the Flying Spaghetti Monster

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
      From: broruprecht@...

      Subject: Pastafarians Rejoice! Intelligent Design finally
      identified! Hallelujah & Pass the Pesto!
      Date: September 4, 2005 12:46:53 PM CDT
      To: lloyd.miller@...

      (For your frivolous amusement...).

      The Flying Spaghetti Monster goes mainstream

      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/29/arts/design/29mons.html

      By SARAH BOXER

      Published: August 29, 2005

      Is the super-intelligent, super-popular god known as the Flying
      Spaghetti Monster any match for the prophets of intelligent design?

      This month, the Kansas State Board of Education gave preliminary
      approval to allow teaching alternatives to evolution like intelligent
      design (the theory that a smart being designed the universe). And
      President Bush and Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee both gave the
      thumbs up to teaching intelligent design.

      Long before that, Bobby Henderson, a 25-year-old with a physics
      degree from Oregon State University, had a divine vision. An
      intelligent god, a Flying Spaghetti Monster, he said, "revealed
      himself to me in a dream."

      He posted a sketch on his Web site, venganza.org, showing an airborne
      tangle of spaghetti and meatballs with two eyes looming over a
      mountain, trees and a stick man labeled "midgit." Prayers to the
      Flying Spaghetti Monster, his site says, end with "ramen," not "amen."

      Then, Mr. Henderson, who says on his site that he is desperately
      trying to avoid taking a job programming slot machines in Las Vegas,
      posted an open letter to the Kansas board.

      In perfect deadpan he wrote that although he agreed that science
      students should "hear multiple viewpoints" of how the universe came
      to be, he was worried that they would be hearing only one theory of
      intelligent design. After all, he noted, there are many such
      theories, including his own fervent belief that "the universe was
      created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster." He demanded equal time in
      the classroom and threatened a lawsuit.

      Soon he was flooded with e-mail messages. Ninety-five percent of
      those who wrote to him, he said on his Web site, were "in favor of
      teaching Flying Spaghetti Monsterism in schools." Five percent
      suggested that he would be going to hell. Lawyers contacted him
      inquiring how serious he was about a lawsuit against the Kansas
      board. His answer: "Very."

      This month, the news media, both mainstream and digital, jumped in.
      The New Scientist magazine wrote an article. So did Die Welt. Two
      online encyclopedias, Uncyclopedia and Wikipedia, wrote entries on
      the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The Web site Boingboing.net mounted a
      challenge: "We are willing to pay any individual $250,000 if they can
      produce empirical evidence which proves that Jesus is not the son of
      the Flying Spaghetti Monster."

      Now, Mr. Henderson says on his Web site, "Over 10 million people have
      been touched by His Noodly Appendage." But what does that mean? When
      push comes to shove, will the religion that has come to be known as
      Pastafarianism do what it was intended to do - prove that it is
      ridiculous to teach intelligent design as science?

      Mr. Henderson, who said in an e-mail message that his divine vision
      was induced by "a lack of sleep and a mounting disgust over the whole
      I.D. issue," has wit on his side. His god not only resembles human
      brains (proof, a fan writes, that "we were created in His image") but
      also looks like the kind of bacteria that proponents of intelligent
      design hold up as too complex to be the work of evolution alone.

      Two-dozen academics have endorsed the pasta god. Three members of
      the Kansas board who already opposed teaching intelligent design
      wrote kind letters to Mr. Henderson. Dozens of people have posted
      their sightings of the deity (along with some hilarious pictures).

      One woman even wrote in to say that she had "conceived the spirit of
      our Divine Lord," the Flying Spaghetti Monster, while eating alone at
      the Olive Garden. "I heard singing, and tomato sauce rained from the
      sky, and I saw angel hair pasta flying about with little farfalle
      wings and playing harps," she wrote. " It was beautiful." The
      Spaghetti Monster, she went on, impregnated her and told her, "You
      shall name Him...Prego ... and He shall bring in a new era of love."

      Parody is a lot of fun. And parody begets more parody, especially on
      the Internet. It's contagious. But has anyone ever converted to a
      parody religion?

      The history books show that parody isn't always the smartest strategy
      when it comes to persuasion. Remember Galileo? Some recent scholars
      say that it may not have been his science so much as his satire,
      "Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems," that got everyone
      steamed up. Under threat of death, Galileo ended up recanting his
      view that the earth revolves around the sun, and had to wait 350
      years for vindication.

      And yet the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster flourishes. It
      even has schisms. A rival faction, based on SPAM (Spaghetti & Pulsar
      Activating Meatballs), has formed. And there's bickering, Mr.
      Henderson said in an e-mail message, about whether the god is made of
      spaghetti or linguini. Those people, he noted, "give me a headache."

    • Lightld@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2005
        Lloyd,
        Hilarious! Bill says "Lloyd doesn't have enough to do!"
        Linda

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
          Hey Linda, I didn't write it, just passed it on. Others have agreed
          with Bill, though. I guess my life moves opposite to that old adage
          that "work expands to fill the time available." It's great, though;
          I love it!
          Best,
          Lloyd

        • Lightld@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
            Lloyd,
            I should have added my own response to Bill in my first message. I said to him, "Look who's talking!"
            Linda

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
              I have been observing my senior mentors as I aproach my 35th and last
              year before retirement,
              And have concluded that Lloyd is working "just enough", or doing what he
              wants to do, when he wants to do it. That is just what I am looking
              forward to.
              Hey Linda, I didn't write it, just passed it on. Others have agreed
              with Bill, though. I guess my life moves opposite to that old adage
              that "work expands to fill the time available." It's great, though;
              I love it!
              Best,
              Lloyd

              On Sep 6, 2005, at 7:00 PM, Lightld@... wrote:

              > Lloyd,
              > Hilarious! Bill says "Lloyd doesn't have enough to do!" Linda

            • Rebecca Cramer
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
                Wow, Mark, congrats!
                I feel my decision to leave the college in December was just awesomely liberating. I consider it a change of direction, and already have a full plate of projects. The nice thing is they're ones I've chosen and always wanted to pursue. Best of luck with yours. I hope you'll stay with SACC. See you in Merida?
                Rebecca

                The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.