Re: SPAM: 10.0 SpamScore - [SACC-L] bare-bones archaeological text book

  • Robert Muckle
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22 10:57 AM
      Deborah,

      There are a few fairly good and inexpensive 'bare-bones' texts out of
      Britain, but which are available in the U.S.. One is 'Archaeology: The
      Basics, 2nd ed' by Clive Gamble (Routledge, 2004). Another is
      'Archaeology: A Very Short Introduction' by Paul Bahn (Oxford, 1996).
      You might also want to take a look at 'Prehistory: A Very Short
      Introduction' by Chris Gosden (Oxford, 200).

      'Archaeology: Introductory Guide for Classroom and Field' by Ellis E.
      McDowell-Loudan is very short, and focuses on field work.
      (Pearson/Prentice Hall 2002).

      Although a bit longer, a few other books out of Britain might be worth
      considering. These include 'The Archaeology Coursebook, 2nd edition'
      (Grant, Gorin, and Fleming 2005; Routledge)and 'Archaeology: An
      Introduction, 4th ed (Greene 2002).

      'The Practical Archaeologist, 2nd edition' (Checkmark/Facts on File,
      1999) isn't designed as a textbook, but might suit your purpose.

      I think the brief/condensed texts by Fagan; Thomas; and Ashmore and
      Sharer just aren't very cheap anymore.

      I know that Thames and Hudson were considering doing a brief version of
      the very comprehensive 'Archaeology: Theories, Methods, and Practice,
      4th ed' by Renfrew and Bahn, but don't know if that is going ahead.

      Of course, if you can wait a bit (and stand an unabashed, self-serving
      plug)...my own text, with the tentative title of 'Introducing
      Archaeology' might also suit your needs. It is scheduled for a 2006
      release and should be very reasonably priced.

      Bob Muckle

      >>> deborah.shepherd@... 9/21/2005 1:34:57 PM >>>
      Does anyone know of a decent "bare-bones" text that explains
      archaeological method in a short and readable format? I'm looking for
      something short and cheap because it would be one of five required
      (equally short and cheap) books for a new environmental anthropology
      class that includes discussion of past civilizations.

      Thanks for any help!
      Deborah

      Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
      Anthropology and Sociology