Lessons for Leno- Defending Community Colleges

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2005
      Hi Folks- Here is what is going on at JJC, where I teach. If you want more info, or would like to find out if your school is on the tour, let me know.
      Mike Pavlik

      Clip from *******
      Dear Campus Community,
      On Tuesday, Dr. Betty Young from Northwest State Community College in Ohio will come to campus with her1993 Harley-Davidson, making JJC her first stop in a nationwide Lessons for Leno tour.

      Due to the continued cheap shots about community colleges by Tonight Show host Jay Leno, Dr. Young is challenging the late night comedian by riding her Harley (at points along the way) and stopping at community colleges throughout the United States. During her tour, she will emphasize the importance of community colleges while promoting a Lesson for Leno at each stop. Her last stop is LA where she hopes to have a Harley-to-Harley discussion with Mr. Leno.

      We ask the JJC community to join us as we welcome Dr. Betty Young to campus, on Tuesday, September 20 at 8:30 a.m. The event will begin at a Ribbon Cutting for the new student bridge (over the lake) at that time, continue in the cafeteria at 9 a.m. for a "meet Dr. Betty" get-together, and then at 10 a.m. for the formal presentation-press conference. Our Lesson for Leno is "Community Colleges have a Legacy of Service to the community.

      The Lessons for Leno tour is being sponsored by various businesses and organizations and the American Association for Community Colleges (AACC).

    • Donohue-Lynch, Brian
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 21, 2005
        More details on this would be very useful. (Anyone keeping track of
        this on the web?)

        Brian Donohue-Lynch
        Anthropology/Sociology
        Quinebaug Valley Community College
        Danielson, CT 06239

[...]

        DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a student project
        today!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/G7lQgA/FpQLAA/HwKMAA/1MXolB/TM

        -------
        NOTE: The sender of this email is different from the email address shown
        in the headers. The real sender of this message is:
        sentto-126016-3050-1127259388-bdonohue-lynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
        oups.yahoo.com

        If you want to permanently block the sender of this email, you would
        need to add
        sentto-126016-3050-1127259388-bdonohue-lynch=qvcc.commnet.edu@...
        oups.yahoo.com to your Anti-Spam Blocked Senders List. For more
        information see the Anti-Spam FAQ item:
        http://www.commnet.edu/it/security/anti-spam-faq.asp#BlockRealSender
        -------
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 21, 2005
          Yeah, I don't watch Leno so would like to know what he said. I hope
          Dr. Young's herculean efforts are successful. Mike, is JJC Joliet
          Junior College?
          Lloyd

        • anthropmor@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 21, 2005
            JJC is Joliet Junior College - the nations oldest, at 103. Thats the reason she started there.
            I don't watch Leno, either. Certainly not with any regularity. And teaching nights means I mostly don't get home til after the monologues, anyway.
            I hope Brian got my off list e-mail, which had the attachments that were sent out at school.
            I'll try checking out her site later.
            Mike Pavlik

            Yeah, I don't watch Leno so would like to know what he said. I hope
            Dr. Young's herculean efforts are successful. Mike, is JJC Joliet
            Junior College?
            Lloyd

            On Sep 21, 2005, at 7:53 AM, Donohue-Lynch, Brian wrote:

            > More details on this would be very useful. (Anyone keeping track of
            > this on the web?)
            >
            > Brian Donohue-Lynch
            > Anthropology/Sociology
            > Quinebaug Valley Community College
            > Danielson, CT 06239

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • rls@linkline.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23, 2005
              She's also coming to the Los Angeles area (to LA Valley College on Sept 28).
              For anyone interested, here's the info:

              talk-show host Jay Leno, Dr. Betty Young, President of Ohio's Northwest
              State Community College, has organized a motorcycle/news tour across the
              country at eight community colleges to draw attention to widespread
              misconceptions about, and the importance of community colleges.

              We are asking that you and your class of students will attend a news
              conference at Valley College to support the message that community college's
              change lives for nearly 12 million students each year.

              Valley College will serve as the host college for the LACCD at a News
              Conference:

              When: Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 10 am

              Where: Monarch Square (flagpole area)

              Who: Rocky Young, LACCD Chancellor
              : Dr. Betty Young, President, Northwest State Community College
              : Dr. Georg Boggs, President, American Association of Community Colleges
              (AACC)
              : other LACCD Presidents, Trustees, and business leaders
              Theme: Community colleges provide an economic engine for the U.S. and
              provide a skilled, competitive workforce

              Dr. Betty Young has asked Jay Leno to accompany her on his Harley Davidson-
              the same model bike that she has- to tell him the 'facts' about community
              colleges. She will be a guest at the "Tonight Show" taping on September 27
              and has requested a meeting with Mr. Leno either before or after the show.

              Dr. Betty Young champions community college's because years ago, as a single
              mother with two jobs in rural Ohio, she earned an AA at a local community
              college which changed her life. She continued her education and earned a
              doctorate and a law degree.