RE: [SACC-L] Lessons for Leno- Defending Community Colleges

  • Donohue-Lynch, Brian
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 21, 2005
      More details on this would be very useful. (Anyone keeping track of
      this on the web?)

      Brian Donohue-Lynch
      Anthropology/Sociology
      Quinebaug Valley Community College
      Danielson, CT 06239

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 21, 2005
        Yeah, I don't watch Leno so would like to know what he said. I hope
        Dr. Young's herculean efforts are successful. Mike, is JJC Joliet
        Junior College?
        Lloyd

      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2005
          JJC is Joliet Junior College - the nations oldest, at 103. Thats the reason she started there.
          I don't watch Leno, either. Certainly not with any regularity. And teaching nights means I mostly don't get home til after the monologues, anyway.
          I hope Brian got my off list e-mail, which had the attachments that were sent out at school.
          I'll try checking out her site later.
          Mike Pavlik

          Yeah, I don't watch Leno so would like to know what he said. I hope
          Dr. Young's herculean efforts are successful. Mike, is JJC Joliet
          Junior College?
          Lloyd

          On Sep 21, 2005, at 7:53 AM, Donohue-Lynch, Brian wrote:

          > More details on this would be very useful. (Anyone keeping track of
          > this on the web?)
          >
          > Brian Donohue-Lynch
          > Anthropology/Sociology
          > Quinebaug Valley Community College
          > Danielson, CT 06239

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • rls@linkline.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2005
            She's also coming to the Los Angeles area (to LA Valley College on Sept 28).
            For anyone interested, here's the info:

            talk-show host Jay Leno, Dr. Betty Young, President of Ohio's Northwest
            State Community College, has organized a motorcycle/news tour across the
            country at eight community colleges to draw attention to widespread
            misconceptions about, and the importance of community colleges.

            We are asking that you and your class of students will attend a news
            conference at Valley College to support the message that community college's
            change lives for nearly 12 million students each year.

            Valley College will serve as the host college for the LACCD at a News
            Conference:

            When: Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 10 am

            Where: Monarch Square (flagpole area)

            Who: Rocky Young, LACCD Chancellor
            : Dr. Betty Young, President, Northwest State Community College
            : Dr. Georg Boggs, President, American Association of Community Colleges
            (AACC)
            : other LACCD Presidents, Trustees, and business leaders
            Theme: Community colleges provide an economic engine for the U.S. and
            provide a skilled, competitive workforce

            Dr. Betty Young has asked Jay Leno to accompany her on his Harley Davidson-
            the same model bike that she has- to tell him the 'facts' about community
            colleges. She will be a guest at the "Tonight Show" taping on September 27
            and has requested a meeting with Mr. Leno either before or after the show.

            Dr. Betty Young champions community college's because years ago, as a single
            mother with two jobs in rural Ohio, she earned an AA at a local community
            college which changed her life. She continued her education and earned a
            doctorate and a law degree.