Re: Lessons for Leno- Defending Community Colleges

  • rls@linkline.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23, 2005
      She's also coming to the Los Angeles area (to LA Valley College on Sept 28).
      For anyone interested, here's the info:

      talk-show host Jay Leno, Dr. Betty Young, President of Ohio's Northwest
      State Community College, has organized a motorcycle/news tour across the
      country at eight community colleges to draw attention to widespread
      misconceptions about, and the importance of community colleges.

      We are asking that you and your class of students will attend a news
      conference at Valley College to support the message that community college's
      change lives for nearly 12 million students each year.

      Valley College will serve as the host college for the LACCD at a News
      Conference:

      When: Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 10 am

      Where: Monarch Square (flagpole area)

      Who: Rocky Young, LACCD Chancellor
      : Dr. Betty Young, President, Northwest State Community College
      : Dr. Georg Boggs, President, American Association of Community Colleges
      (AACC)
      : other LACCD Presidents, Trustees, and business leaders
      Theme: Community colleges provide an economic engine for the U.S. and
      provide a skilled, competitive workforce

      Dr. Betty Young has asked Jay Leno to accompany her on his Harley Davidson-
      the same model bike that she has- to tell him the 'facts' about community
      colleges. She will be a guest at the "Tonight Show" taping on September 27
      and has requested a meeting with Mr. Leno either before or after the show.

      Dr. Betty Young champions community college's because years ago, as a single
      mother with two jobs in rural Ohio, she earned an AA at a local community
      college which changed her life. She continued her education and earned a
      doctorate and a law degree.