have
      to be more people in our region who would love to get together to feed
      into SACC activities. It makes me wonder, too, about the other regional
      groups and how they are doing.

      Besides sharing this set of thoughts, I wonder what others think
      about my modification of Barry's original question:
      Who is SACC?

      Brian Donohue-Lynch
      Anthropology/Sociology
      Quinebaug Valley Community College
      Danielson, CT 06239
      www.qvcc.commnet.edu/brian

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
        Barry & Brian, et.al: two great questions. You've both, in your own
        ways, raised important issues about SACC.

        Barry, your comments about Scott Lukas piqued my interest so I read
        the piece in the AN on him. Wow! If the description is accurate,
        he's accomplished more than I ever imagined possible, and (from his
        photo) he's still a young man. Then I looked up his name on the
        current mailing labels for SACC Notes and sure enough, he's a
        member. However, I also do not remember meeting him at a SACC
        conference (though I'm even older than you). I think I'll write him
        a congratulatory note, but more important, perhaps our president or
        president-elect might invite him to give a presentation in Merida.
        I'd enjoy hearing in more detail about all the stuff he's been
        doing. Maybe SACC could pay his registration and we could have a
        reception to honor him.

        Brian, your comments really got to me; the truth stings. Our
        publication reaches only current members/subscribers—a little over
        300. Our AN column reaches basically the same crowd plus (maybe) a
        few others who happen to read section columns other than their own.
        I believe that the Internet is our main hope for making potentially
        interested people aware of us. We must improve our website: make it
        current with both information and up-to-date linkages that really do
        link. Ann and Jo, if you read this, please communicate with each
        other and update the site. If you can't, let the officers know so
        that other arrangements can be made. I think that an effective
        website should be our top priority.

        As you indicated, Brian, I think that if we grow in the future, it
        will be with adjuncts—the 20 something to 50 yr. old folks who teach
        a variety of subjects including anthropology, with little job
        security and no benefits. I don't know exactly how to reach them or
        make us interesting to them. Tom Stevenson (himself a long-time
        adjunct) wrote an engaging analysis of his college's faculty social
        structure (to be published in the next issue of SACC Notes). A major
        point he makes is that full-time and adjunct faculty observe informal
        rules of not communicating with each other. Perhaps we, the
        comfortably graying, tenured full-timers, need to violate those
        taboos and start talking with adjuncts and welcoming them into our fold.

        With his stated background and accomplishments, perhaps Scott Lukas
        can contribute to this. He sounds like a man with good ideas and the
        skills to make them happen.

        Cheers,
        Lloyd

      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
          In a message dated 10/3/2005 11:56:49 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          lloyd.miller@... writes:

          As you indicated, Brian, I think that if we grow in the future, it
          will be with adjuncts—the 20 something to 50 yr. old folks who teach
          a variety of subjects including anthropology, with little job
          security and no benefits. I don't know exactly how to reach them or
          make us interesting to them. Tom Stevenson (himself a long-time
          adjunct) wrote an engaging analysis of his college's faculty social
          structure (to be published in the next issue of SACC Notes). A major
          point he makes is that full-time and adjunct faculty observe informal
          rules of not communicating with each other. Perhaps we, the
          comfortably graying, tenured full-timers, need to violate those
          taboos and start talking with adjuncts and welcoming them into our fold.

          Yes- In a recent strike at a group of community colleges, adjunct who
          honored the full time faculties lines and would not cross were let go.
          Full time faculty said little.

        • Dianne C
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
            Hi!

            Could someone send me Barry's comments and the discussion previous to
            Lloyd's comments? I have not gotten this thread and would like to know
            more.

            Thanks!
            Dianne

          • Renee Garcia
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
              Hi All,

              I am a new faculty at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo California and
              although I am not yet a member of your organization I do plan to become one
              shortly, particularly after the comments I've read here.

              I was told of your organization by my colleague Claire Cesario-Silva and
              decided to investigate. However, when I went to the website I discovered
              that information was largely unavailable. That is, the links were not up,
              current information on the coming conference was also not very helpful.
              Because my interest is great I sent an email to Lloyd and have subsequently
              become apart of the emailing list.

              I thought it would be helpful for you to know this information as it comes
              from someone who has been teaching for about five years and never heard of
              your organization. But I certainly look forward to being apart of new
              developments.

              Thank you for your efforts,

              Renée Garcia

              Renee Garcia, MA
              Saddleback College
              Dept. of Anthropology
              Universite de Bordeaux I
              Anthropologie Biologique
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
                Lloyd presents, as usual, some significant suggestions as well as
                clarifying the issues. In addition to Scott another non-attending SACC
                person won the initial AAA Teaching Award in its first year, along with
                Dave McCurdy. I would certainly support inviting and paying the reg.
                fee for a reception honoring Scott and/or a discussion of "innovative
                teaching at the community college" or some forum to find out more about
                what he has accomplished. I also sincerely hope that we can plan ways
                to activate the idea discussed earlier: Regional webnetworks and
                newsletters coordinated by Regional VP's. If I had some additional
                assistance as SACC VP to organize this effort (hint) I would help get
                this off the ground over the next year or so.