RE: [SACC-L] bare-bones archaeological text book

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21 2:00 PM
      I find that Ashmore's Discovering Our Past amazingly concise and
      informative for our students, just a little better than Fagan.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 21 4:13 PM
        I just received an ad for Doing Archaeology: A Cultural Resource Management
        Perspective by Thomas King. You can get an exam copy. Go to
        www.LCoastPress.com. It's supposed to be short and sweet. Or wait til Bob
        Muckle has his book finished!

        Pamela Ford
        Chair, Department for World Studies
        Mt. San Jacinto College
        1499 N. State Street
        San Jacinto, CA 92583
        800.624-5561 x 1533
        909.487-6752 x 1533

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22 7:51 AM
          Greetings

          I'm not real sure about an archaeology book, but you might want to check out
          Patricia Towsend's Environmental Anthropology: From Pigs to Politics.
          Another book that is sometimes used in Environmental Anthropology is Richard'
          Lee's ethnography The Dobe Ju/'hoansi.

          What are the other books you are using???

          Mary Pulford
          University of Wisconsin-Superior

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26 2:00 PM
            Thanks, everyone, for all the good advice. I'll be waiting for Bob Muckle's book and have a few other titles on my list to check out. I hadn't ever seen or heard of Bahn's "Very Short Introduction." My goal with this course is to offer an environmental introduction without prerequisites alongside our existing courses of cultural anthropology and physical anthropology. (I hope to add Principles of Archaeology next year.) For Environmental, I want to acquaint students with anthropological writing concerning both current and past cultures while giving them enough proper theory to assess what they are reading. I expect I shall have to put strong emphasis on lecture to tie this all together. I think I will start with the current societies and then do the past societies since the latter are more complex and, in my view, require more theory in order to be understood correctly. I also think it would be a good experience for the students not to have an ordinary textbook outlining the entire course, for a change. To answer Mary Pulford's question, I'm using Robert Netting's Cultural Ecology (2nd ed., Waveland Press) for sure and Brian Fagan's trade book, The Long Summer," quite probably. I'm also using two short ethnographies. (Because Allyn & Bacon offer a discount with certain pairs of books), I'm looking at "AlterNatives: Community, Identity and Environmental Justice on Walpole Island" by Robert VanWynsberghe and "Ariaal Pastorialists of Kenya (studying pastoralism, drought, and development*" by Elliot Fratkin, both published by AB Longman. I either provide the archaeological theory completely by lecture and video, or I find something really short and cheap. Total cost is always an issue.

            I own a copy of Clive Gamble's book and find it very heavy on theoretical approaches. I'm afraid that will be too off-putting to beginners who are also not majors in the field. I just got a copy of Kevin Greene's "Archaeology: an Introduction," 4th ed. It is still too much text (and too costly) for my purposes but a very nice book for an archaeology course.